Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With the wild card expanded to three teams, as of today every team over .500 would make the playoffs.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• The God damn Yankees sorta have something going....
      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
        The God damn Yankees sorta have something going....
        They are getting outstanding starting pitching. Cole was expected to be good, and Montgomery was expected to be a solid 2-3 starter. Severino's stuff has always been electric, but the only question was health. The expectation was that if he could stay healthy, he's good enough to be a staff #1.

Those three guys have basically met expectations, and have been real good. The thing is, they're the three worst starters on that team right now. Cortez and Taillon have been lights out.

It's kind of funny, because this year more of the question marks are in the bullpen.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Allow me to reiterate from earlier...

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
          Looking at the Yankees schedule, There is no reason why they shouldn't win 120 games. It is so pillowy soft. There seems to be only 2 challenging stretches, and most of the games in them are at home.

June 14-26: TB 3, @TOR 3, @TB 3, HOU 4
          August 15-23: TB 3, TOR 4, NYM 2

The rest of the time its feasting on bottom dwellers.
          But, to be honest, they are underperforming. Currently only on a 114 win pace.
          Last edited by JF_Gophers; 06-03-2022, 09:50 AM.
          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

I would remind you of a fellow poster's pessimism regarding another outstanding team across the East River.

It's a long season and the Miracle Braves, 1951 Giants, and 1978 Yankees are a reminder of counting your chickens too early.

Addendum: Phillies have fired Joe Girardi. Bench boss Rob Thomson takes over.
            Last edited by joecct; 06-03-2022, 10:05 AM.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Womens College World Series started yesterday.

I think this Oklahoma team may be in line for best team in history, provided they continue to steamroll through to the championship. I’ve caught a couple of their games since the tournament started and the offensive fire power is crazy. They’re 55-2, 39 of their wins have come by mercy rule, and their two losses are to Texas and Oklahoma State, both also in the WCWS. They mercied Northwestern 13-2 yesterday and in the NCAA tournament so far are outscoring teams 65-5. On the season they’re outscoring teams 515-48 and have an ERA of .80, which is .60 better than the next best team.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                Womens College World Series started yesterday.

I think this Oklahoma team may be in line for best team in history, provided they continue to steamroll through to the championship. I’ve caught a couple of their games since the tournament started and the offensive fire power is crazy. They’re 55-2, 39 of their wins have come by mercy rule, and their two losses are to Texas and Oklahoma State, both also in the WCWS. They mercied Northwestern 13-2 yesterday and in the NCAA tournament so far are outscoring teams 65-5. On the season they’re outscoring teams 515-48 and have an ERA of .80, which is .60 better than the next best team.
                Murderer's Row of college softball. And their best pitcher F Jordy Bahl came in and got the last out yesterday after being out for almost a month.
                A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                  Murderer's Row of college softball. And their best pitcher F Jordy Bahl came in and got the last out yesterday after being out for almost a month.
                  Their stats page hasn't been updated for a while but after 50 games 7 members of their regular lineup were hitting over .370.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                    I turned it on in the bottom of the third when Northwestern had a 1-0 lead. Appears that’s when OU figured out the change up from NU’s pitcher since proceeded to get seven straight runners on and went up 6-1 in a hurry.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• I'm surprised Max Kepler is one of the 4 unvaccinated Twins.
                      Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                      NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                        Allow me to reiterate from earlier...

But, to be honest, they are underperforming. Currently only on a 114 win pace.
                        I have no idea really how or why strength of schedule might be calculated for MLB, but here is at least one calculation that seems to disagree with you.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos
                        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

I have no idea really how or why strength of schedule might be calculated for MLB, but here is at least one calculation that seems to disagree with you.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/rpi/_/sort/sos
                          edit: oh I figured it out. Their explanation is for RPI not SOS. Duh.
                          Last edited by JF_Gophers; 06-03-2022, 02:39 PM.
                          Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

They are getting outstanding starting pitching. Cole was expected to be good, and Montgomery was expected to be a solid 2-3 starter. Severino's stuff has always been electric, but the only question was health. The expectation was that if he could stay healthy, he's good enough to be a staff #1.

Those three guys have basically met expectations, and have been real good. The thing is, they're the three worst starters on that team right now. Cortez and Taillon have been lights out.

It's kind of funny, because this year more of the question marks are in the bullpen.
                            And more of the injuries.
                            Russell Jaslow
                            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Looking at some of the NCAA baseball scores and wondering again why only softball has a mercy rule, especially with the new emphasis on saving pitching arms. Maryland is up 19-0 after 4 innings on Long Island and they still have five more innings to play no matter what. Meanwhile in softball, where those girls can and do pitch back to back complete games, they stop if it's eight runs after five innings.

Now I'm curious if there's anything against a team forfeiting in the situation Long Island is in to save pitching for the next game. Optics would be horrible, but you'd get a couple hours more rest for tomorrow versus staying and potentially getting blown out like 30-0. On the other hand, they are a 4 seed, so they probably aren't making the tournament often and they're more in "enjoy the experience" territory.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                I'm surprised Max Kepler is one of the 4 unvaccinated Twins.
                                Fuuuuuuuuck him
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X