Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    Obvious:

Pitch clock! Whatever time they decided on, cut it in half.

Robot umps for strikes.

End Interleague.

Replace the Homerun Derby with a MLB-wide Old Timers Day.

GET RID OF THE MAN ON SECOND, FOREVER, FFS!!!

Do despite the whining:

Get rid of the DH in both leagues.

Eliminate all trips to the mound except for injuries. You don't need to talk to to the reliever.

Keep the 3 batter rule; expand it to 6.

Allow any shift, batters can adjust or die.

32 teams, 4 x 8 team divisions, no wild cards.

My radical changes:

100-game RS with no games before 4/15 or after 9/15.

7-inning games.
    With you the entire way until the last one. **** seven innings.

Re: the DH, I could go any way on this. I don't like it, but I see the arguments for no DH, al/nl split, and both DH.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• People still hate interleague play? I understand Tigers vs Diamondbacks is a snoozer, but it would be nice to see every team each year. NL fans should get a chance to see Ohtani at least every two seasons at home.
      Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• I liked inter league when you had Al/nl rules. I enjoy playing AL's moles in the NL.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
          People still hate interleague play? I understand Tigers vs Diamondbacks is a snoozer, but it would be nice to see every team each year. NL fans should get a chance to see Ohtani at least every two seasons at home.
          I'm cool with interleague. I think most are. The DH can go die in a fire.

Kepler just wants to wind baseball back to when LSD was the preferred enhancement.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Yeah fighting inter-league play is tilting at windmills. Just go back all of 5 years (AL-only DH, allow shifts, extra innings is just normal baseball) and maybe a pitch clock and you're good.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              Yeah fighting inter-league play is tilting at windmills. Just go back all of 5 years (AL-only DH, allow shifts, extra innings is just normal baseball) and maybe a pitch clock and you're good.
              I would be fine with that as well. A pitch clock is fine, though I would like it to be flexible in the postseason. One of the best things is the tension between big pitches. I have no problem with players taking their time during a big at bat. I know there is no good way to legislate that senario, but I still hope there is room for it to happen somehow.
              Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• - 154 is the fewest games I'd be comfortable with.

- I'm good with all iterations of using the DH.

- legislating the infield shift is stupid. But I'd be OK with not allowing 4 outfielders. Pick some depth that the infielders can't go past for positioning.

- pitch clock is fine. But, i hope they are willing to adjust if it's not working well.

- no more bs extra inning rules.

PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
                  Kepler just wants to wind baseball back to when LSD was the preferred enhancement.
                  No.

Absinthe.

Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Pujols overtakes Arod with 697 in Pittsburgh.

Looks like there’s 4K people at most at this game and 90% are Cardinals fans.

https://***********/mlb/status/15690..._ljHoLDP-P84Ew
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

No.

Absinthe.

Doesn't Absinthe make the heart grow fonder?
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Twins with combined no-hitter thru eight.
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Ahhh the continuing saga of the Nats and the DC government. if you can't read it because of the pay wall, let me know and I'll copy it.

The comments are about 95% against the owners.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...certs-license/
                          CCT '77 & '78
                          4 kids
                          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• The cities should just take the teams by eminent domain. No more owners. Give the players profit sharing, let cities compete for managing their teams the best, and have a hard standard deviation for payroll that moves around the net revenue mean, and divide the profit among the cities according the finish. No more advantage to bigger cities or richer owners.

And yeah, I know it hurts us the worst. But **** it, owners are the worst.
                            Cornell University
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• deGrom 13 strike outs through 5 innings.

But he has 4 walks.

For the season.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• I admit that I haven't watched a substantial amount of baseball games since 2019 (2020 I avoided because I was busy with work and because the league had stupid rules over Covid). But I tried in 2021 and this season and I'm one of those fans that were chased away by the 1-2 punch of a brutally slow pace of play and by the realized impacts of the "three true outcome" philosophy among hitters.

I get math. I'm a stats dude. I don't pine for some fictionalized "old way". But between the absurd wasted time between pitches and the "home run or bust" batter mentality the game has been brutal to watch for me.

That said, here are my short term rule changes to improve the game:
                                • Ruthlessly enforced pitch clock. I go to 3-5 minor league games per year (used to be the Lowell Spinners, now I see the Worcester Red Sox) and I can't begin to tell you how much better the pace is because of the timers. Get the ball, throw the ball. Don't step out of the box. Play the god damned game. Go beyond just awarding balls and strikes. If you get enough of them called against you, fines or suspensions. Whatever. Make this punitive. There is absolutely no reason that games should take 4+ hours so routinely.
                                • Balance the schedules more. Another real exciting thing (eyeroll) is to see the same four teams 19 times each. I'd even buck the trend here and look to expand interleague play.
                                • Expand the playoffs and make winning your division less important. Honestly, it seems that every year there's some mediocre team racking up lots of wins because they play in a crap division, and every year there's an outstanding 2nd place finisher to a 105 win team that would have won every other division in the league. Perhaps the NBA/NHL method of 8 playoff teams is a bit much? Whatever. Give me at least 6 and make the last 6-8 weeks of the season mean more to more teams and fans.
                                • 3 fielder limit to the outfield. I don't like eliminating the overshift. The shift has been employed for like a century, and as frustrating as it is to see someone smash their head into the wall and ground out over and over, eventually batters will compensate (or they'll get replaced by someone who will). I know "short fielders" have been employed likely as long as the general concept of the shift, however I do think it's one line that can be drawn. This sounds a bit crazy, but I think the use of the shift is likely a solution to the three true outcome hitting approach. Since you usually don't sock that dinger, make all the times where a batter doesn't... hurt more. Make them outs. I dunno. I go in circles on this.
                                • Robot umps for balls and strikes. Enough of this "my strikezone" crap. Enough of this "the catcher framed it perfectly and enticed the strike call". F that. Human eyes are incapable of calling these accuracy from the home plate umpire's perspective behind the catcher. This may have been the best way to get the most calls right in the past, but it sure as hell isn't in 2022+. We need to make Joe West and Angel Hernandez less important in the outcome.

I'm not sure what other changes I can get behind. I don't really like the 3-batter minimum for relievers but for god's sake something had to be done to quell the every-batter-new-pitcher thing. I very much don't like the EI rules either, but they do seem to speed the games up (extremely unscientific observation of a much-too-small sample size - if my impression is wrong, I believe you).

I love the DH, sorry whiny old timers, you can feel free to continue to be wrong on this. Look, I do believe I see some kids on your lawn!
                                Last edited by Swansong; 09-18-2022, 03:08 PM.
                                I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Working...
                                X