Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Looking at the Yankees schedule, There is no reason why they shouldn't win 120 games. It is so pillowy soft. There seems to be only 2 challenging stretches, and most of the games in them are at home.

    June 14-26: TB 3, @TOR 3, @TB 3, HOU 4
    August 15-23: TB 3, TOR 4, NYM 2

    The rest of the time its feasting on bottom dwellers.
    They'll hit a skein, though. They'll have poorly timed injuries or just have a weird global slump. They happen. There's a reason teams almost always lie with the {63 ... 99} win interval.

    You know some last place team will sweep them sometime just because. That's the beauty of 162 games.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

    Comment


    • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

      How often do foul bunts on a strike two occur?
      Ok, so kepler's poking fun, but here's the answer: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kyle-sch...e-bases-empty/
      sort of

      In the 2018 season by mid-july, there were 155 2-strike bunts attempted. Which is way higher than I would have guessed. of those, 131 were by pitchers.

      The article doesn't give ratios, but here's a potential estimate of a more specific scenario:
      And I was able to pull up numbers going back to 2008, covering the entire pitch-tracking era. With two strikes and the bases empty, there have been 167 bunt attempts. Of those, 97 have resulted in strikeouts. That means 70 have resulted in balls in play, and 26 of those have resulted in hits. Thatâ??s a 42% in-play rate, and a 16% hit rate.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

      Comment


      • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

        How often do foul bunts on a strike two occur?
        Were you raised by communists? This is standard kindergartener-level knowledge alongside types of dinosaurs and names of the muppets.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

          Ok, so kepler's poking fun, but here's the answer: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/kyle-sch...e-bases-empty/
          sort of

          In the 2018 season by mid-july, there were 155 2-strike bunts attempted. Which is way higher than I would have guessed. of those, 131 were by pitchers.

          The article doesn't give ratios, but here's a potential estimate of a more specific scenario:
          That's telling me how many attempts occurred; how many times were they foul?

          Cornell '04, Stanford '06


          KDR

          Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

          Test to see if I can add this.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

            That's telling me how many attempts occurred; how many times were they foul?
            So that was the second part of my post. 2008-2018, there were 167 attempts with 2 strikes and bases empty. Of those, 98 were strikeouts. So it's probably, ahem, in the ballpark of about 58%.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

            Comment


            • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

              So that was the second part of my post. 2008-2018, there were 167 attempts with 2 strikes and bases empty. Of those, 98 were strikeouts. So it's probably, ahem, in the ballpark of about 58%.
              Assuming no whiffs, which I understand yes is very unlikely. So 10 a year. So pretty much something you might never see even if you watch a lot of games.

              Cornell '04, Stanford '06


              KDR

              Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
              iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
              gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
              Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
              Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
              TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
              DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

              Test to see if I can add this.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

                Assuming no whiffs, which I understand yes is very unlikely. So 10 a year. So pretty much something you might never see even if you watch a lot of games.
                I mean, I thoght it was common knowledge, but I can see if you didn't play little league you could go a decade never seeing it. And even if you did, you'd never remember. Like a delayed penalty in hockey where the team getting the penalty scores. Rare, but it happens, and you'd never remember the las ttime you saw it.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                Comment


                • Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

                  I mean, I thoght it was common knowledge, but I can see if you didn't play little league you could go a decade never seeing it. And even if you did, you'd never remember. Like a delayed penalty in hockey where the team getting the penalty scores. Rare, but it happens, and you'd never remember the las ttime you saw it.
                  I played LL, but thanks. I don't recall a lot of bunting there, but ymmv, in my case I don't think the Gainesville District Little League was exactly lighting up the LL world with its tactics. And being 10, my head my have been a little in the clouds, so I might have at one point missed what we've already determined in an incredibly common occurrence.

                  Cornell '04, Stanford '06


                  KDR

                  Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

                  Test to see if I can add this.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by French Rage View Post

                    I played LL, but thanks. I don't recall a lot of bunting there, but ymmv, in my case I don't think the Gainesville District Little League was exactly lighting up the LL world with its tactics. And being 10, my head my have been a little in the clouds, so I might have at one point missed what we've already determined in an incredibly common occurrence.
                    I sucked *** at hitting. BUt i was very very fast, so bunting was my thing :-(

                    I once stole home though to win a playoff game. So there's that!
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

                    Comment


                    • I was Nick Punto. Couldn't hit worth a damn. Like dx, if I managed to get on the bases, I was dangerous. I didn't bunt much though, usually drew a walk or crowded the plate and got hit. The real reason I was on any team was defense. Played primarily 2B and was all over that side of the infield. The hitting started to come around in later years, but I became more and more immersed in musical activities and baseball lost the battle for time.
                      the state of hockey is good

                      Comment


                      • 538 article on the Reds and 1899 Spiders.

                        Even with their terrible start, their Elo predictions still have them losing less than 100 games.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

                        1966, 1986, 2007

                        Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          Dylan Bundys magical season start has crashed to reality in Tampa.
                          2nd straight start he's gotten shelled. Time to make a change!
                          PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                          Steam Profile

                          Sports Allegiance
                          NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

                          Comment


                          • Was at a Sportsbook in northern iowa tonight and a guy came in and bet $94,000 that the Brewers will win by at least two runs tonight. Bet pays a total of $168,600.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post

                              2nd straight start he's gotten shelled. Time to make a change!
                              Defense didn't help him much today.
                              the state of hockey is good

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Was at a Sportsbook in northern iowa tonight and a guy came in and bet $94,000 that the Brewers will win by at least two runs tonight. Bet pays a total of $168,600.
                                *shocked emoji*

                                Wooooowwwwww.
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

                                Live Radio from 100.3

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X