Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MLB 2022: Playing Ball, But Is Anyone Still Watching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

Let's just bring back the classic barnstorming teams from 100 years back, except the team is in MLB. No, I don't have any earthly idea how that would actually work in practice.
    They could be the "home" team for every city without a team. They'd play 27 3-game home series each in a different city. Then every year the bottom 5 in attendance would be dropped and the next 5 added.

Are there 27 states without an MLB team? Restrict their games to those states.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• The Yogi Berra documentary It Ain't Over is wonderful. I might be behind on it, but if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

Comment

• If the rumors are to be believed, Ohtani is down to the Dodgers and Blue Jays and will decide by the end of the weekend.
        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
          If the rumors are to be believed, Ohtani is down to the Dodgers and Blue Jays and will decide by the end of the weekend.
          SI repeated the Dodgers fan site post that Ohtani is going to Toronto; the RSN that owns the Blue Jays can afford Ohtani's $600M because they are dropping the NHL rights, which lose the equivalent.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            The Yogi Berra documentary It Ain't Over is wonderful. I might be behind on it, but if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.
            I concur wholeheartedly.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Ohtani to the Dodgers. 10 years/700 million.

Wild. I thought his max was 600 and that was before getting Tommy John again.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Ohtani to the Dodgers. 10 years/700 million.

Wild. I thought his max was 600 and that was before getting Tommy John again.
                more power to him but that is ****ing ridiculous

I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• That's sad, I really hoped he would get a chance to play for a team that could win a WS.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

more power to him but that is ****ing ridiculous
                    Agreed. Most dynamic player since Ruth, but it’ll be a year before he can be a pitcher, so there’s 70M year 1 for a DH. Though there are evidently unprecedented deferrals in the deal so it won’t truly be 70M in cash. But if this isn’t just a one-time deal for a once in a century player and ends up raising salaries across the board, that’s going to create an interesting economy for a league losing its RSNs by next year for half the league. Better hope fans love paying for direct streaming or those OTA ads cash in.

1966, 1986, 2007

Comment

Agreed. Most dynamic player since Ruth, but it’ll be a year before he can be a pitcher, so there’s 70M year 1 for a DH. Though there are evidently unprecedented deferrals in the deal so it won’t truly be 70M in cash. But if this isn’t just a one-time deal for a once in a century player and ends up raising salaries across the board, that’s going to create an interesting economy for a league losing its RSNs by next year for half the league. Better hope fans love paying for direct streaming or those OTA ads cash in.
                      This comment makes me wonder what is gonna happen if a team truly does end up spending more than it brings in. Is it possible for a modern sports franchise to truly run itself out of business? I mean teams have been increasing their ability to print money, so where exactly is the ceiling?
                      It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Sounds like dodgers haven’t confirmed yet, and it might be due to needing physical.

im sure it won’t be a repeat of Correa

Comment

• 35M for hitting and 35M for pitching. And he saves you a roster spot. Ohtani really is that special. Just wish he didn't go to the Yankees of the NL.
                          Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bronco View Post
                            35M for hitting and 35M for pitching. And he saves you a roster spot. Ohtani really is that special. Just wish he didn't go to the Yankees of the NL.
                            I think I agree with this assessment. There's also some degree of value to the franchise in terms of marketing alone. So like, it might even be 30+30+10.

But it also might be a huge ****ing anchor. If he can't pitch.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Magic can afford it :-0
                              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

I think I agree with this assessment. There's also some degree of value to the franchise in terms of marketing alone. So like, it might even be 30+30+10.

It is a risk, and he will likely not be as effective at year 7-10. He is still the best player in baseball assuming he comes back healthy from injury. I look back at the Miggy contract and I know it was terrible in the last 3 seasons, but that was the cost to get him at his prime, and it was well worth it even though the Tigers never won the world series.
                                Let's Go Broncos!

Comment

Working...
                                X