No announcement yet.

SCOTUS, Now with KBJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surely these *******s on the court will be fine with people with guns standing outside their homes.

Comment

• Basically at this point anything that gives anybody less rights than they have now is suspicious to me.
      Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 06-23-2022, 04:15 PM.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
        Surely these *******s on the court will be fine with people with guns standing outside their homes.
        Constitutional rights are not limited to citizens.

Every illegal alien in America now has the right to open carry.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• What's the bigger danger to public safety and the safety of law enforcement: a few folks (who are not taken seriously) demanding "defund the police" ...or SCOTUS?
          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Kagan quote from dissent, ""The majority here, as elsewhere, injures the right by denying the remedy""

A lot of people criticizing my analysis of how the Court vitiated Miranda warnings in today's opinion really need to read Kagan's dissent (all the way to the end) since she specifically refutes to conservative bull**** y'all are spewing. https://supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf
            https://***********/ElieNYC/status/1540120714753318912

**NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Kagan quote from dissent, ""The majority here, as elsewhere, injures the right by denying the remedy""

https://***********/ElieNYC/status/1540120714753318912
              Good for her. She's still wrong. The remedy provided in Miranda itself is exclusion of evidence.

One can think this was wrongly decided and side with the dissenters without exaggerating and claiming that Miranda is dead, because it's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Good for her. She's still wrong. The remedy provided in Miranda itself is exclusion of evidence.

One can think this was wrongly decided and side with the dissenters without exaggerating and claiming that Miranda is dead, because it's not.
                Further, the guy was acquitted in his criminal trial despite the admission of his confession. That's the definition of harmless error, since he won.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Further, the guy was acquitted in his criminal trial despite the admission of his confession. That's the definition of harmless error, since he won.
                  So here's the question I have. SCOTUS said today you can't sue the cop for civil damages. Can you sue the government?
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

So here's the question I have. SCOTUS said today you can't sue the cop for civil damages. Can you sue the government?
                    Generally not federally. Presumably all states (and by extension, any political subdivisions thereof) would assert sovereign immunity from a civil suit in federal court (mine absolutely would). To get around that you have to sue an individual under 1983, hence why you have to sue the cop, or the governor, or whatever if you're seeking civil damages from a state actor in federal court.

For state courts, it'd depend on state law and whether they've waived sovereign immunity for such claims.

Comment

• Which is why we should have civil recourse against the state or cop, even if through other means not specifically through Miranda.

if the state can't be sued, why not violate the rights every time? If you've got a shaky case you might as well. Worst case, you lose an already low % case.

The state should have a disincentive for abusing rights, especially in the cases where they're not on firm ground and have nothing to lose, which is where they're most likely to do it.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Public confidence in the Supreme Court is at an all time low. 25%. Just wait till the Abortion ruling comes down.

Comment

• 9 to go heading into today.

1st one is a medicare-related case. 5-4 (Thomas and Barrett joining the liberal wing) by Kagan. From what I can tell it deals with the interplay between medicaid and medicare for reimbursement purposes, but I'm not really sure and frankly, not going to try to parse it further.

There will be at least one more today.

Comment

• Oh ****.

2nd and last one today is Dobbs.

Reading now

Comment

• Roe overturned.

6-3 in judgment, 5-4 in overturning Roe (Roberts concurred in judgment only).

Comment

• And I'd to extend a big **** you to everyone who told me over the years this could never happen. After all, I was being hysterical.

**** you.

There are now 26 states where you cannot get a legal abortion. I expect that number to increase.

Comment

Working...
                                X