Sanctuary Cities/States - DON'T Come all ye to Bethlehem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a social worker/case manager, I'll tell you this:

Couch surfing is a horrible arrangement. A host can only put them up for a couple days, not long term. I've been homeless a couple times and bounced between friends' homes. It's not fun.

There is probably a significant language barrier between migrants and the residents of MV.

It is completely possible to have empathy for a struggling human and not be able or willing to put them up in your home. The two aren't incompatible.

Regardless of how rich the residents of MV are, money doesn't automatically equal "resources." These residents probably don't know which agency does what and who to contact at those agencies. Then again, right wingers have demonized the social work profession.

​​​​​
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

If MV can’t handle 50 people how are small, poor towns along the border supposed to handle 8k a day? They don’t want ‘people like that’ and kicked them off, simple as. Every town should have to do their bit to house those coming across not just the areas along the border.

Somewhat of a separate issue but there should be harsh financial penalties for owning a second home. It would definitely open up some preexisting supply and give resources to build new supply.
      You must be trolling because nobody could really be this stupid.

They didn't kick them off the island, they coordinated with state officials and worked out suitable housing for them in a nearby town while they work their way through the system since such housing does not exist on the Vineyard.

If these republican governors were serious about finding a solution, they would have notified other states health and human services departments and coordinated a real plan. Instead, they notified Fox news and shipped them to areas that they know do not have the infrastructure so they could use these poor people as political pawns.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

They didn't kick them off the island, they coordinated with state officials and worked out suitable housing for them in a nearby town while they work their way through the system since such housing does not exist on the Vineyard.
        No no, you're wrong and Drew's right, a bunch of random mansions on an island can solve literally any problem ever. If you just read up on amortization tables you would see it clearly.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

There are 40 million cattle in the US, and I am so glad that they are here. They provide us with tasty meat, delicious milk, and hundreds of other wonderful products. They are a part of the fabric of America.

But I guess I’m a hypocrite for not wanting one in my ****ing bedroom.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            There are 40 million cattle in the US, and I am so glad that they are here. They provide us with tasty meat, delicious milk, and hundreds of other wonderful products. They are a part of the fabric of America.

This is exactly the point the people on the border have been trying to make.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

This is exactly the point the people on the border have been trying to make.
              Nobody is asking people in border communities to house migrants in their personal homes.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Nobody is asking people in border communities to house migrants in their personal homes.
                That is correct. The federal government has literally directed many billions of dollars to Florida and Texas to address immigration issues and provide infrastructure. Look at John Cornyn's (R-Tx Senator) and the first thing he talks about with regard to this year's budget authorizations are additional billions of dollars for capital improvements at the border, border patrol staffing and assitance to communities for any impacts. If they are going to send the people out then some of the money should go with them. In fact, if Florida has the funds to fly Texas immigrants to Massachusetts they obviously don't have that big an in-state problem so they should be returning money.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post

Lynah, nice try at deflection, you are a hypocrite. There have been plenty of cows in your bedroom (and I'm sure your dorm room too). :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post

If the people of MV had actually stepped up and not shown their hypocrisy. If these migrants are indeed so great for OUR country, then people of money who vote to let them walk in to OUR country (which really means our house), then take them into YOUR HOUSE. If you dont want the country to have doors with locks, then take the locks off your doors first. Seems pretty simple, but these "compassionate" people of MV thought it was a good idea for .............. 44 Hours. To paraphrase, they are saying, "we already have our gardeners and trash collectors here, let them go work for those peasants of Cape Cod". :-)
                    Go back and watch Ronald Reagan’s speeches and read his writings on immigration. It’s almost like, as crazy as it sounds to come from THE Republican, it’s almost as if immigrants could be a positive thing for the country. (Insert shocked and fainting emojis here.)
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Go back and watch Ronald Reagan’s speeches and read his writings on immigration. It’s almost like, as crazy as it sounds to come from THE Republican, it’s almost as if immigrants could be a positive thing for the country. (Insert shocked and fainting emojis here.)
                      Who is anti-immigrant? Get over yourselves. I have zero problem with immigration. We DO HAVE an immigration policy that allows LEGAL immigrants into the country, even asylum seekers. There is a process in place to accomplish this, but it doesnt include walking across the Rio Grande and saying "here I am, feed me, care for me, give me a free cell phone".

I am the child of LEGAL immigrants who had to be family sponsored to come here, no freebies. If you didnt make it, the sponsor (your family already here) had to come up with the money to support you. That was certainly a lot more motivating for all involved than free handouts, but how do the Dems get votes from that setup?

Comment

The Trump administration stopped letting people that came here for college on Visas to easily stay in the country long term even though they had jobs here. That is beyond ****ing stupid. We don't have a legal immigration policy that makes any ****ing sense. And we don't process asylum seekers whether they have valid claims or not in a timely OR logical fashion.

We also still do not have a logical DACA policy.

The **** is broken. One party is anti-immigrant. The other is not. End the right or die.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Who is anti-immigrant? Get over yourselves. I have zero problem with immigration. We DO HAVE an immigration policy that allows LEGAL immigrants into the country, even asylum seekers. There is a process in place to accomplish this, but it doesnt include walking across the Rio Grande and saying "here I am, feed me, care for me, give me a free cell phone".

I am the child of LEGAL immigrants who had to be family sponsored to come here, no freebies. If you didnt make it, the sponsor (your family already here) had to come up with the money to support you. That was certainly a lot more motivating for all involved than free handouts, but how do the Dems get votes from that setup?
                          Yes, bring us your rested, your well-off, your well-appointed masses, yearning to dine on caviar…
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Lynah, nice try at deflection, you are a hypocrite. There have been plenty of cows in your bedroom (and I'm sure your dorm room too). :-)
                            Dammit. Horses. Shoulda gone with horses.
                            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

A spectacular backfire? Ron DeSantis might have unwittingly helped migrants obtain special visas (msn.com)

What an own goal. Hahahahahaha.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                End the right or die.
                                Scooby continues to suffer the effects from eating a bad shrimp or something. Very angry, can almost see the spit flying from his mouth, sorta like CHRIS from BC back in the day (choo choo boy). Maybe he just needs to get laid for the firs time in a while. Maybe Lynah can spare a cow or two (or now a mention of horses??) to help out?

Comment

Working...
                                X