No announcement yet.

2023 World Juniors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was a game in which Canada was likely the more talented team and was probably favored to win, even with the two goals. What is unfortunate is that the game had the makings of a classic US/Canada World Juniors game, regardless of the outcome. The fans and players were denied that, and instead we got a very forgettable game thanks to a couple of very bad calls.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Detroit and Minneapolis are now interested in bidding for 2026

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        Detroit and Minneapolis are now interested in bidding for 2026
        Combined bid or competing bids? I find Detroit a little humorous because ever since LCA opened they kept pushing the GLI further and further down the list before they effectively (or actually) kicked them out this year. On the other hand, they would get a bunch of Canadians to cross the border for the WJC that aren’t coming for college hockey.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Combined bid or competing bids? I find Detroit a little humorous because ever since LCA opened they kept pushing the GLI further and further down the list before they effectively (or actually) kicked them out this year. On the other hand, they would get a bunch of Canadians to cross the border for the WJC that aren’t coming for college hockey.
          I believe competing

Comment

I believe competing
            Interesting. That would mean either Plymouth or Yost as the second arena, so 3,500 or 5,800 capacity. Then again Buffalo did win in 2018 with a secondary arena only seating 1,800.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

If they truly mean Minneapolis only, I assume they would use the Target Center and Mariucci. Mariucci should be reduced to NHL size by then.
              the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                If they truly mean Minneapolis only, I assume they would use the Target Center and Mariucci. Mariucci should be reduced to NHL size by then.
                Russo hinted the X and Wild are interested

Comment

Russo hinted the X and Wild are interested
                  Gutsy, but I like it. The fear of course is having an over half empty 18k arena. If they price things right, it could work. Jets fans come down en masse for their games against the Wild, so a little distance from the border may not matter so much.

That leaves the secondary arena. It would likely be one of the two aforementioned Mariucci or Target Center. TRIA rink only holds 1200, I think that going too low. My personal pick in a perfect world would be the Coliseum. Hell, make it the primary. :^)

https://***********/vintagemnhockey/...xqAD8f-ZmBmaDw

Edit: The refrigeration was removed years ago. Oh well lots of time to get it back in there!
                  Last edited by state of hockey; 01-05-2023, 11:46 AM.

Comment

I would leave the X out of it save for perhaps the gold medal game. They could do Mariucci and Ridder which imho would be better than Target Center.
                    Last edited by Slap Shot; 01-05-2023, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Marriuci will have smaller ice sheet then right?

Comment

Marriuci will have smaller ice sheet then right?
                        Supposedly shifting to NHL size this off-season. Finally.

Edit: Never mind. I guess they’re going to 90’ wide. Really rounding out the corners to 24’ radius as well.
                        Last edited by state of hockey; 01-05-2023, 12:32 PM.

Comment

That gives potential for Mariucci to host the World Championships if they’re moving to 90’ wide. Probably won’t ever happen but that possibility would exist.
                          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

So, why did Olympic lose to NHL? 20 years ago, everyone would probably have bet the other way.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              So, why did Olympic lose to NHL? 20 years ago, everyone would probably have bet the other way.
                              Good question. I am not sure. I just remember when they were building the new Mariucci in the 90's there was no question it was going to be Olympic size. In hindsight that appears to have been a very poor decision.

If I were to guess, I would say that the best reason that it lost was NHL players playing in the Olympics.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Good question. I am not sure. I just remember when they were building the new Mariucci in the 90's there was no question it was going to be Olympic size. In hindsight that appears to have been a very poor decision.

If I were to guess, I would say that the best reason that it lost was NHL players playing in the Olympics.
                                But by that logic it could have gone the other way, right? That could have been pressure to go Olympic everywhere?

Even though we never looked quite as effective on the big sheet, I really wish Olympic had won. Players are monsters compared to 1926. Either remove another player or increase the sheet size.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X