This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post

Putting yourself in the public prolly puts yourself in play.
    if you don’t want to serve the public as such, stay in a private firm.

mookie’s take (for mookie, slap can certainly differ and that’s cool).
    I'm not arguing it should be illegal and again I 100% understand why people want to do it. It's just not for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      mookie’s take (for mookie, slap can certainly differ and that’s cool).
      I heard that in BC, Canada, the fine for slapping a politician with a fish is only $12. Sounds quite civilized to me
      https://twitter.com/diaperboi92/stat...89193096171521
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

I'm torn. On one hand I think harassing people when they're just trying to eat (or sleep, or grocery shop) is generally wrong. On the other hand, the Court had no problem striking down most restrictions on abortion-related protests, so it seems hypocritical of them to care now that the protests are happening to them. Especially when they are public figures while women and abortion doctors are not.

I guess I view this as the chickens coming home to roost more than anything, so I'm far less sympathetic to them.

Edit: put another way, if they want to act like a political branch then they should expect to be treated as such. If they want to remain the relatively anonymous people in black robes, then they need to act like judges rather than politicians.
        I agree. Nailed it. I couldn't add anything.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
          I guess I view this as the chickens coming home to roost more than anything, so I'm far less sympathetic to them.
          No sympathy at all from me. They're the ones who've ruled on the record that there's no such thing as a right to *privacy*. If they wanted to eat dinner in peace, they, of all people, could have ensured that it could happen. I would feel the same lack of sympathy for a school shooter who got killed by his own ricocheting bullet. The power to avoid that fate was in your hand, numbnuts.
          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Mayor Pete went into fox and explained why no one should feel bad for Brett. He did an excellent job

Comment

• The cruelty is the point, right? Talking to you states rights *****s

https://twitter.com/katamacfarlane/s...2XAozy-D_2j34w

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                The cruelty is the point, right? Talking to you states rights *****s

I really don't get it anymore. The United States has lost it's mind and it's not coming back.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I really don't get it anymore. The United States has lost it's mind and it's not coming back.
                  This week, a cashier at a Walgreens in Hayward refused to sell condoms to a married woman

Comment

The cruelty is the point, right? Talking to you states rights *****s

I tried to squint for the light at the end of the tunnel but it's getting smaller and smaller. Every time I think nothing can surprise me anymore the GQP asks me to hold their beer. Of course Brett would prefer that role.

Comment

This week, a cashier at a Walgreens in Hayward refused to sell condoms to a married woman
                      https://www.apg-wi.com/sawyer_county...46770646f.html

Yep. This country is psychotic.

Comment

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
                        No sympathy at all from me. They're the ones who've ruled on the record that there's no such thing as a right to *privacy*. If they wanted to eat dinner in peace, they, of all people, could have ensured that it could happen. I would feel the same lack of sympathy for a school shooter who got killed by his own ricocheting bullet. The power to avoid that fate was in your hand, numbnuts.
                        I don't think you have any sort of expectation of privacy when you go to a public location like a restaurant or a store, and I don't think the ruling in Dobbs, however it turned out, would have changed that.

That said, Kavanaugh's issue in the restaurant can be handled in other ways. First, the restaurant owner can simply ask the protesters to leave, when they don't, call the police and have them trespassed. That was probably the correct way to handle it. If they don't do that, then if I'm Kavanaugh, I simply find someplace else to eat where the proprietor has more control over his facility.

There is also probably some sort of harassment/restraining order process in Maryland that Kavanaugh can use to prevent individuals from harassing him under some threat of jail, but I don't see a SCOTUS justice doing that.

I agree with slapshot that I am generally opposed to the public harassment of people, any person. If I saw someone in a restaurant with whom I strongly disagreed politically, it would never dawn on me to go up to them and berate them publicly, but that's just how I was raised. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of the people on this board would be the same way, probably because that's the way they were raised too.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Anyone who gives a **** about Kavanaugh being able to eat dinner at a restaurant in public is part of the problem. Period.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                            Anyone who gives a **** about Kavanaugh being able to eat dinner at a restaurant in public is part of the problem. Period.
                            See that's what you don't get. It literally has nothing to do with Kavanaugh. The question is whether you want to live in a society where any person can be publicly harassed while eating dinner with friends or family at a public restaurant. I prefer not, but that's just me.

There is literally no chance that I will find myself in a position where I am the victim of that type of public harassment. But I don't want to see that behavior for the restaurant owner and employees, for the other patrons in the restaurant, for the subject of the harassment, or society in general. I think it's boorish, unintelligent, unprofessional, bad mannered behavior.

But I'm old. You guys apparently want to live in that world, and you're likely going to be around a lot longer than I will be, so good luck.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

And some people balked at self checkouts...
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

See that's what you don't get. It literally has nothing to do with Kavanaugh. The question is whether you want to live in a society where any person can be publicly harassed while eating dinner with friends or family at a public restaurant. I prefer not, but that's just me.

There is literally no chance that I will find myself in a position where I am the victim of that type of public harassment. But I don't want to see that behavior for the restaurant owner and employees, for the other patrons in the restaurant, for the subject of the harassment, or society in general. I think it's boorish, unintelligent, unprofessional, bad mannered behavior.

But I'm old. You guys apparently want to live in that world, and you're likely going to be around a lot longer than I will be, so good luck.
                                Sorry. I do not give a **** about something that is NOT a Constitutional right after Constitutional rights have been ****ing trampled. Privacy rights are gone. Get used to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X