Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 MidTerms & State races- who ya got?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I find irony in that reasonable people (so not republicans) are willing to compromise on gun laws but when it comes to abortion laws, conservatives are all or nothing.
    Democrats compromise. Even AOC. Republicans do not. On anything.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Comment


    • It is a zero sum game for the GOP because, ironically, they made deals with the devil. When you have ideas the majority hate you are beholden to the hardcores. When you are on a holy mission (like Evangelicals are) there is no negotiation. Half the GOP bleating on about this could honestly care less about abortion that is why they are all so badly informed and their arguments make no sense.

      When Dodds came down my girlfriend and I got in a fight over the fact that a lot of women support the banning of abortion. She said that it came from the fact that a lot of women have no idea what goes into an abortion ban or even what the majority of abortions deal with. I said a lot dont care cause of the God nonsense and because there is a subset that still exists that think Phyllis Shlafley is a hero. As we learn more and more about the GOPs falling numbers what you are seeing is that my girlfriend was right. A lot of the people who were ok with Dodds had no idea what an abortion ban truly is. Like when Trump was going to end Obamacare and a bunch of old Faux viewers (redundant much?) realized that their "ACA Coverage" was Obamacare and flipped the switch. As they realize how much it impacts everyone, they are souring faster and faster. And the GOP can't mitigate it at all, because in most states if you even support "for the health of the mother" you risk losing the support of the Party and the donors.

      Basically we have such an uninformed populace at this point we are lucky we are as advanced as we are.
      Last edited by Handyman; 08-13-2022, 10:41 AM.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

      "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

      Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

      Comment


      • Compromise is weakness.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

        Comment


        • Possibly an interesting development in the North Dakota U.S. Senate seat up this November.

          John Hoeven (R) is the incumbent, and would likely win by a huge margin.

          However, in the state legislature there is a sizable Trump wing, lead by a guy named Rick Becker. They don't control a majority of the Republican caucus in the state legislature, but their group is large enough to create some noise.

          Becker ran against Hoeven at the nominating convention, and lost. He has now announced that he thinks he'll run in the November election, assuming he can gather a 1000 signatures by early September (which probably won't be a problem.) That opens the election up to a possible upset by the Democratic candidate (who I know nothing about).

          Edit: It looks like the (D) candidate is Katrina Christiansen, an assistant professor of engineering at a small college in North Dakota. Looks like she's a relatively recent arrival to the state, from Nebraska, so it'll be interesting to see how she does.
          Last edited by SJHovey; 08-15-2022, 12:42 PM.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

          Comment


          • Did hoven take Heitcamps seat?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Did hoven take Heitcamps seat?
              No, Hoeven was elected in 2010 when Dorgan retired. I think Heitkamp was beaten by Kevin Cramer.
              Last edited by SJHovey; 08-15-2022, 02:02 PM.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                No, Hoeven was elect in 2010 when Dorgan retired. I think Heitkamp was beaten by Kevin Cramer.
                Correct.
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

                North Dakota Hockey:

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Possibly an interesting development in the North Dakota U.S. Senate seat up this November.

                  John Hoeven (R) is the incumbent, and would likely win by a huge margin.

                  However, in the state legislature there is a sizable Trump wing, lead by a guy named Rick Becker. They don't control a majority of the Republican caucus in the state legislature, but their group is large enough to create some noise.

                  Becker ran against Hoeven at the nominating convention, and lost. He has now announced that he thinks he'll run in the November election, assuming he can gather a 1000 signatures by early September (which probably won't be a problem.) That opens the election up to a possible upset by the Democratic candidate (who I know nothing about).

                  Edit: It looks like the (D) candidate is Katrina Christiansen, an assistant professor of engineering at a small college in North Dakota. Looks like she's a relatively recent arrival to the state, from Nebraska, so it'll be interesting to see how she does.
                  Even if they split perfectly, can a Dem get 34% in NoDak now that the Reich has awakened?
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                    Even if they split perfectly, can a Dem get 34% in NoDak now that the Reich has awakened?
                    I was wondering the same thing. Looks like only 32% (rounding up) went for Biden in 2020. Heitkamp received 44% in her losing battle against Kramer in 2018, but she was a sitting Senator, so incumbency, plus she was from North Dakota. As Hovey’s implying, being an outsider may cost Christiansen a few percentage points or more at the ballot box.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                      Even if they split perfectly, can a Dem get 34% in NoDak now that the Reich has awakened?
                      Heitkamp got 44%, so I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility that Hoeven could get beat. That said, I think the bat**** crazy wing of the Republican caucus in which Becker resides is smaller than some people think. Becker has been beaten up pretty badly in the state by media and others over some of his antics.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                        Heitkamp got 44%
                        But she was an incumbent who dated from before the GOP flushed their last living brain cell down the toilet.

                        And I get the impression that the huge influx of folks into ND is dominated by the truck nuts types.

                        Off topic: I just learned about these.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Kepler View Post

                          But she was an incumbent who dated from before the GOP flushed their last living brain cell down the toilet.

                          And I get the impression that the huge influx of folks into ND is dominated by the truck nuts types.

                          Off topic: I just learned about these.
                          Heitkamp maybe outperformed because she was the incumbent, and because she was from the state.

                          If Becker gets in the race, and if I were forced to handicap the race, I think Hoeven wins, but not by a big margin over Christiansen. I say that because I just don't think Becker is going to draw quite enough to overcome the margin. But it's going to be a lot closer race than it should be, and if things break the right way for Christiansen, I could see an upset.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

                            Heitkamp maybe outperformed because she was the incumbent, and because she was from the state.

                            If Becker gets in the race, and if I were forced to handicap the race, I think Hoeven wins, but not by a big margin over Christiansen. I say that because I just don't think Becker is going to draw quite enough to overcome the margin. But it's going to be a lot closer race than it should be, and if things break the right way for Christiansen, I could see an upset.
                            I think having to run as an independent will knock his numbers way down. Hoeven seems free of scandal, even though it appears to have been a close primary battle between the two.

                            Comment


                            • Just found out we’ll have to wait two weeks until we get the actual results for the House election that’s today. So it’s a guarantee that Palin will spend the next two weeks trying to destroy the whole thing (because she’s likely going to finish third).

                              Edit: To clarify the only results we’ll get tonight is the initial vote, they won’t do the ranked choice results (and therefore find out who actually wins) until all the absentee ballots are in two weeks later.
                              Last edited by Jimjamesak; 08-16-2022, 10:58 AM.
                              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                              I spell Failure with UAF

                              Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

                              Comment


                              • It’s a nice gesture

                                https://twitter.com/shaqbrewster/sta...vaXmEMRvilkR7w

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X