Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Felt it was time for an updated thread.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Any chance we scramble and get the fantasy league running again?
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Apparently 2023 will have a ban on shifts?

Will they also have a rule that someone has to lick the batter's nutsack too while they're at it?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        Apparently 2023 will have a ban on shifts?

Will they also have a rule that someone has to lick the batter's nutsack too while they're at it?
        Go back to the 19th century rule where the batter calls for the pitch to be high or low.

"Casual fans need more hitting."

One thing that could actually end baseball for me:

For the first time, player uniforms will feature advertising, including patches on jerseys and decals on batting helmets.
        Slippery slope and if they go where I assume they are going then no mo' Mets for me.
        Last edited by Kepler; 03-12-2022, 03:03 AM.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          Slippery slope and if they go where I assume they are going then no mo' Mets for me.
          Just wait for the CitiBank logo on batting helmets. And the jokes of "what's lower, our mortgage rates or our team on base percentage?"

Hockey (NHL) already has helmet sponsors. NBA has jersey sponsors similar to thr AHL. AHL has both, and aren't annoying. I'm fine with MLB adopting the small patch. Just get rid of the goddammed universal DH.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I think some of you are quoted several times in this piece. You'll know who you are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...erican-league/

Also, don't miss this gem:
            "Nearly 100 years ago, ironically, it was the National League that had pushed for the DH. NL President John Arnold Heydler — a former sports reporter for the Washington Star — championed the cause in 1928, citing his frustration at watching “hopeless” pitchers trying to hit. But he had to abandon it in the face of AL opposition."
            PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
            Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
            NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

The DH was supposed to be gone in the 70s anyway. At the NL vote the Phillies owner was on a fishing trip, and their president was standing in, but he got apprehensive about a one year delay in implementing it versus immediately that season, so he voted no.

Unfortunate that it’s finally here, but it’s pure happenstance it’s taken 50 years.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Go back to the 19th century rule where the batter calls for the pitch to be high or low.
                This is good and I'm stealing it.

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  :
                  "Nearly 100 years ago, ironically, it was the National League that had pushed for the DH. NL President John Arnold Heydler — a former sports reporter for the Washington Star — championed the cause in 1928, citing his frustration at watching “hopeless” pitchers trying to hit. But he had to abandon it in the face of AL opposition."
                  Yeah and the political parties switched sides on civil rights. Doesn't make the anti- crowd correct.

KDR

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Yeah and the political parties switched sides on civil rights. Doesn't make the anti- crowd correct.
                    I wasn't making any statement about it. I just thought it was an interesting side note.
                    Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                    NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I think some of you are quoted several times in this piece. You'll know who you are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...erican-league/

Also, don't miss this gem:
                      TIL. Interesting.

May the pathetic idiocy of the DH DIAF.
                      Cornell University

Comment

Twins trade for an everyday SS (Simmons to Cubs i guess) and make themselves thin at catcher. I assume there will be some follow up moves. They need a lot! Especially starting pitching with Maeda in TJ recovery.

I guess if some of their younger talent emerges they will be OK. But, they don't look competitive.

C R. Jeffers
                        1B M. Sano
                        2B L. Arraez/Polanco
                        3B J. Donaldson
                        SS I. Kiner-Falefa
                        OF A. Kirilloff
                        OF B. Buxton
                        OF M. Kepler
                        Last edited by JF_Gophers; 03-13-2022, 12:57 PM.
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Twins trade for an everyday SS (Simmons to Cubs i guess) and make themselves thin at catcher. I assume there will be some follow up moves. They need a lot! Especially starting pitching with Maeda in TJ recovery.
                          Trying... Per ESPN.

The Minnesota Twins acquired right-hander Sonny Gray from the Cincinnati Reds on Sunday.

In exchange for Gray, the Reds received right-hander Chase Petty, the Twins' 2021 first-round pick.
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Donaldson, Kiner-Falefa, and Rortvedt to the Yankees for Sanchez and Urshela. There's a few of those follow up moves.
                            the state of hockey is good

Comment

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
                              Donaldson, Kiner-Falefa, and Rortvedt to the Yankees for Sanchez and Urshela. There's a few of those follow up moves.
                              That's interesting. Shipping Donaldson makes sense, and Urshala is essentially his direct positional replacement. But, now we need a SS again, to keep Polanco at 2B where he is best. Hopefully we use Donnie's salary to fill the other needs.

Sanchez replaces Garvers hitting (until last year when he was horrible), but isn't the greatest defensively. Takes the pressure off of Jeffers to be the everyday guy.
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

Working...
                              X