Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuba bounced backed with a 13-4 win over Panama to keep their hopes alive. They’re likely rooting for Taiwan to beat Italy this morning to help their chances.

As Kep said, the Czechs got the win and will face Japan tomorrow morning. Japan is up 8-4 on Korea right now with an unrelenting offense.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Japan finishes off Korea 13-4 and Taiwan gets a much needed 11-7 win over Italy/USA.

Taiwan Group
      NED 2-0
      TPE 1-1
      ITA 1-1
      CUB 1-2
      PAN 1-2

Tokyo Group
      JPN 2-0
      AUS 1-0
      CZE 1-0
      KOR 0-2
      CHN 0-2

China-Australia and Panama-Italy later tonight.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Japan is starting their top pitching prospect who throws 102mph.

Czechia’s starting pitcher tops out at 78 and didn’t have a winning record in the Czech Extraliga.

After 1, it’s 1-0 Czechia and Japan struck out twice.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• The man just struck out Shohei Ohtani

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• 3-1 Japan now. Dream might be over. But an electrician struck out the 1-2-3 hitters of the #1 ranked team and best player in the world.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• I'm sure this is a dumb question by why doesn't the US win the WBC every time with Dream Team-level embarrassing scores? We are still by far the biggest producers of talent in the world, right?
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I'm sure this is a dumb question by why doesn't the US win the WBC every time with Dream Team-level embarrassing scores? We are still by far the biggest producers of talent in the world, right?
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• I don't get the meme. :-(
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I'm sure this is a dumb question by why doesn't the US win the WBC every time with Dream Team-level embarrassing scores? We are still by far the biggest producers of talent in the world, right?
                    Because it's spring training and players would rather be on the golf course.

Comment

I don't get the meme. :-(
                      From KnowYourMeme: "The template became popularized on TikTok in February 2023 and is often used to illustrate how one party, represented by Cage, is angry over some sort of slight while the other person, represented by Pascal, is thrilled by their situation, implying the scenario is playing out like they wanted. The scene is usually scored by "Make Your Own Music" by Mama Cass."

The US is the biggest producer of talent (US born players make up 70% of the MLB), but a combination of the depth of that talent combined with the WBC nationality rules, means the better US born talent gets picked through and dispersed to other teams. Would Freeman be a better pick for Team USA at first than Goldschmidt or Alonzo? Maybe, maybe not.
                      1 United States 1,057 70.7%
                      2 Dominican Republic 171 11.4%
                      3 Venezuela 106 7.1%
                      4 Cuba 33 2.2%
                      5 Puerto Rico 28 1.9%
                      6 Mexico 24 1.6%
                      7 Canada 15 1%
                      8 Colombia 13 0.9%
                      9 Panama 9 0.6%
                      10 Japan 7 0.5%
                      11 South Korea 6 0.4%
                      12 Cura?ao[a] 5 0.3%
                      13 Australia
                      Germany
                      3 0.2%
                      Of the 70%, how many match the skill levels seen from non-US born players? 20%? So between the WBC nationality rules, spring training injuries, and the caps set on just how many players from each MLB team can be in the WBC, you're not going to see Team USA out here dominating.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• With Taiwan beating Netherlands there’s a chance for the entire group to tie at 2-2 if Cuba beats Taiwan and Italy beats Netherlands.

Then it would go to a tiebreaker of runs allowed/defensive outs, then earned runs/defensive outs, then highest batting average.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Not going to lie, but I thought the US born number was much lower than 70% - like under 50%. Guess I assumed that most teams were like the Tigers and had a bunch of their best players are not American born.
                          Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Because it's spring training and players would rather be on the golf course.
                            Right, sort of like basketball at the Olympics, I imagine it would come down more to who wants to play rather than who could play. At least with basketball there's a feeling you have to show up for one Olympics to get your one gold, but there doesn't seem to be any sort of urgency here.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• I've never really found the WBC interesting. Since its spring training, I guess I don't care if guys go, as long as they are getting reps to be ready for the season. Similarly, I never cared about Olympic baseball. Probably part of the reason it no longer exists.

I'm not too concerned about injury. I mean, JT took a fastball to the face in a spring game. It happens.
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Barring a big comeback by the Netherlands here in the 9th, the Taiwan group will come down to a five-way tiebreaker.

Despite having all but one data set they haven't run any what-if scenarios, but some quick math shows that it should be Cuba and Italy moving on if the current 7-1 score holds. Netherlands needs at least three runs here in the 9th to move on. Panama and Taiwan are eliminated unless this goes extras and there are some offensive explosions.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X