• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Heck, the US is playing in Moncton.

Anchorage is bigger than Moncton (and also hosted the World Juniors).
    Going by YouTube and reddit, Anchorage is going to be the new Constantinople after climate change. Crossroads of the world and the crux between Scandinavia, Hawaii, North America, Japan, China, and whatever fifteen countries Russia breaks into.
    Last edited by Kepler; 12-27-2022, 02:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

They don't have to.

Halifax can support a WJC. Halifax has the same SMSA as Eugene, OR.
    Heck, the US is playing in Moncton.

Anchorage is bigger than Moncton (and also hosted the World Juniors).

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    A Seattle/Tri-Cities or Seattle/Spokane tournament could work but it’d be a tough because the US and Canada would have to be in Seattle while charging a premium to have people watch something like Sweden-Czechia in Kennewick or Spokane.

Seattle/Vancouver would be cool but the Canadians aren’t big on sharing.
    They don't have to.

Halifax can support a WJC. Halifax has the same SMSA as Eugene, OR.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

That's a good point, I did not realize the WJ tickets were expensive. The Winter Hawks crowd is very working class. You would also have to give us the US bracket because they hate, hate, HATE Canada.

I'll bet Seattle could support a WJ on its own.

Give Kennewick one game, I love their building.
    A Seattle/Tri-Cities or Seattle/Spokane tournament could work but it’d be a tough because the US and Canada would have to be in Seattle while charging a premium to have people watch something like Sweden-Czechia in Kennewick or Spokane.

Seattle/Vancouver would be cool but the Canadians aren’t big on sharing.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Putting anything World Juniors related in Portland would be seriously risky. The Winterhawks is one thing, the astronomical prices of the World Juniors is another.
    That's a good point, I did not realize the WJ tickets were expensive. The Winter Hawks crowd is very working class. You would also have to give us the US bracket because they hate, hate, HATE Canada.

I'll bet Seattle could support a WJ on its own.

Give Kennewick one game, I love their building.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

Put one group in Seattle and another in Portland and hold the knock out in Vancouver.
    Putting anything World Juniors related in Portland would be seriously risky. The Winterhawks is one thing, the astronomical prices of the World Juniors is another.

Seattle is risky too but at least you can get cross border traffic from BC. Plus they have the arenas in Everett and Kent to use too.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Tampa and Pittsburgh sound like disasters waiting to happen. Vegas is probably a good choice because, well, Vegas (and TBF they have plenty of choices for a secondary arena).

I kinda wish Seattle would bid.
    Put one group in Seattle and another in Portland and hold the knock out in Vancouver.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    As cautious as I am to ever give them any credit, when Boston hosted the World Juniors in 1996 they did a fantastic job promoting it. I think it would be a great site.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

They hold it in Buffalo because of the balmy summer-like weather. Who wouldn't want to spend late December in the warm climes of Buffalo instead of somewhere dreadful like Vegas?
    You joke but I’m willing to bet someone at USA Hockey made an argument like this.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

2025, the year after Sweden.

And I doubt it will be in Buffalo (though I'm sure they will bid again), despite me wishing it so. :-) From what I heard, the leading candidates, in no particular order, are Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Las Vegas. Some suspect Vegas is the top choice.
    Tampa and Pittsburgh sound like disasters waiting to happen. Vegas is probably a good choice because, well, Vegas (and TBF they have plenty of choices for a secondary arena).

I kinda wish Seattle would bid.

Leave a comment:

• ticapnews
    replied
    I was just looking and they don’t have any announced hosts beyond next year in Sweden. I wonder when the US is hosting again and why it’ll be in Buffalo?
    They hold it in Buffalo because of the balmy summer-like weather. Who wouldn't want to spend late December in the warm climes of Buffalo instead of somewhere dreadful like Vegas?

Leave a comment:

• Russell Jaslow
    replied
    I was just looking and they don’t have any announced hosts beyond next year in Sweden. I wonder when the US is hosting again and why it’ll be in Buffalo?

(I know why Buffalo but seriously, can they hold it somewhere other than Buffalo?)
    2025, the year after Sweden.

And I doubt it will be in Buffalo (though I'm sure they will bid again), despite me wishing it so. :-) From what I heard, the leading candidates, in no particular order, are Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Las Vegas. Some suspect Vegas is the top choice.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied

(I know why Buffalo but seriously, can they hold it somewhere other than Buffalo?)

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    CZE did a number on CAN, I did not expect that. LAT's vaunted defense has some problems. SUI upset has at least one longtime Cafe member very happy.

10 is so weird, I'd have liked to see DEN and NOR added to compensate for RUS and BEL.

Last edited by Kepler; 12-27-2022, 12:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• state of hockey
    replied
    Every feed I was finding kept getting shut down. Eventually decided on a free trial of Fubo. It’ll end before the tournament ends, so I’ll be sure to dust off an old email soon here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X