Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2022 MidTerms & State races- who ya got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    Possibly an interesting development in the North Dakota U.S. Senate seat up this November.

John Hoeven (R) is the incumbent, and would likely win by a huge margin.

However, in the state legislature there is a sizable Trump wing, lead by a guy named Rick Becker. They don't control a majority of the Republican caucus in the state legislature, but their group is large enough to create some noise.

Becker ran against Hoeven at the nominating convention, and lost. He has now announced that he thinks he'll run in the November election, assuming he can gather a 1000 signatures by early September (which probably won't be a problem.) That opens the election up to a possible upset by the Democratic candidate (who I know nothing about).

Edit: It looks like the (D) candidate is Katrina Christiansen, an assistant professor of engineering at a small college in North Dakota. Looks like she's a relatively recent arrival to the state, from Nebraska, so it'll be interesting to see how she does.
    Even if they split perfectly, can a Dem get 34% in NoDak now that the Reich has awakened?

Leave a comment:

• The Sicatoka
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

No, Hoeven was elect in 2010 when Dorgan retired. I think Heitkamp was beaten by Kevin Cramer.
    Correct.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Did hoven take Heitcamps seat?
    No, Hoeven was elected in 2010 when Dorgan retired. I think Heitkamp was beaten by Kevin Cramer.
    Last edited by SJHovey; 08-15-2022, 02:02 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Did hoven take Heitcamps seat?

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Possibly an interesting development in the North Dakota U.S. Senate seat up this November.

John Hoeven (R) is the incumbent, and would likely win by a huge margin.

However, in the state legislature there is a sizable Trump wing, lead by a guy named Rick Becker. They don't control a majority of the Republican caucus in the state legislature, but their group is large enough to create some noise.

Becker ran against Hoeven at the nominating convention, and lost. He has now announced that he thinks he'll run in the November election, assuming he can gather a 1000 signatures by early September (which probably won't be a problem.) That opens the election up to a possible upset by the Democratic candidate (who I know nothing about).

Edit: It looks like the (D) candidate is Katrina Christiansen, an assistant professor of engineering at a small college in North Dakota. Looks like she's a relatively recent arrival to the state, from Nebraska, so it'll be interesting to see how she does.
    Last edited by SJHovey; 08-15-2022, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rufus
    replied
    Compromise is weakness.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    It is a zero sum game for the GOP because, ironically, they made deals with the devil. When you have ideas the majority hate you are beholden to the hardcores. When you are on a holy mission (like Evangelicals are) there is no negotiation. Half the GOP bleating on about this could honestly care less about abortion that is why they are all so badly informed and their arguments make no sense.

When Dodds came down my girlfriend and I got in a fight over the fact that a lot of women support the banning of abortion. She said that it came from the fact that a lot of women have no idea what goes into an abortion ban or even what the majority of abortions deal with. I said a lot dont care cause of the God nonsense and because there is a subset that still exists that think Phyllis Shlafley is a hero. As we learn more and more about the GOPs falling numbers what you are seeing is that my girlfriend was right. A lot of the people who were ok with Dodds had no idea what an abortion ban truly is. Like when Trump was going to end Obamacare and a bunch of old Faux viewers (redundant much?) realized that their "ACA Coverage" was Obamacare and flipped the switch. As they realize how much it impacts everyone, they are souring faster and faster. And the GOP can't mitigate it at all, because in most states if you even support "for the health of the mother" you risk losing the support of the Party and the donors.

Basically we have such an uninformed populace at this point we are lucky we are as advanced as we are.
    Last edited by Handyman; 08-13-2022, 10:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I find irony in that reasonable people (so not republicans) are willing to compromise on gun laws but when it comes to abortion laws, conservatives are all or nothing.
    Democrats compromise. Even AOC. Republicans do not. On anything.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    I find irony in that reasonable people (so not republicans) are willing to compromise on gun laws but when it comes to abortion laws, conservatives are all or nothing.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    1. Magazine capacity limits
    2. Muzzle energy limits
    3. Number of weapons owned limits

None of these limits interfere with hunting.

Pass them now.
    What's funny is our trap range already does this. And more. We also control what ammunition we can use.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

Most of the responsible gun owners I know vote straight R ticket knowing that responsible gun laws will never be passed. And they laugh about it.
    Quit calling those people responsible gun owners because they are not by definition responsible anythings since they vote straight R.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

This is where I beg to differ with you Scoob. I am said responsible gun owner and my politicians and the politicians of the states I have lived in who i do not claim as my own (like Ron Johnons or Rob Portman or a host of state representatives) all know where I stand on this issue. When I do political work for my employer we are often supporting politicians who advocate restricting firearms related things a whole lot more than they are now. The friends I have who also own firearms are equally as responsible as I am and also share many of my views on firearms, firearm safety and reasonable changes in the laws. We ALL advocate for safe, reasonable and responsible firearm ownership.

The problem here is not responsible gun owners, the problem is the fuckwits who are not. And as I have said a number of times, because the sum total of us cannot behave responsbibly if they banned them all tomorrow I would understand and agree. Don't lump people like me into some bucket where even it we don't do anything stupid with our guns we aren't trying to do things to make sure no one else does stupid things either.
    Most of the responsible gun owners I know vote straight R ticket knowing that responsible gun laws will never be passed. And they laugh about it.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

The facts are that responsible gun owners will not do what is necessary to pass laws like that, and we already know that irresponsible gun owners will not do it either.
    This is where I beg to differ with you Scoob. I am said responsible gun owner and my politicians and the politicians of the states I have lived in who i do not claim as my own (like Ron Johnons or Rob Portman or a host of state representatives) all know where I stand on this issue. When I do political work for my employer we are often supporting politicians who advocate restricting firearms related things a whole lot more than they are now. The friends I have who also own firearms are equally as responsible as I am and also share many of my views on firearms, firearm safety and reasonable changes in the laws. We ALL advocate for safe, reasonable and responsible firearm ownership.

The problem here is not responsible gun owners, the problem is the fuckwits who are not. And as I have said a number of times, because the sum total of us cannot behave responsbibly if they banned them all tomorrow I would understand and agree. Don't lump people like me into some bucket where even it we don't do anything stupid with our guns we aren't trying to do things to make sure no one else does stupid things either.

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

29% of gun owners own 5 or more firearms. So that 30% dictates everything?
    Is it your argument that almost a third of all gun owners is not a statistically significant factor? Lest we forget Trump almost won an election and his polling support wasn't all that much higher than that.

Let me ask you this...lets say 29% of people thought it was ok to just randomly kill people would you say that it wasn't something to worry about since they are a minority of the population?

To piggyback on unos point, when Tylenol had someone putting poison in their products they recalled all of the bottles and instituted higher safety standards on their own. Gun companies have done nothing of the kind...in fact they openly talk against it. (like Big Tobacco) We regulate the hell out of all sorts of things that can put people in danger but God forbid we even look sideways at regulating guns because...reasons? The only reason the "ban them all" crowd exists is because according to the NRA no regulation is allowed period. Well if the choice is between the Wild West and no guns at all I know where I would stand. I think we would all rather have a negotiated middle ground with sensible rules but that is only possible if both parties negotiate in good faith and you can pretend all you want but the people who argue on behalf of the gun owners have no interest in that.

A good friend of mine is a full on gun lover...has had them for years and would never give them up. He chooses to never join the NRA because they do more damage to gun ownership than whatever good they might do. The don't encourage good gun ownership, they dont preach responsibility, hell they dont even listen to their membership who want pretty much what most Dems want. As long as they are the voice of the pro-gun crowd there is no negotiable resolution to this.

Leave a comment:

• WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    As a responsible gun owner who has never and will never use my firearm (I own one and have never owned more than 2) in an illegal manner and am as safe and responsible as is possible, I'm still with Scooby on this one. And it goes to the lawn darts thing that Rufus posted too. We are not a responsible enough society to allow or tolerate private ownership of firearms. Period.

Of course I know that we will never ban firearms and/or confiscate anything deemed illegal. I also admit I am somewhat hypocritical about this because I have no intention of giving up my legal firearm as long as it is legal for me to possess it.

I frankly also don't think the most extreme views on gun bans that Scooby and others have actually matter in this debate. We don't fail to enact and enforce reasonable gun laws because a tiny handful of people would glady ban all firearms. We fail to enact reasonable gun laws because we are an irresponsible society of people who often vote like morons in a lot of places. If more people in Texas or Idaho or other states that prevent what the vast majority of people see as reasonable legislation on firearms voted intelligently, maybe we could do something about all the firearm violence and even fewer people would think an outright ban is warranted.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X