Trump sues everyone over 2016 election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump sues everyone over 2016 election

Alleges grand conspiracy to destroy his life, his political career, and rig the 2016 election for Hillary Clinton.

I thought Republicans hated frivolous lawsuits?
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

The world will be better when he is dead.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

He does realize the Mueller report will actually hurt him here, right? He does understand its contents? (Of course he doesn't.)

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Wait, what?

I'm sitting around doing laundry this afternoon and somehow missed this... How does one sue over an election they won?
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
          He does realize the Mueller report will actually hurt him here, right? He does understand its contents? (Of course he doesn't.)
          Or the Republican-led Senate Intelligence Committee's report?

This suit will get tossed in a heartbeat. Kind of a shame, as discovery would be interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            Wait, what?

I'm sitting around doing laundry this afternoon and somehow missed this... How does one sue over an election they won?
            Cause he won despite the grand conspiracy against him.

Cause he's just that good.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Cause he won despite the grand conspiracy against him.

Cause he's just that good.
              Yea.... Seeing that now...

It's his usual deal where he racks up a bill and is trying to weasel out of it.... $24 Million he doesn't have obviously....
              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

This is a suit designed to get on the news and nothing more. It will likely be dismissed at the first opportunity, and he will then crow about something something deep state something something swamp.
                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
                  This is a suit designed to get on the news and nothing more. It will likely be dismissed at the first opportunity, and he will then crow about something something deep state something something swamp.
                  I would like to see the suit go forward. Particularly to the discovery phase.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post

I would like to see the suit go forward. Particularly to the discovery phase.
                    If somebody counter-sues that won't be dismissed along with the original suit, will it?
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

If somebody counter-sues that won't be dismissed along with the original suit, will it?
                      Not unless the counterclaimant wants to also dismiss their claims (unless, of course, there is a legal basis for the Court to also dismiss the counterclaim).
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

Not unless the counterclaimant wants to also dismiss their claims (unless, of course, there is a legal basis for the Court to also dismiss the counterclaim).
                        Can you sue somebody on the grounds that their suit is harassment, and if you do does your grounds disappear if they retract or are dismissed or can you proceed claiming they have already caused you damage?
                        Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Can you sue somebody on the grounds that their suit is harassment, and if you do does your grounds disappear if they retract or are dismissed or can you proceed claiming they have already caused you damage?
                          The harassment-type claim would be malicious prosecution or abuse of process; although, those types of claims often are not brought until after the original (harassing) suit is dismissed. But, at least in some states, you can file them as a counterclaim. In that case, the fact that they retract or have their suit dismissed probably helps your claim. Of course, your damages are probably limited if the claim is retracted or dismissed at an early stage.

Another potential is to not file a counterclaim, but seek attorney fees and costs for having to defend a frivolous/groundless suit. In Colorado, if you win on a 12(b) Motion (i.e. you fail to state a claim) you get your attorney fees and costs as a matter of statute. We also have a specific frivolous/groundless statute that permits recovery of attorney fees and costs outside of the 12(b) context. I'm not sure if other states have the 12(b) type statute, but most states have a Rule 11 / frivolous-groundless type statute that allows the recovery of those damages.

Many states also have a Rule 11 (a rule that requires the filing attorney to basically have done their due diligence and have a factual basis for the filing) safe haven. In that scenario, you send a letter to the opposing counsel saying you have no claim. They then get a certain amount of time to withdraw their claim without facing fees.
                          North Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post

The harassment-type claim would be malicious prosecution or abuse of process; although, those types of claims often are not brought until after the original (harassing) suit is dismissed. But, at least in some states, you can file them as a counterclaim. In that case, the fact that they retract or have their suit dismissed probably helps your claim. Of course, your damages are probably limited if the claim is retracted or dismissed at an early stage.

Another potential is to not file a counterclaim, but seek attorney fees and costs for having to defend a frivolous/groundless suit. In Colorado, if you win on a 12(b) Motion (i.e. you fail to state a claim) you get your attorney fees and costs as a matter of statute. We also have a specific frivolous/groundless statute that permits recovery of attorney fees and costs outside of the 12(b) context. I'm not sure if other states have the 12(b) type statute, but most states have a Rule 11 / frivolous-groundless type statute that allows the recovery of those damages.

Many states also have a Rule 11 (a rule that requires the filing attorney to basically have done their due diligence and have a factual basis for the filing) safe haven. In that scenario, you send a letter to the opposing counsel saying you have no claim. They then get a certain amount of time to withdraw their claim without facing fees.
                            Is this part of the whole "anti-SLAP suit" thing? Or is that something different?
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by Swansong View Post

Is this part of the whole "anti-SLAP suit" thing? Or is that something different?
                              Different. I havent dealt with Colorado's anti-SLAPP laws yet, but the claims/statutes/rules I was referencing have been in place for awhile. Anti-SLAPP, at least in Colorado is pretty new.
                              North Dakota

Comment

Working...
                              X