Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    But it also might be a huge ****ing anchor. If he can't pitch.
    All they need to do is give him the Kershaw treatment.

Pitch April and May. Feign an injury to keep him from pitching June, July, and a couple weeks in Augus. Voila! He can magically pitch again in September and October.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
      All they need to do is give him the Kershaw treatment.

Pitch April and May. Feign an injury to keep him from pitching June, July, and a couple weeks in Augus. Voila! He can magically pitch again in September and October.
      Didn't help LA this year. I think Kershaw just got tagged for ANOTHER run by Arizona...

LA more than likely got themselves a pig in a poke with Ohtani. My guess is they'll be lucky to get the equivalent of 3 seasons worth of pitching out of him. None at all of course in 2024, 2025 is not 100% assured but they'll probably get most of a season. Over the next 3 seasons he'll be hurt and won't pitch in one of them at all, and by 2029, with 5 seasons to go on the deal, he'll be a $70 million dollar DH. And that doesn't even take into consideration whether or not he won't suffer from some injury that limits his DHing.

Ohtani will probably finally make a postseason. He'll also probably be part of another 100+ win team that totally chokes in the playoffs. Hell, LA might set a record for regular season wins in 2024. Won't matter. They'll crap out in the playoffs like normal.

Comment

• Ohtani is deferring 68 million of his 70 per year. So the Dodgers open up 68 million in cash flow and the luxury tax calculation comes out to 46 million, so they’re saving 24 million in that regard.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          Ohtani is deferring 68 million of his 70 per year. So the Dodgers open up 68 million in cash flow and the luxury tax calculation comes out to 46 million, so they’re saving 24 million in that regard.
          Yeah, it's sort of crazy. Between Ohtani, Betts and Freeman the Dodgers will owe something like $85-100 million per year to guys in 2034-2044, who will all be retired. Also some thought that Ohtani will see a tax benefit, since he presumably will no longer be in California, or even the U.S., when he starts getting paid, although I have literally no idea whether that is true or not, or will be true in 2034 when he starts getting paid.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Yeah, it's sort of crazy. Between Ohtani, Betts and Freeman the Dodgers will owe something like $85-100 million per year to guys in 2034-2044, who will all be retired. Also some thought that Ohtani will see a tax benefit, since he presumably will no longer be in California, or even the U.S., when he starts getting paid, although I have literally no idea whether that is true or not, or will be true in 2034 when he starts getting paid.
            I'm pretty sure he will still have to pay U.S. taxes. But he won't have to pay California taxes, even if he lives somewhere else in the U.S.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Why are the Mariners shedding payroll and angering their fans?

Because they’re having to completely take over their RSN.

Turns out that WBD was footing the bill for production costs for the Mariners and Kraken and now the Mariners are going to be on the hook for those costs, plus rights fees they’ll have to pay to the Kraken and Trailblazers (which could be anywhere from $50 to $80 million dollars a year).
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Dodgers continue to dominate this offseason. They sign Yamamoto to 12 years/325 million, the most money ever for a pitcher-only contract. And a $50 million posting fee to Orix in the NPB.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

• One billion in salary between those two. **** me.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Dodgers continue to dominate this offseason. They sign Yamamoto to 12 years/325 million, the most money ever for a pitcher-only contract. And a $50 million posting fee to Orix in the NPB.
                    Kill me.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Kill me.
                      But think how much fun its going to be for Dodger-haters to watch a team win 120 regular season games and lose a playoff series to some team that finished 32 games behind them in the standings! Ohtani will finally make a postseason in 2024, and when it's over, he'll still have the same number of playoff wins as Mike Trout.

Comment

• Amazon invests in Diamond Sports as part of bankruptcy restructuring of Bally.

Still not clear what will happen beyond this season for the NBA and NHL, but for at least five MLB teams they will be available on Prime this year. Detroit, KC, Miami, Milwaukee, and Tampa all have their direct to consumer rights purchased by Amazon for this season.

I've seen some celebrate this because it means no more Bally, but I'm not sure how much this actually changes. It's still Diamond sports producing and unless Amazon offers a lower add-on price, this actually became more expensive for fans because now they'll need Prime on top of their local sports sub.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Amazon invests in Diamond Sports as part of bankruptcy restructuring of Bally.

Still not clear what will happen beyond this season for the NBA and NHL, but for at least five MLB teams they will be available on Prime this year. Detroit, KC, Miami, Milwaukee, and Tampa all have their direct to consumer rights purchased by Amazon for this season.

I've seen some celebrate this because it means no more Bally, but I'm not sure how much this actually changes. It's still Diamond sports producing and unless Amazon offers a lower add-on price, this actually became more expensive for fans because now they'll need Prime on top of their local sports sub.
                          I read that the plan is still have all the games available through cable/satellite.

So, don't know what the longterm plans are for Amazon, but for now, it appears to be a straight investment deal.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

• If the Tigers, Wings, and Pistons could all be on Prime, then I don't see how cable exists in Michigan. You can get a 15 dollar sub to Prime, then a 10? sub to ESPN+ and cover basically all games.
                            Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                              If the Tigers, Wings, and Pistons could all be on Prime, then I don't see how cable exists in Michigan. You can get a 15 dollar sub to Prime, then a 10? sub to ESPN+ and cover basically all games.
                              But you can bet those streaming prices will start going up as they continue to spend money on sports rights. Just like the streaming TV providers are now no longer that much cheaper than cable/satellite.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                                If the Tigers, Wings, and Pistons could all be on Prime, then I don't see how cable exists in Michigan. You can get a 15 dollar sub to Prime, then a 10? sub to ESPN+ and cover basically all games.
                                You already don’t need cable to watch them if they’re on the local broadcast. The Bally App is like 20 a month. ESPN+ won’t actually get you anything because it blacks out local markets. And you still need cable to get games on ESPN or Fox Sports apps because those require cable log ins, so national games wouldn’t be available for ESPN or FS1 or TNT and the like.

Plus it definitely won’t be rolled into the Prime subscription. It might be discounted at first but it’ll for sure be an add-on, so it’s really 15 for Prime plus 15-20 for Detroit pro sports.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X