This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post

So you're fine with charging the pilot and cabin crew with crimes for helping transport the lady from Texas to get healthcare?
    Terrible equivalency. As stated she is choosing to leave to get her abortion she is not being trafficked. The migrants either don't know what is happening or are being tricked into doing it. The DOJ would be all up in the azz of the drivers of busses if this was Underaged White Women being transported by bus to be tricked out for the Super Bowl. (which I learned was a bad issue when the SB was here) We wouldn't even be having this discussion half the people here would be calling for the drivers heads on a pike.

In the beginning I agree you don't charge the drivers because they don't know what is going on its just a job. Now they can't claim ignorance they know the score this has been happening for what 2 years? People like that in scams and crimes get charged all the time...they are always the first ones and they then help take down the big dogs. They are 100% assisting in human trafficking and they can't hide behind the guise of "oh I just drive the bus! How was I supposed to know?!?!?!". What you think it is just a coincidence that your random charter in MissingChromosome, FL has 100 Guatemalans on it that just so happen to be making a pilgrimage to Chicago? What does the driver think they are all just a little tardy for Latino Heritage Month at Soldier Field? Yeah they can phuck all the way off with that one...especially if there are children on any of these busses. They know what they are doing and I would bet money most have zero issue with it. If they do they have ample opportunity on the 32 hour drive to make a call to the DOJ or the Chicago PD or ICE or just run a Google Search for Migrant Rights and call one of them. And what are the chances some of those drivers would or have done multiple routes? Yeah sorry you turn a blind eye to that kind of injustice I have zero sympathy for you.

edit: posted before I saw your mea culpa. Coffee tends to help ;^)
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They're just some idiots with bills. If they're actually enthusiastic supporters of trafficking, nail them for that.
      This isn't speeding or some victimless crime. This is human trafficking. Would you be ok if they were just idiots with bills hired to kill someone?

these are felonies and we can't just ignore that because they've got bills

edit: as for the bus owners, yeah, start issuing warrants for their arrests too.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Fair enough. Don't post snarky comments before coffee.

I agree with Kepler that the person driving the bus is just a low waged employee that likely doesn't have the occupational mobility to be able to make a decision like this. It is easy to quit a job when you have skills, education, etc than if you're just some easily replaceable dude getting paid close to minimum wage.
        if the boss at work said pour this poison into the river, should we charge the person who did it? Should we feel bad for them because they can't quit and do it anyways? No, screw that.

this isn't something legal but morally dubious. It's a felony.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

This isn't speeding or some victimless crime. This is human trafficking. Would you be ok if they were just idiots with bills hired to kill someone?

these are felonies and we can't just ignore that because they've got bills

edit: as for the bus owners, yeah, start issuing warrants for their arrests too.
          I agree - we should be arresting the drivers. Unfortunate for the first few who take the fall, but the word would spread extremely quickly through the bus driver community to turn down those gigs. No drivers, no buses. Problem solved.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

if the boss at work said pour this poison into the river, should we charge the person who did it? Should we feel bad for them because they can't quit and do it anyways? No, screw that.

this isn't something legal but morally dubious. It's a felony.
            So we are saying the guy that pressed the button (yes, oversimplifaction) to change Flint's water supply to a contaminated supply is to blame? Not the people who made the decision in the first place. I am more interested in punishing the decision maker instead of the person that was told to do it.
            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

So we are saying the guy that pressed the button (yes, oversimplifaction) to change Flint's water supply to a contaminated supply is to blame? Not the people who made the decision in the first place. I am more interested in punishing the decision maker instead of the person that was told to do it.
              Lets put it this way:

In your scenario if that was the only factor that did it no. In that case they likely had no idea what they were doing and there was no evidence it would turn out that way.

But...

That is not a good parallel because this is not some new thing that just started last week. The proper parallel would be that every few months some guy needs to go back to that button and press it again, long after the world knows that pressing that button contaminates the water. In that case...yeah that dude needs to "find out" if you catch my drift. Should they go to prison for life...no. But "I need the job man!" is not enough to mitigate the fact that they are knowingly (or at least it is reasonable to assume they know) doing something that is putting people in danger.

The people making the decisions should get the harshest penalties and be sued so hard their great grandchildren are broke but the grunts need to be held accountable too. Blow the whistle when you have the chance there are protections for that and compensation even.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Lets put it this way:

In your scenario if that was the only factor that did it no. In that case they likely had no idea what they were doing and there was no evidence it would turn out that way.

But...

That is not a good parallel because this is not some new thing that just started last week. The proper parallel would be that every few months some guy needs to go back to that button and press it again, long after the world knows that pressing that button contaminates the water. In that case...yeah that dude needs to "find out" if you catch my drift. Should they go to prison for life...no. But "I need the job man!" is not enough to mitigate the fact that they are knowingly (or at least it is reasonable to assume they know) doing something that is putting people in danger.

The people making the decisions should get the harshest penalties and be sued so hard their great grandchildren are broke but the grunts need to be held accountable too. Blow the whistle when you have the chance there are protections for that and compensation even.
                Flint was going on for years. Plenty of people worked on the maintence of the lines and did nothing. Jail cells for all of them since they didn't quit and allowed it to continue poisoning the people of Flint. (Yes, this is absurd.)

We agree on the majority of the point, the true bad guys are/were the government agencies making the choice to fail people. I simply don't see the reason to throw the book at the little guy when there are much better people to throw under the proverbial bus. :-)
                Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• I am failing to see how maintenance is the same thing as knowingly driving a bunch of Migrants across state lines against their will...I mean Trump's pants aren't stretched that thin ;^)
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Depends on the someone.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Judge rules that Texas power plants have no responsibility to provide power during emergencies

honestly, fine. Give the people what they want.

https://www.kut.org/energy-environme...es-judges-rule

Comment

• LOLOLOLOL

Wow.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Get those low taxes in Texas. Of course the only right you have is to be heavily armed, because you're chattel otherwise.
                          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• The judge is right...the way parts of Texas set up their system does mean only certain parts of the system can be held responsible since they have a free market. Problem is it doesn't look anyone knows who that would be. With the way Climate Change is going only Austin is going to exist in a couple of years since they have regulated utilities.

Live free AND die I guess...
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• While a bummer for the families involved in the lawsuits, this decision may be what is needed for the people to demand better and bring about change.

It is Texas though so I’m not holding my breath.
                              the state of hockey is good

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Judge rules that Texas power plants have no responsibility to provide power during emergencies

honestly, fine. Give the people what they want.

https://www.kut.org/energy-environme...es-judges-rule
                                This and the anti-life abortion extremism are proof you'd have to be insane to live in Texas if you have a brain and the money to leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X