This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
    SCOTUS: These things should be up to the states, or better yet, local municipalities who are closer to the people.

Also SCOTUS: Not THOSE things!!!!
    In fact, local municipalities may not be able to accurately assess this, maybe we need to break it down further into families. But then, there are disagreements within families, so Hell, let's just make it individual rights.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Good lord, we have Vega v. Tekoh. The Supreme Court just gutted Miranda, ruling that a person who did NOT receive the warning has NO RIGHT to sue the government for the constitutional violation. 6-3. By the people you'd expect. Jesus Christ.
      https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1539977741499498496

Appears Miranda was overturned. Sounds good. Seems like I need to start praying for a couple of things for my family.

1. Please, never encounter a gun in public. Especially one that is fired.
      2. Never ever ever have to interact with the police for whatever reason. I'm not even black and I don't want anything to do with them.

And all I have to say on all this is, but her emails.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Alito pointed out that the now invalidated law didn’t stop buffalo.

great. Remove all driving laws then too- let’s let ten year olds drive.

**** this place

Comment

• Jfc

https://twitter.com/sethmoulton/stat...SRYB3D6WXwl_pQ

Comment

• It’s really them (Voting for Democrats) or the freaking abyss. And trust me you DO NOT want to live in Gilead. You think you’ll just get prayer back in school but what you really get is no women’s rights, no civil rights, no voting rights, no Miranda rights, no LGBTQ rights & no rights vs corporations.
            https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/statu...22414536499202
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Gonna be very weird if Supreme Court ends a constitutional right to obtain an abortion next week, saying it should be left to the States to decide, right after it just imposed a constitutional right to concealed carry of firearms, saying it cannot be left to the States to decide
              https://twitter.com/neal_katyal/stat...88629585543169

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                No, it wasn't. Miranda remains a staple of criminal law and a violation still precludes the gathered evidence from being used against you in a criminal trial just as it did yesterday. This was whether you could sue a cop civilly for violating it, simply for violating it and absent anything more.

I would've sided with the liberals, but this isn't the death knell of Miranda (even if Alito's disdain for Miranda showed through in spades).
                Last edited by unofan; 06-23-2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

No, it wasn't. Miranda remains a staple of criminal law and a violation still precludes the gathered evidence from being used against you. This was whether you could sue a cop civilly for violating it, simply for violating it and absent anything more.

I would've sided with the liberals, but this isn't the death knell of Miranda (even if Alito's disdain for Miranda showed through in spades).
                  Not being able to sue the cop means that they will skirt things even more. Accountability of law enforcement in this country is at all time lows and this lowers the bar considerably. Again, what it signals to me is to start praying that I never need the criminal justice system for anything before I die.

Comment

• This puts it better than I ever could.

Important safety tip folks. Remember when the cop is coercing a confession out of you, the cop is *wrong.* You can't do anything about it and if the face punches make you forget 1L constitutional law, you're screwed, but hey, it's nice to be in jail knowing the cop was wrong!
                    https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1540041951214505986

Comment

This puts it better than I ever could.
                      Never mind that it's wrong.

1) you already couldn't do anything about it directly because in virtually every state, it's illegal to resist cops, even when they're performing an otherwise illegal act. This doesn't change that.
                      2) A coerced confession can't be used against you in a resulting criminal trial. This doesn't change that.
                      3) Being beaten/punched has nothing to do with being read your Miranda rights. This doesn't change that.
                      4) You can sue cops for excessive force under 1983. This doesn't change that.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Never mind that it's wrong.

1) you already couldn't do anything about it directly because in virtually every state, it's illegal to resist cops, even when they're performing an otherwise illegal act. This doesn't change that.
                        2) A coerced confession can't be used against you in a resulting criminal trial. This doesn't change that.
                        3) Being beaten/punched has nothing to do with being read your Miranda rights. This doesn't change that.
                        4) You can sue cops for excessive force under 1983. This doesn't change that.
                        Yep. In a vacuum that's all true. Until it isn't. Good luck with your excessive force lawsuit by the way.

Comment

• Surely then public duels are back in play now. After all self-defense/stand your ground and what not.

pew pew pew!!

Comment

• All fetuses must be brought to term so that they can die in a thick hail of bullets, like god intended.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

https://twitter.com/ElieNYC/status/1539977741499498496

Appears Miranda was overturned. Sounds good. Seems like I need to start praying for a couple of things for my family.

1. Please, never encounter a gun in public. Especially one that is fired.
                              2. Never ever ever have to interact with the police for whatever reason. I'm not even black and I don't want anything to do with them.

And all I have to say on all this is, but her emails.

uno already debunked that. The press needs to stop overinflating it. Miranda has not been overturned.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

uno already debunked that. The press needs to stop overinflating it. Miranda has not been overturned.
                                Sure. Just your ability to hold the police accountable for violating it has been overturned. Potato, potato.

Comment

Working...
                                X