Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 MidTerms & State races- who ya got?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

I'm struggling to account for this when literally 6 hours earlier you said:

So which is it? Are the kids doomed to repeat the Boomers or are they different?
    The Millennials will be hated the way the Boomers are. And they will have the electoral power to be selfish the way the Boomers are.

But their choices about ethics and society may be different. Well, probably not, they haven't shown any sign of being any different and the leading edge is 40 now, so they'll most likely be Boomers Redux with some changes. Environmentalism, for instance, was started by the Boomers but they were utterly hypocritical about it. Maybe the Millennials won't be seeing as, you know, for their entire lives the planet has been on fire. The generations who come after will be less and less likely to resemble any generation alive now. They wont be the opposite either, they'll just be different.

I'm sorry if I'm being incoherent. I'm trying to get across two very different ideas. One is about generational power, the other is about the evolution of social values. The former is about numbers, the latter isn't predictable except for the likelihood that it will not map to what we think is so important now.

The unifying idea is that every generation in history has fancied itself something special. The specialness of a generation is like the specialness of a human being: for a brief period they get to be alive and their choices are humanity. But then they die and the next generation has the same specialness. There is no transcendent importance or value to any generation. They are all just the same ocean being jiggled about by tidal forces they aren't even aware of.

What is special, good or evil, idiotic or wise, new and exciting or traditional and foundational, is humanity. All the divisions within it are just marketing slogans to get saps to buy stuff.

Last edited by Kepler; 12-30-2022, 09:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Ok, glad someone else noticed that- I read his posts a few times and they def contradict.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Don't count the young out. They are better than their cynical consumerist Boomer and GenX prison guards.
    I'm struggling to account for this when literally 6 hours earlier you said:

Who gets f-cked is driven by numbers. When the Boomers' numbers drop below a tipping point, Millenials will vote themselves all of their money. Because all generations are the same.

I recommend doing this with 100% tax on inheritance and gifts.

The funny part is the Millenials are the next Boomers.

Their numbers dwarf GenX and GenZ. Everything everybody thinks of the Boomers will then be thought of the Millennials.

And it will just as dumb.

So which is it? Are the kids doomed to repeat the Boomers or are they different?

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied

Just you wait for this Court.
    You do realize the states are allowed to make the rules now, right? Michigan just "overturned" the SCOTUS, so abortion is legal here, again. So the court can't make laws, just strike ones down.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

One, that doesn't impact the world wide birth rate or the ability of educated women to get birth control from blue states or Canada.

Two, that's a crystal clear bright red line for my family and we actually start implementing our plan to leave at that point.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

They also lacked birth control.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    And don't pretend the past is indicative of the future. The facts don't back up your assertion pretty much anywhere.
    A perfect self-contradiction in 2 sentences.

Nobody thinks educated women are going back to breeding 6, 7, 8 kids until they die. That isn't what is being argued here.

But I can imagine the eventual rejection of the infantile consumerism that has dominated the lives of 20- and 30-somethings since those Awful Boomers created the culture every young person has indulged themselves in since.

This would obviously imply a change in the dominant culture from the facile tawdry capitalism of the last five decades, but such changes do happen. Intelligent and involved humans will likely not be content to stay perma-children forever, particularly as the lives of young adults become more and more demanding.

We may be already starting to see the end of the literal stupefication of young adults that has drowned culture since the onset of mass media. Just as the church lost its hold, our new tool of mass hypnosis may eventually fail.

Don't count the young out. They are better than their cynical consumerist Boomer and GenX prison guards. And the ultimate act of youthful rebellion would be to reject the pathetic strawman of youthful rebellion that has been used to turn the young into suckers for 50 years.

Leave a comment:

• unofan
    replied

Yes, the point is that has been the social fashion among educated people for the last 50 years, but it may be beginning to swing back again. Nothing is forever. Every "new truth" in society is merely a repetition of an old truth. Social history is the oscillation between different cultural emphases. A healthy culture doesn't freeze, it keeps adapting to new circumstances.

We have, literally, no idea what social and ethical mores will be in fifty years.

It's not as if the educated people of prior centuries were less intelligent, sincere, curious, or self-aware. They were merely people of their time, playing their hand. Their choices would make no sense today, and our choices will make no sense tomorrow.

Do not privilege the present. It's just another transient time interval.
    They also lacked birth control.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    To be fair, kep is right about morality and time.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    And don't pretend the past is indicative of the future. The facts don't back up your assertion pretty much anywhere.

Hell logic pretty much goes against you...educated women aren't going to waste time popping out kids at a rate that will be anything close to what the God Freaks and inbreeders do. They understand the values of money and balance in life and they aren't giving that up. It's literally happening everywhere. Millennial and Gen Zers just aren't being that fruitful. When the Boomers die off The Earth will breathe again...

Leave a comment:

• MichVandal
    replied

Yes, the point is that has been the social fashion among educated people for the last 50 years, but it may be beginning to swing back again. Nothing is forever. Every "new truth" in society is merely a repetition of an old truth. Social history is the oscillation between different cultural emphases. A healthy culture doesn't freeze, it keeps adapting to new circumstances.

We have, literally, no idea what social and ethical mores will be in fifty years.

It's not as if the educated people of prior centuries were less intelligent, sincere, curious, or self-aware. They were merely people of their time, playing their hand. Their choices would make no sense today, and our choices will make no sense tomorrow.

You'll have to force your kids to make up for the lack of kids we have.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

My wife and I have discussed the morality of having children. I guarantee we're not the only ones.

Last edited by Kepler; 12-30-2022, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Lol no it’s not. At all.
    My wife and I have discussed the morality of having children. I guarantee we're not the only ones.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Not happening kep.
    Lol no it’s not. At all.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Not happening kep.
    Oceans rise, empires fall