2022 Atlantic Hurricane Season: Non-Minnesotans arguing about the weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Going on your point- I'm other than making profitable companies suffer some due to lack of climate change policies- any other suggestions to get the people who deny what is going on to pay attention? The fact that the frequency of consistent US landfall locations are pretty rare- there are a ton of people in the Caribbean who go through this really often. Like I feel for Floridians, but in honestly- welcome to the suffering club. There are people in Puerto Rico who are still trying to deal with Maria 5 years since it happened, and they just got hammered with a lot of damage from Fiona. They will certainly not have power for a lot longer than most Florida will... And that's one of 4 islands that are part of the US who have been going through worse hurricanes- think of the rest of the Caribbean.... We've not heard one thing about Cuba- who got a pretty good hit from Ian.

There has to be a way to get people to change. But the only thing that seems to really stick is monetary.
    That we havent done more for Puerto Rico is disgusting...but we have been treating them as 4th class citizens for decades. This is why they need to become a state...as a territory they just don't matter. Americans suck that way.

MSNBC had a guy in Cuba...or what is left of it. Just depressing. That country isn't exactly infrastructurally strong anyways and this is going make it even worse.

I don't know what we can do to fix the problem. Half of us have been screaming for years this is where we would end up, and the other half the country decided they would stick their fingers in their ears and let Jesus take the wheel. We cant just ignore suffering in our borders though, they are citizens and while some of them are reprehensible they still deserve the support and protections we afford everyone. If not who do we abandon next? Are the states in the Midwest in "Tornado Alley" screwed when they come looking for help? How about California when a major earthquake hits or the Fire Season gets even more catastrophic in a couple years? When the winters get out of control cold and snowy and shut crap down is the North SOL? What will the retaliations be from the other side, or worse, from the people on our side we told to get bent? This isn't like The Civil War...the enemy is not south of an imaginary line they are everywhere. Just like we couldn't pinpoint the Covidiots and just let them get sick and die without risking others we can't here either. The whole thing ****ing sucks...

I dont care about winning hearts and minds...half of Flo(R)ida is beyond help. But we can't let ourselves become what they pretend we are, or we are no better than them. If something we do would also be something Trump would suggest or do...then walk the **** away and do the right thing.

As for getting people to change we are just way past that point now. People would rather be comfortable. Americans are all hat and no cattle. Climate Change is just one example. They dont want to make the type of investment it would take to really fix the crisis, just like they dont any other crisis. I have said it before, people (especially Americans) without a hint of irony will go on social media and post about how human rights matter from their Iphones. They use cute banners for their Facebook profile pics about "Abortion Rights" or "LGBTQ Rights" while posting from those accounts about all the companies they frequent that either fund Anti-Women/LGBTQ policies or have a history of terrible conduct towards women and LGBTQ. (WWE fans and Di$ney fans hello!) All we can do is keep trying...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Literally no one said let them die.
      What do you think is going to happen if we just say "**** em"? If you would like a clue...see what certain areas of New Orleans still look like even today because Bush took that tact after Katrina.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Handy- to be sure- I'm not trying to be a jerk about your position- but I have a tough time, like you, getting the message across that we are very much part of the blame these hurricanes are so bad.

Comment

If we are taking a hard stance on living in areas prone to destruction, we have to clear out a large portion of California (fires, earthquakes), and most of tornado alley in the Midwest. Louisiana, as mentioned. Possibly other parts of gulf coast.

or is this just hating on DeSantis? Which i am for.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            If we are taking a hard stance on living in areas prone to destruction, we have to clear out a large portion of California (fires, earthquakes), and most of tornado alley in the Midwest. Louisiana, as mentioned. Possibly other parts of gulf coast.

We perhaps can't prevent building in these areas BUT we can build smarter in those areas. We're a stupid people at this point.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

To me, it's not so much the living in a dangerous location, but the total lack of doing anything to address it. Heck, seeing all of the anti solar and wind signs we saw in our travel to Boston and back- there is active work against addressing it. And where it's bad for Louisiana, they are keeping the poorest in the worst areas in the bad position.

Had DeSantis and other southern leaders actually supported moving away from a HC based power system, maybe some would be more understanding. How much is Florida (the state) going to lose because they intentionally turn their back on global warming, and then end up with a huge hurricane? Sure looks like the conservative position would be to deal with climate change to prevent further losses.

Comment

A "nothing burger".

https://www.boston.com/weather/natio...hurricane-ian/
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

To me, it's not so much the living in a dangerous location, but the total lack of doing anything to address it. Heck, seeing all of the anti solar and wind signs we saw in our travel to Boston and back- there is active work against addressing it. And where it's bad for Louisiana, they are keeping the poorest in the worst areas in the bad position.

Had DeSantis and other southern leaders actually supported moving away from a HC based power system, maybe some would be more understanding. How much is Florida (the state) going to lose because they intentionally turn their back on global warming, and then end up with a huge hurricane? Sure looks like the conservative position would be to deal with climate change to prevent further losses.
                  Agreed. I have more ire towards Florida as desantis is still, this year, not allowing climate change to be considered in official analyses.

CA fires are terrible and I don’t argue with insurers no longer insuring some areas there- but CA is a leader in climate

Comment

Pretty much how I feel
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• The tropical storm that came very near us last Sunday night didn't have immediate impact, but last night a transformer behind my house caught on fire and now I am without wired data and electricity. Using my phone as a hot spot but that doesn't help the house. Should be temporary and compared to what so many more people are probably going through we are blessed.

Comment

• So it looks like Ian will get a second bite at SC, then run due north inland into central NC and peter out. Only FL and SC will get ****ed. Nice aim by god. Call home as many evangelicals as possible, please.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• When I went to survey the yard this morning, there were more trees down than I thought - 8 small (6” diameter, 25’ tall) palm trees. Unfortunately, 6 of them were just leaning on our fence hanging over our neighbor’s patio, so they were a pain to get out of there. They seem to be made of sawdust and water - super easy to cut, but so heavy I couldn’t lift more than about a 6 foot section. Lots of twigs, leaves, and branches down around us, but no damage at all - just a little call out of those of us who don’t do enough preemptive gardening.
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Or how about DeSantis voting against federal aid when Sandy hit NJ because it would be fiscally irresponsible? (Do you think he will reject any federal assistance now?

Originally posted by Ron DeSantis, January 5 2013
                            I sympathize with the victims of Hurricane Sandy and believe that those who purchased flood insurance should have their claims paid. At the same time, allowing the program to increase its debt by another $9.7 billion with no plan to offset the spending with cuts elsewhere is not fiscally responsible.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post

Or how about DeSantis voting against federal aid when Sandy hit NJ because it would be fiscally irresponsible? (Do you think he will reject any federal assistance now?

He should be reminded of that vote when he asks for assistance. As I'm sure he will ask and take it. And then blame Biden for the slow recovery.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

He should be reminded of that vote when he asks for assistance. As I'm sure he will ask and take it. And then blame Biden for the slow recovery.
                                And whine that Biden didn’t kiss his ***.
                                If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Working...
                                X