Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aparch
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

The best solution is to end league playoffs entirely and just go back to a single World Series.

The next best is to have 2 teams from each league.

Then 4. Then 8. Then 16.

All series best of 7.

Those are your choices.
    I'm fully on board with Hovey's plan. Two best of threes (WC, DS), one best of five (CS), and a best of seven World Series.

Only way I can get on board with your plans Kep is if you can promise me the NL gets rid of the stupid DH.

Either way. Can they stop playing World Series games in November? Last week of October should be it. Opening day should be a week later as well....
    Last edited by aparch; 10-13-2023, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Sack races every other Sunday until a winner is determined.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

Well, after two years it appears to be a disadvantage to get the bye. Unless the playoffs expand to 8 to have everyone play in the first round that’s the next best solution.
    The best solution is to end league playoffs entirely and just go back to a single World Series.

The next best is to have 2 teams from each league.

Then 4. Then 8. Then 16.

All series best of 7.

Those are your choices.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by Kepler View Post

No, no, no.

Don't make me come down there.
    Well, after two years it appears to be a disadvantage to get the bye. Unless the playoffs expand to 8 to have everyone play in the first round that’s the next best solution.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    I'm really loathe to expand the playoffs. On the other hand, we're already at 6 for each league, and I know there is literally no chance of contracting the field. With that, I'd prefer that they go to 8 in each league, avoid the byes, with the first two rounds a best of 3 in the higher seeds ballpark, followed by a best of 5 championship series and seven game WS.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    I like Jim’s suggestion of following the NPB model giving the higher seed a 1-0 lead to start the series.
    No, no, no.

Don't make me come down there.

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Braves are eliminated.

I like Jim’s suggestion of following the NPB model giving the higher seed a 1-0 lead to start the series. At least for the DS round since you have a team coming off a bye.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    The number of playoff teams is fine, it’s just the way it’s organized is the problem. Move to two divisions, give the division winners a bye, have the 2 and 3 teams play a best of 3, then do what NPB does in Japan and have the winner play the division winner but the division starts the series with a win (so they only need to win 3 games instead of 4).

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

I agree. I would have traded Kepler at his apex which was a couple of years ago.
    I doubt you'll get much value for me.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied
    Top 5 teams in wins (ATL - 104, BAL - 101, LAD - 100, TAM - 99, MIL - 92), 4 were swept and 1 (ATL) is a game away from losing 3-1.

Meanwhile the 3 CS teams have 90, 90, and 84 wins, with another 90 win team likely to join them.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied
    I've long thought since the WS started expanding well into late October that the regular season could be shortened to 150 games, which with 1 day off a week would lessen the season by 2 weeks. It will never happen becasue of $$

Leave a comment:

• Spartanforlife4
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post

No, no, no, don't expand; go back to 2 WC and the one-game playoff. Make being division winner mean something due to WC teams having the extra game.
    That would be my preference as well but that’s definitely not happening.

While I’ve been against shortening the regular season, if you’re going to start expanding the playoffs and turning 162 games into a 3 and 5 game sprint, might as well shorten it. What’s the point of grinding for 100 wins if the reward is a bye in a sport where that appears to be a detriment.

It made sense back in the day with even schedules and first place went to the World Series, and still made some sense when they went to divisions and first place faced off for the pennant. But now with interleague and going less division-heavy on scheduling it makes less sense to keep having autobids for divisions and all the wild cards. And now that I’m saying that, if anything we’re trending towards the point where the schedule should be expanded to 174, everyone plays eachother six times, and the top two face off in the World Series. Everyone would have more games and the schedule would end at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• ScoobyDoo
    replied
    Originally posted by French Rage View Post

No, no, no, don't expand; go back to 2 WC and the one-game playoff. Make being division winner mean something due to WC teams having the extra game.
    I prefer the old system as well. Same with College Football. Everyone loves this expanded BS. Regular seasons are now pretty meaningless in all sports.

Leave a comment:

• French Rage
    replied

At the very least I think they need to expand so there are no byes (since they aren’t contracting the playoffs). Still a small sample size since it’s only been two years but besides the Astros giving these guys an extra All Star break length time off isn’t good when they’re facing teams still on a regular season timeline.

Leave a comment:

• SonofSouthie
    replied
    Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
    The asterisk is getting bigger next to the 2020 dodgers WS *
    Pile on a little bit,

The Dodgers became only the second team in baseball history to win 100 games during the regular season and never have so much as a lead during an ensuing postseason series, joining the 1963 Yankees, who were swept in the World Series by the Dodgers of another time.
    It marked the third straight year the Dodgers were eliminated in the postseason by a team they finished more than 15 games better than during the regular season. In each of the past two years, they were defeated in the NLDS by a division rival they previously dominated -- first by the Padres then by Arizona, both in the wake of relatively long layoffs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X