This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
    Someone armed with a handgun was arrested at Kavanaugh's house. Relax. The gun is fine.

It is regrettable, but it just goes to show how angry people are at Kavanaugh.
    Legitimate political discourse.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
      Someone armed with a handgun was arrested at Kavanaugh's house. Relax. The gun is fine.

It is regrettable, but it just goes to show how angry people are at Kavanaugh.
      Thoughts and prayers.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

No matter who does this kind of stuff it should be called out as unnecessary. People are angry everywhere.
        Absolutely.

That said, now is not the time to discuss security for Justices...
        #GOPLogic #WeHaveGunsToo
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

No matter who does this kind of stuff it should be called out as unnecessary. People are angry everywhere.
          Why? Are guns dangerous or something? I thought the presence of guns made you safer, so Kavanaugh was never in any danger.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

Thoughts and prayers.
            No, no, no, no, no. You're getting it wrong. Thoughts and prayers are only for those who actually GET shot. For now you are free to wish that someone shoves a rusty railroad spike so deep into his head it would probably add 25 IQ points.

Comment

• In a 6-to-3 vote, the Supreme Court ruled that border agents may unconstitutionally enter a person's home without a warrant and assault him and ... federal courts are powerless to do anything about it. The border, once again, is a Constitution-free zone.
              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                In a 6-to-3 vote, the Supreme Court ruled that border agents may unconstitutionally enter a person's home without a warrant and assault him and ... federal courts are powerless to do anything about it. The border, once again, is a Constitution-free zone.
                Tear the ****ing statue down.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

In a 6-to-3 vote, the Supreme Court ruled that border agents may unconstitutionally enter a person's home without a warrant and assault him and ... federal courts are powerless to do anything about it. The border, once again, is a Constitution-free zone.
                  Setting aside the merits of the decision and whether it was correctly decided, factually that case is one of the most fascinating to read that you'll find.

The "victim" owns a house that basically straddles the US-Canadian border in a small town in Washington. It's a "bed and breakfast" called The Smuggler's Inn.

Pictures from inside the house basically show a very spartan existence with a series of military style bunkbeds.

The guy charges people who wish to cross illegally into either Canada or the US for his "services." Basically, people can either walk into the front door or back door of his house and thus cross into the other country. He also offers vehicle transportation services. People have to pay for a nights lodging, whether they actually stay there or not.

But then here is where it gets crazy. He works as an informant for the Border Patrol. So, he collects his money from the people trying to cross, then he turns around and calls the Border Patrol and rats them out, and the Border Patrol pays him for it. I think the decision suggested the guy had been paid something like $60,000 from the Border Patrol.

My first thought when reading the decision was, "how is this guy still even alive?"

The incident in question involved a guy from Turkey who traveled from NYC to stay at this "bed and breakfast." The owner tips off the Border Patrol, who then shows up and checks out the travelers papers. They turn out to be ok, so the Border Patrol guy roughs up the B&B owner by throwing him to the ground or against a vehicle, then leaves. The guy from Turkey then crosses illegally into Canada, and the B&B owner sues the Border Patrol agent for assault.

What I'm most curious about is whether this was initially some sort of staged or planned thing between the B&B owner and the Border Patrol agent, something designed to provide some protection or cover to the B&B owner for his cooperation with the Border Patrol.

It's a crazy case from a facts standpoint.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

They still have that 100 mile from the border zone, so essentially the border patrol can bust down a door for 65% of the nation "legally."
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Setting aside the merits of the decision and whether it was correctly decided, factually that case is one of the most fascinating to read that you'll find.

The "victim" owns a house that basically straddles the US-Canadian border in a small town in Washington. It's a "bed and breakfast" called The Smuggler's Inn.

Pictures from inside the house basically show a very spartan existence with a series of military style bunkbeds.

The guy charges people who wish to cross illegally into either Canada or the US for his "services." Basically, people can either walk into the front door or back door of his house and thus cross into the other country. He also offers vehicle transportation services. People have to pay for a nights lodging, whether they actually stay there or not.

But then here is where it gets crazy. He works as an informant for the Border Patrol. So, he collects his money from the people trying to cross, then he turns around and calls the Border Patrol and rats them out, and the Border Patrol pays him for it. I think the decision suggested the guy had been paid something like $60,000 from the Border Patrol.

My first thought when reading the decision was, "how is this guy still even alive?"

The incident in question involved a guy from Turkey who traveled from NYC to stay at this "bed and breakfast." The owner tips off the Border Patrol, who then shows up and checks out the travelers papers. They turn out to be ok, so the Border Patrol guy roughs up the B&B owner by throwing him to the ground or against a vehicle, then leaves. The guy from Turkey then crosses illegally into Canada, and the B&B owner sues the Border Patrol agent for assault.

What I'm most curious about is whether this was initially some sort of staged or planned thing between the B&B owner and the Border Patrol agent, something designed to provide some protection or cover to the B&B owner for his cooperation with the Border Patrol.

It's a crazy case from a facts standpoint.
                      This sounds like that "bad cases make bad case law" warning we periodically hear.
                      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Yeah, I was all set to be OUTRAGED! about this one and then I read the case facts. For once I agree with Hovey that something doesn't add up here. That does not change that I still think it's bullsh*t that the 4th Amendment is basically null and void within 100 miles of the border (including all international coastlines) as long as the badges say they're conducting an immigration and customs investigation.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          Yeah, I was all set to be OUTRAGED! about this one and then I read the case facts. For once I agree with Hovey that something doesn't add up here.
                          Oh man, that sucks when that happens, doesn't it? Probably almost feels like you need a shower. :>)
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Oh man, that sucks when that happens, doesn't it? Probably almost feels like you need a shower. :>)
                            Bless your heart!
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• The case is irrelevant. The Supreme Court rulings are on the law. And in this case they decided the 4th Amendment does not apply to certain people. This is wrong. It is not with our ideals. And it will forever be a black stain on our history.
                              Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 06-09-2022, 01:06 PM.
                              **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                              Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                                Yeah, I was all set to be OUTRAGED! about this one and then I read the case facts. For once I agree with Hovey that something doesn't add up here. That does not change that I still think it's bullsh*t that the 4th Amendment is basically null and void within 100 miles of the border (including all international coastlines) as long as the badges say they're conducting an immigration and customs investigation.
                                The 4th Amendment has been null and void since 9/11. The police don't even need a warrant.

The most unbelievable scene in Seven is when the cops need to manufacture an excuse to break down John Doe's door.

Comment

Working...
                                X