This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
    But I'm still not discounting Roberts himself being the leaker.
    As CJ SCOTUS his name will be tied to it ... "the Roberts court's ruling ..."

I'd be more surprised if it was someone else.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      ... where are the leftists to storm SCOTUS and assault cops and smear their sh*t on the walls?
      They only come out after dark. See: Portland, Seattle.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

My shock isn't that they're overturning Roe (because they said they were gonna), it's how broad that draft is. Gorsuch and Roberts both voted that the civil rights act protects LGBTQ persons and seem unlikely to overrule Obergefell, so the fact that every major civil rights decision in the last 50 years including those are apparently up for grabs is disconcerting.
        At work, I don't go for Physical Management (restraining a resident) unless the situation calls for it.

I'm taking the same approach here. I'm not going to panic yet, but if Lawrence, etc are reversed, I'm ready to get ugly if the situation calls for it.
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

They only come out after dark. See: Portland, Seattle.
          Really? You choose now to ****post?
          I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

If SCOTUS overturns itself on Roe it means the Federal government never had the power to decide this issue. Then, the issue falls under A10, specifically,

"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

It becomes a State issue, and it's easier to move states than move countries if you don't like the laws.

Call your state representatives* and let them know it's coming if you are ... concerned (<-- that was for you rufus).

*Assuming you even know what state district you're in and who represents you.
            The Federal government certainly has the power to decide the issue. All Congress has to do is pass a law.

And go eff yourself.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• I find it curious and horrifying that Alito's rational seems to be a wholly invented test that unenumerated rights need a "deep basis in history" in order to be "rights".
              I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                I find it curious and horrifying that Alito's rational seems to be a wholly invented test that unenumerated rights need a "deep basis in history" in order to be "rights".

This is the dream of the Federalist Society, and of conservatives writ large.

If you are a historically oppressor group, you want things to go back to the way things were before. The conservative mind simply elevates "the way things were before" to its own self-evident virtue.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I find it curious and horrifying that Alito's rational seems to be a wholly invented test that unenumerated rights need a "deep basis in history" in order to be "rights".
                  Sets the stage for a clean sweep of court-granted rights since the 1870s that haven't been cemented with a Constitutional amendment. So like I said, Obergefell and Loving are next.

Comment

• Read arguments on both sides and it makes much more sense that this was leaked by conservatives. They have their talking points ready today (it's all about the leak). And, they have much more to gain by releasing it early. NOW, Justices on the conservative side will feel even more pressure. And, if they do "sand off the rough edges" of Alito's opinion they will be able again to run around saying the Democrats were playing chicken little.

This is a win win for their side.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Ya know what else isn’t in the constitution?

the number 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

By then, they won't be able to do anything. Their vote won't matter anymore. Only who the Repubs decide who won the election.
                        Voting is not fighting fire with fire. The House is not representative of the vote. The Senate is clearly not reprentative of the vote. Many state legislatures are not representative of the vote. Already twice in this century the presidency has not been representative of the vote. If anyone actually thinks voting is what I am talking about they are missing the boat.

Comment

If SCOTUS overturns itself on Roe it means the Federal government never had the power to decide this issue.
                          Somebody stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Congress would still have power to act under Article I.

Comment

• Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            I continue to waiver between 'I can't believe it' and 'I'm not that surprised'.
                            that's where I'm at. I can't square these two feelings but I'm feeling both.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

yep, and I think Kepler said it even earlier than me

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Deeply rooted in history is very thinly veiled threat to all post reconstruction rights. Every single one of them.
                              Code:
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Sets the stage for a clean sweep of court-granted rights since the 1870s that haven't been cemented with a Constitutional amendment. So like I said, Obergefell and Loving are next.
                                I still don't understand the philosophy behind "court-granted" rights

the whole point is to determine if it was a right to begin with. Correct? And when they decided that the 14th granted that right, that's it. It did.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X