• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Yikes.

Comment

I think this means another right wing nut job judicial theory becomes law.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
        Oral argument about to start in the independent legislature theory case. You can listen here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/oral_arguments/live.aspx

Gotta assume Roberts sides with the liberals on something this wacky, so the question will be whether one or more of the other 5 GOPers is similarly skeptical.
        I think we can already say with certainty that Alito, Thomas, and Barrett will grab the knife, stick it into the Constitution, and start twisting. I hope to God it's 6-3 to keep our democracy, but who knows? These people are shameless.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• So, this is funny.

And although it is the Republican-controlled legislature asking the Supreme Court to recognize a theory of near-complete power for state legislatures over federal elections, Princeton University professor Sam Wang suggests that a ruling for the legislature in this case would likely benefit Democrats more. Blue and swing states, Wang explains, have been more likely to check partisan gerrymandering through a governor’s veto, the state courts, or independent redistricting commissions. A decision in favor of the legislature, Wang says, would allow those blue and swing states to draw new maps that are more favorable to Democrats. The 19 states where Republicans already control redistricting have less to gain from the Supreme Court’s ruling, Wang concludes, because those states have already drawn maps to benefit Republicans.
          tldr: the Derp States are already cheating. If the Court finds for Moore, the civilized states can start cheating and the orcs can't stop them.

Careful what you wish for.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Doesn't that assume those Blue/Swing states would have the Dems in control of both houses in the Leg?
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://www.vo*****/policy-and-polit...north-carolina

Millhiser from Vox thinks ACB will join Roberts and the liberals to block this theory. Let’s hope he’s right. I don’t think the take Kep posted is a good counterpoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                https://www.vo*****/policy-and-polit...north-carolina

Millhiser from Vox thinks ACB will join Roberts and the liberals to block this theory. Let’s hope he’s right. I don’t think the take Kep posted is a good counterpoint.
                Apparently, G & K are in the tank on the nutbar theory, so everything I am reading says it's up to Barrett.

Jesus. Think about that. The fate of democracy hangs on someone not up to presiding over The People's Court.
                Cornell University

Comment

• Maybe we can convince her cult master...errrr...spiritual leader it's what Jesus would want!
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Apparently, G & K are in the tank on the nutbar theory, so everything I am reading says it's up to Barrett.

Jesus. Think about that. The fate of democracy hangs on someone not up to presiding over The People's Court.
                    Thanks, Obama.

Comment

• Who the **** added this?

https://twitter.com/janemayernyer/st...CIS5WsZSVVoHAw

Comment

https://rollcall.com/2022/12/07/judi...e-policy-bill/
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• That makes a lot more sense

i had read first piece as like not disclosing on taxes. Like we know at least one sc has been lying about spousal income

Comment

That makes a lot more sense

i had read first piece as like not disclosing on taxes. Like we know at least one sc has been lying about spousal income
                            I kind of go back and forth on legislation like this. It's obviously a terrible tragedy when a member of the judiciary, or their family, is attacked or injured due the judge's performance of his or her duties. But when you think of the sheer number of interactions between judges and members of the public on a daily basis in this country, much of it contentious, it's still a really rare occurrence.

I'm sure I'd feel different if I were a judge. But when you pass legislation like this, you certainly open up the possibility that information about the judge, the judge's family or business dealings of the judge are much more difficult to make public, when they maybe should be made public due to possible corruption, etc...
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Looks like the Supreme Court is taking up the other student loan case as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/polit...nge/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
                                Looks like the Supreme Court is taking up the other student loan case as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/12/polit...nge/index.html
                                This is more vile than any of the state challenges. Truly gross stuff here.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X