SCOTUS, Now with KBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I don't think you have any sort of expectation of privacy when you go to a public location like a restaurant or a store, and I don't think the ruling in Dobbs, however it turned out, would have changed that.

That said, Kavanaugh's issue in the restaurant can be handled in other ways. First, the restaurant owner can simply ask the protesters to leave, when they don't, call the police and have them trespassed. That was probably the correct way to handle it. If they don't do that, then if I'm Kavanaugh, I simply find someplace else to eat where the proprietor has more control over his facility.

There is also probably some sort of harassment/restraining order process in Maryland that Kavanaugh can use to prevent individuals from harassing him under some threat of jail, but I don't see a SCOTUS justice doing that.

I agree with slapshot that I am generally opposed to the public harassment of people, any person. If I saw someone in a restaurant with whom I strongly disagreed politically, it would never dawn on me to go up to them and berate them publicly, but that's just how I was raised. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of the people on this board would be the same way, probably because that's the way they were raised too.
    Considering every report I see says Brett never had any contact with the protestors, my guess is they stayed outside on a public street so tresspassing would be a waste of time. Brett was even brought in through the back entrance specifically to avoid them.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing. They broke no laws and his dinner wasn't even interrupted. Ted Cruz and the Nazi Lady who put all the kids in camps had more to contend with when Trump was in office. People all up in arms seem to forget in Washington people get protested all the time all over the place. A Supreme Court Justice is not immune just because a bunch of conservatives pretend he is. For a group that whines about the First Amendment they sure seem to forget it does more than just protect free speech.

Then again they publicly state that 1/6 was a tourist event and the candlelight vigil in from of Josh Hawley's house was some BLM-Antifa fire bomb festival so **** those snowflakes anyways.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

If this is the case I'm not uncomfortable about what happened in this specific instance at all.
      It is...otherwise Morton's would have called the cops instead of tweeting about it. The owner is a full on Trump Lover like he would even hesitate.

All of the media has lost the script on this, acting like this was some massive riot and poor Brett was harmed in some way. He was eating in a public place and didn't even have to deal with the so called thugs. Every station is acting like this is a way bigger deal than it is to make their (conservative) corporate masters happy.

Then again, I am still waiting for all of the stories on how gas prices have levelled off and are dropping...considering how much that was talked about over every other topic we surely are getting lots of those right?
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://boingboing.net/2022/07/10/pe...band-made.html

Pete Buttigieg with a great reply to Fox's attempted gotcha question. I completely agree with him. It would be lovely if we lived in a world where people could be rational and civil, but we don't live in that world and there is a large and loud and violent minority that is hellbent on turning us into their misguided vision of a white, christian theocracy.

In short, **** Kavanaugh.
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Did they make him cry?

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
            https://boingboing.net/2022/07/10/pe...band-made.html

Pete Buttigieg with a great reply to Fox's attempted gotcha question. I completely agree with him. It would be lovely if we lived in a world where people could be rational and civil, but we don't live in that world and there is a large and loud and violent minority that is hellbent on turning us into their misguided vision of a white, christian theocracy.

In short, **** Kavanaugh.
            I sure hope that Fox interviewer was a c-section.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
              Did they make him cry?
              No, no - they did NOT take his beer away.
              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Funny these whiny snowflakes have no issue with the years of protesting (with actual physical contact) that women had to deal with outside Planned Parenthood. I guess only ****wit (alleged) rapists get to have any sort of peace and quiet.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Funny these whiny snowflakes have no issue with the years of protesting (with actual physical contact) that women had to deal with outside Planned Parenthood. I guess only ****wit (alleged) rapists get to have any sort of peace and quiet.
                  The same reason that lots of Covidiots changed their tune, after catching Covid themselves.

"but it doesn't effect me"
                  I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Considering every report I see says Brett never had any contact with the protestors, my guess is they stayed outside on a public street so tresspassing would be a waste of time. Brett was even brought in through the back entrance specifically to avoid them.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing. They broke no laws and his dinner wasn't even interrupted. Ted Cruz and the Nazi Lady who put all the kids in camps had more to contend with when Trump was in office. People all up in arms seem to forget in Washington people get protested all the time all over the place. A Supreme Court Justice is not immune just because a bunch of conservatives pretend he is. For a group that whines about the First Amendment they sure seem to forget it does more than just protect free speech.

Then again they publicly state that 1/6 was a tourist event and the candlelight vigil in from of Josh Hawley's house was some BLM-Antifa fire bomb festival so **** those snowflakes anyways.
                    If the protesters were just out on the street, then Kavanaugh has nothing to complain about (for the record, I have no idea whether he has even complained about this.)
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post

Does your world have a First Amendment that no longer exists or something?
                      I have no idea what this post even refers to.

I am not in favor of the government coming in and limiting free speech in any way. I was simply commenting that I think people who go into a restaurant and harass someone who is eating because of some political or other issue, are acting in an inappropriate way, I don't support them doing it
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I have no idea what this post even refers to.

I am not in favor of the government coming in and limiting free speech in any way. I was simply commenting that I think people who go into a restaurant and harass someone who is eating because of some political or other issue, are acting in an inappropriate way, I don't support them doing it
                        Public harassment? Calling the police? Stop whining. They didn’t even commit a crime. They exercised their First Amendment rights, and you suggest it’s in poor taste, while suggesting that Kavanaugh should have prosecuted them?

Comment

Public harassment? Calling the police? Stop whining. They didn’t even commit a crime. They exercised their First Amendment rights, and you suggest it’s in poor taste, while suggesting that Kavanaugh should have prosecuted them?
                          I said no such thing, and the fact that you seem to think I did says a lot more about you than it does about me.

Comment

I don't think you have any sort of expectation of privacy when you go to a public location like a restaurant or a store, and I don't think the ruling in Dobbs, however it turned out, would have changed that.

That said, Kavanaugh's issue in the restaurant can be handled in other ways. First, the restaurant owner can simply ask the protesters to leave, when they don't, call the police and have them trespassed. That was probably the correct way to handle it. If they don't do that, then if I'm Kavanaugh, I simply find someplace else to eat where the proprietor has more control over his facility.

There is also probably some sort of harassment/restraining order process in Maryland that Kavanaugh can use to prevent individuals from harassing him under some threat of jail, but I don't see a SCOTUS justice doing that.

I agree with slapshot that I am generally opposed to the public harassment of people, any person. If I saw someone in a restaurant with whom I strongly disagreed politically, it would never dawn on me to go up to them and berate them publicly, but that's just how I was raised. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of the people on this board would be the same way, probably because that's the way they were raised too.
                            Are you learning impaired?

Comment

Are you learning impaired?
                              Is there any point in that post where I talk about kavanaugh “prosecuting” anyone? He’s a ****ing judge.

I said that if he chose he could bring a request for a harassment restraining order (which you apparently think is some sort of prosecution.) Further, where do I suggest he should? I stated that it was an option available.

Comment

Is there any point in that post where I talk about kavanaugh “prosecuting” anyone? He’s a ****ing judge.

I said that if he chose he could bring a request for a harassment restraining order (which you apparently think is some sort of prosecution.) Further, where do I suggest he should? I stated that it was an option available.
                                Except it isn’t an option available. You are suggesting that Kavanaugh take legal action against these people. You know, like one of the definitions of the word prosecute. You know your argument sucks when that’s the best you’ve got. Bless your heart, you’re not on your game today.

Comment

Working...
                                X