No announcement yet.

The Mental Health Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My midlife has been for embracing feral behavior and doing things 18 year old me would have frowned upon.

I've been embraced by the local queer community as Mama Bear. Did my first drag performance. Learned to go ahead and eat the cake because I'm alive. Appreciating the days I get to sit at home with no makeup, braless, and covered in Dorito dust.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

A motorcycle can be an experience purchase rather than (or in addition to) a toy purchase. After teaching for a year after undergrad, I bought a bike, packed it with cooking and camping gear, camera equipment, clothes, and some cash and headed south, destination unknown. That extended road trip lasted 5 years and ended in NoCal. It wasn't at mid life, but it was a time when my friends and schoolmates were building careers and getting grad or professional school out of the way. I'm sure it cost me some in terms of career track, but I treasure the experiences I had during that time and am glad I chose that path. Later, after 14 years learning a trade, I headed off to law school with a wife and two-year-old. That change worked out well for both of us as well.

Uno's situation is different in that he has put himself in a good place professionally (and personally, it sounds like), so big changes present bigger risks. It is the experiences rather than the things that give lasting value, though, as several have pointed out.

Comment

Taking care of mental health is so important, both for ourselves and our pets. Pets can have a huge positive impact on our well-being, but they need proper care too. If you're looking for an easy way to get pet medications without a vet visit, Pet Prescription Without Vet is a great option. It can make managing your pet's health a lot less stressful.

Last edited by tyrone; 05-30-2024, 02:52 AM.

Comment

Lately, I've been super depressed. Something that's kept me going is reminding myself "there is no (good thing that I enjoy) 6 feet underground." No pierogis, no potstickers, no Drag Bingo or Drag brunches, no late night Taco Bell runs...
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            Lately, I've been super depressed. Something that's kept me going is reminding myself "there is no (good thing that I enjoy) 6 feet underground." No pierogis, no potstickers, no Drag Bingo or Drag brunches, no late night Taco Bell runs...
            no USCHO. You have allies here to reach out to.

Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

So at the suggestion of my better half to not wait until the heat of summer to take the MSF basic skills class, still had the itch by Memorial Day so signed up and ended up doing it this weekend.

Yeah, definitely going to keep doing it. Will probably spend most of this summer just riding around in parking lots and my neighborhood getting comfortable, but the few times we got up to speed (relatively, like 20 mph) in the class I was grinning ear to ear.

Comment

Life gets more satisfying and more rich the older one gets, so while more things happen that are saddening, you develop ways of dealing with them, and appreciating the joys of life, even faster. Living is a learned skill. You are always developing and becoming stronger and more able to deal with all the myriad challenges, both situational and two-legged. And your perspective keeps deepening, and you genuinely do gain wisdom.

Tolstoy said "the Kingdom of God is within you." You contain infinite depths of resilience and strength. I'm not saying anything you don't already know.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                  So at the suggestion of my better half to not wait until the heat of summer to take the MSF basic skills class, still had the itch by Memorial Day so signed up and ended up doing it this weekend.

Yeah, definitely going to keep doing it. Will probably spend most of this summer just riding around in parking lots and my neighborhood getting comfortable, but the few times we got up to speed (relatively, like 20 mph) in the class I was grinning ear to ear.
                  First time I got on a bike was after purchasing a 550 Honda and had to ride it back home 15 miles away. Only about 2 miles out I had to make a left turn at a lighted intersection. I was so ignorant I had to walk it through the intersection. Young, foolish, and ready to try just about anything. Took lessons after that and eventually had a fairly long-lasting love affair with riding bike on the open road. Whether it's curvy mountain roads or an empty prairie highway near sundown, it can be magical.

Comment

One thing that has helped me a lot is maintaining a healthy work-life balance and finding activities that I enjoy to relieve stress. For instance, I recently discovered the importance of proper vision care for my overall well-being. Straining my eyes all day was causing headaches and adding to my stress levels. I decided to check out glassesusa, and getting the right pair of glasses made a huge difference. Not only did it improve my productivity, but it also made me feel more comfortable throughout the day. It’s amazing how small changes can have a big impact on our mental health!
                    Last edited by tyrone; 06-19-2024, 11:36 PM.

Comment

There's a web site that may be of help.

https://www.sicknotweak.com/
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

First time I got on a bike was after purchasing a 550 Honda and had to ride it back home 15 miles away. Only about 2 miles out I had to make a left turn at a lighted intersection. I was so ignorant I had to walk it through the intersection. Young, foolish, and ready to try just about anything. Took lessons after that and eventually had a fairly long-lasting love affair with riding bike on the open road. Whether it's curvy mountain roads or an empty prairie highway near sundown, it can be magical.
                        Honestly, it's a bit absurd that I will now get my M-class endorsement on my license after having been on a motorcycle for all of 10 hours, and that's being extremely generous counting all of the hours on the parking lot portion of the class. Take out the demonstration and instruction time and just sitting around in line / waiting for my turn to do things, and it was maybe 5 hours of actual riding time, tops. But I could now theoretically go buy the fastest sport bike I can find and ride it on the open road without any more training or restrictions (and not even have to wear a helmet or any other safety gear, at least here in Iowa).

Obviously, I'm not going to do that, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the 18-year-old kids who were in the class is probably going to.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post

Honestly, it's a bit absurd that I will now get my M-class endorsement on my license after having been on a motorcycle for all of 10 hours, and that's being extremely generous counting all of the hours on the parking lot portion of the class. Take out the demonstration and instruction time and just sitting around in line / waiting for my turn to do things, and it was maybe 5 hours of actual riding time, tops. But I could now theoretically go buy the fastest sport bike I can find and ride it on the open road without any more training or restrictions (and not even have to wear a helmet or any other safety gear, at least here in Iowa).

Obviously, I'm not going to do that, but I'm pretty sure at least one of the 18-year-old kids who were in the class is probably going to.
                          Eh. Let Darwinism take its course. With motorcycle accidents it's unlikely to cause a death to a non-rider
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Eh. Let Darwinism take its course. With motorcycle accidents it's unlikely to cause a death to a non-rider
                            I get that, and I understand licensing in all forms, whether a driver's license, a bar license, a medical license, or whatever, is a marker of minimum competence and not proficiency. I guess for me I'd probably set that bar of minimum competence a little higher in this case.

Then again, I took the written test today in order to get the actual endorsement on the license, took all of about 10 minutes to do it, and the DOT clerk, apparently being serious and not sarcastic, congratulated me for passing cause it was a hard test that many people fail. So who knows...

Comment

Congrats, but stay safe uno
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

In the past month and a half, I've lost my job and my apartment, the brakes went out on my car, and I had to surrender my cat aa a result of losing my apartment.

Bur after going through all that and checking into a women's emergency shelter, my depression and suicidality have dropped, probably because my basic needs are being met.

Comment

Working...
                                X