Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    I stopped trying to figure out what the people around me like years ago, but I fear it is the Vikings more than the Wild. I know I know, change the name.
    How bout in the 70s? Was it a Vikes town or a No Stars town? Or a Gophers town?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• How many cities are football cities despite the team being terrible?

Cleveland comes to mind as #1, though outside of the 90s for the Guardians and the LeBron years there isn’t much else to cheer for, so I guess football wins by default.

But then you have Detroit. The Tigers are immensely popular, good or bad, the Wings took over the city for two decades, and the Pistons had the Bad Boys and Goin’ to Work teams. Yet the Lions still dominate everything. It’s some weird paradox that likely afflicts Cleveland as well. If you’re bad for long enough you become more popular and eventually it’s just a collective suffering.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• I mean the NFL just dominates in terms of marketing their teams and leagues so it's an uphill battle for any other major league team in another league to get more attention. You have to have a very good team in another league and be continually good over several years to even have a chance. I think the 49ers still rank above the Warriors here, slightly, and the Warriors have had one of the best decade-long runs in history. Love them or hate them, the NFL knows how to market their entertainment aspects like no other league can.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• They even get ESPN to talk about some QB for months for most of the offseason.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

• Passan is reporting, so huge grain of salt, but Soto and Josh Bell to the Padres.
            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
            Patreon for exclusive writing content
            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
              Passan is reporting, so huge grain of salt, but Soto and Josh Bell to the Padres.
              Hosmer back to DC, but the Nats are on his no trade list. BTW, Soto, Bell, Hosmer & 2 other Padres are represented by Scott Boras.

Soto & Bell to SD
              Hosmer, Abrams, Hassell, Wood, Gore & Susana to DC

Assuming Hosmer waives.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Because he's been trash the last two months, is owed $15 Mil next year, is a free agent after 2023, and the Padres gave decent MLB-now talent as a return.

David Stearns (and Doug Melvin before him) and Mark Attanasio can't afford to do a "deep rebuild" because the fan base would (rightfully) turn on them when the rebuild struggles. So they go through these soft reboots every three years or so. Hader wasn't going to be a long term guy, and there are two or three people who can close (and have had to these last few months)

As a Brewers fan, I'm cool with it. It's going to be another in the long line of "squeezing the most from them, trading them when their value is highest, and watching them never be as good." See: Yovanni Gallardo, Jonathan Lucroy, JJ Hardy, Carlos Gomez, Jean Segura, Zach Grienke...
                This seems better than doing an Al Avila (Tigers) and resigning them after their miracle season, just to have them suck the next season and get a bag of rocks.
                Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Juan Soto to the Padres.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb...er/ar-AA10eAPW
                  A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                    AND Bell. Yikes.

I hope those other 5 guys are amazing* because Hosmer is way past it.

* By amazing I hope they suck because **** the Nats.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Hosmer is reportedly not waiving the no-trade clause. Nats and Padres are continuing to negotiate for a new deal, but for now…

https://***********/kfidds/status/15...mtlNlRac5O7HyQ

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                        Hosmer is reportedly not waiving the no-trade clause. Nats and Padres are continuing to negotiate for a new deal, but for now…

https://***********/kfidds/status/15...mtlNlRac5O7HyQ
                        Why wouldn't they ask him before hand. Dummies.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Twins have entered the shallow end of the trade pool. Picking up Mahle (P, CIN) and Lopez (RP, BAL).
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Yankees trade Gallo to Dodgers for a Double-A pitcher.

I think the Yankees won that trade...
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• I don’t think it’s an official three way trade, but Soto is going to San Diego who managed to move Hosmer to Boston.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• I feel like the Twins just spent 9 innings hitting the ball right at Akil Baddoo.
                                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Working...
                                X