Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    14th straight win for Seattle.

​​​​​​I don't want to believe. Because I will get hurt again.
    I am curious as to how people who are not from a particular area come to root for pro teams from that area. Or am I incorrect in my assumption that you are Michigan born and raised? If you are a life-long Michigander, what's your story with Seattle??

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

In the earlier game of that DH the ump's report card for strikes called was 74%.

I don't think the broadcast strike zone is the problem.
      I think both can be true at the same time.
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• I hate that stupid box. The sooner it dies the better; it is part of the infantilization of sports coverage.

Watch an early 70s game broadcast sometime. It's wonderful.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          I hate that stupid box. The sooner it dies the better; it is part of the infantilization of sports coverage.

Watch an early 70s game broadcast sometime. It's wonderful.
          The lack of a score bug and ball/strike count is annoying as ****. Even old mid '90s broadcasts are terrible upon repeat viewing.

The stike zone overlay IS trash though.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Can we just go back to the old days where the grounds crew would intentionally mis-mark the chalk strike zone to get more calls in their favor?

*Glares at the late '90s Atlanta Braves*

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

The lack of a score bug and ball/strike count is annoying as ****. Even old mid '90s broadcasts are terrible upon repeat viewing.

The stike zone overlay IS trash though.
              It’s interesting how recent the permanent overlay actually is. During lockdown when only classic games were on tv you got to see a lot of different presentation styles. I believe it wasn’t until 1998 CBS had one for college basketball for the entire game. That’s the main one I can remember, but I’m sure most other stations were right around that time for other sports as well.

The tech was there for a long time obviously, because they would flash it on the screen and be able to embed the clock. In fact in CBS’ case I think it was the exact same graphic.

Nowadays there’s almost too much info on the screen, especially for football. The scorebug will have all the info, then there will be like three graphics superimposed on the field with the same down/distance, play clock, and especially NBC likes to shade the field between the line of scrimmage and first down.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

It’s interesting how recent the permanent overlay actually is. During lockdown when only classic games were on tv you got to see a lot of different presentation styles. I believe it wasn’t until 1998 CBS had one for college basketball for the entire game. That’s the main one I can remember, but I’m sure most other stations were right around that time for other sports as well.

The tech was there for a long time obviously, because they would flash it on the screen and be able to embed the clock. In fact in CBS’ case I think it was the exact same graphic.

Nowadays there’s almost too much info on the screen, especially for football. The scorebug will have all the info, then there will be like three graphics superimposed on the field with the same down/distance, play clock, and especially NBC likes to shade the field between the line of scrimmage and first down.
                The score bug was introduced as part of Sky’s broadcasting of the Premier League in 1992. ABC and ESPN introduced to the US as part their coverage for the 1994 World Cup (they needed the ad space). FOX started using it on NFL games when their rights started later that year.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

My understanding is that the networks were still in the old radio mentality that they wanted viewers to stay tuned long enough to see the run scored when they would update the graphic, or stay through the half inning when they showed it before/after commercials. They were worried that people would tune in, see the score, and change the channel if it wasn't favorable.

ESPN started using it on soccer broadcasts in 1994 and it gained mainstream success after FOX started using it for NFL games in 1995, and it exploded from there.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My understanding is that the networks were still in the old radio mentality that they wanted viewers to stay tuned long enough to see the run scored when they would update the graphic, or stay through the half inning when they showed it before/after commercials. They were worried that people would tune in, see the score, and change the channel if it wasn't favorable.

ESPN started using it on soccer broadcasts in 1994 and it gained mainstream success after FOX started using it for NFL games in 1995, and it exploded from there.
                    I’m like you, I can’t even imagine watching a broadcast without a score overlay any more. Especially for sports like soccer or football or hockey.

I do agree that there is too many graphics sometimes. Anytime I have to see a Bally Sports broadcast I really want to vomit.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

The lack of a score bug and ball/strike count is annoying as ****.
                      No. You just keep track. In your head. Like a sentient being.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Can we just go back to the old days where the grounds crew would intentionally mis-mark the chalk strike zone to get more calls in their favor?

*Glares at the late '90s Atlanta Braves*
                        How would that work...?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                          I’m like you, I can’t even imagine watching a broadcast without a score overlay any more. Especially for sports like soccer or football or hockey.

I do agree that there is too many graphics sometimes. Anytime I have to see a Bally Sports broadcast I really want to vomit.
                          Bally’s is terrible. Fox’s is pretty bad too. They had the perfect one for baseball in their last iteration. Now it’s massive, has weird graphics for the bases, and the score can be hard to read with the logo directly behind it. Their basketball one was good too, but now it’s a giant bar across the entire screen.

NBC had that weird one they rolled out for the final two months of their hockey broadcasts that was definitely a baseball scorebug, but they didn’t go with that for their RSNs or Peacock baseball broadcast.

Best ones today are probably Fox for soccer (except for CONMEBOL with the weird font), football for CBS, Fox, and NBC, and TBS for basketball/hockey.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

How would that work...?
                            Umps use the chalk as a frame of reference. If it catches any chalk it’s clearly a ball. So make the batters box a little farther from the plate and you’ll get a few more calls on the corner.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Umps use the chalk as a frame of reference. If it catches any chalk it’s clearly a ball. So make the batters box a little farther from the plate and you’ll get a few more calls on the corner.
                              But wouldn't that affect both teams equally? Unless the batters on one team were far more weighted as lefties, for example.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

But wouldn't that affect both teams equally? Unless the batters on one team were far more weighted as lefties, for example.
                                In theory, yes. When you have the 90s Braves rotation lead by Maddux, the king of expanding the strike zone, no.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X