Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$5 Gas... It's De-Ja-Vu All Over Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swansong View Post
    What an unbelievably disingenuous thing to post.
    Hey, that’s my line.

Comment

we should definitely let millions more die so that gas can stay cheap (ignoring all the other externalities, of course).
      I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        The rich get richer and we're made to serve the oligarchs who really hold the power.

How do you change the paradigm? Or, has nothing has changed since Ur and we're locked into lather, rinse, repeat?
        Evolve out. We created war so the most aggressive, patriotic, authoritarian genes would be removed from the pool before they could spread.

It was working. But then we extended war to murdering pacific civilian populations, which RUINS THE WHOLE IDEA.

We need to bring back mass standing armies of the rural poor that grind each other into dust. Balance the forces so the war just continues forever with neither side achieving any gains. A dozen generations of that and we could start seeing a change in the species for the better.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

How about this message. Maybe next time, when you want to stand up and tell everyone you are going to "follow the science," you also tell them, "now, in doing so, we are going to spectacularly **** up your economy, the likes of which you've probably never seen before. You won't be able to get products, and those that you can find are going to be much more expensive. Housing prices are going to skyrocket. The supply chain will be gorked, and the transportation industry will be a 78 truck pile up on Interstate 80. But we believe, from a medical standpoint, it's necessary to do that."

Too direct?
          Who was President again when that happened?

How about the next time you plan to post complete and utter nonsense you remind us that your opinions are ****ing moronic and you never actually research anything before you post them you just pull them out of your azz and throw them against the wall like a ****ing monkey. It will ignore all truth, logic and rationality, and while you will deny most of it comes straight from the horses azz that is Right Wing "Journalists" it will parallel them completely and will likely not even have the verbiage and crappy grammar changed in an effort to hide it. Your post will be mocked and ridiculed and you will cry about how there is groupthink, ignoring the fact that almost anyone with an iq over 13 can see how wrong about everything what you said truly is.

Too direct?
          Last edited by Handyman; 06-23-2022, 09:24 AM.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What I am saying is this.

Let's go back in time, say 27 months. dx was sitting at home, terrified of dying of Covid, and insisting, no demanding that the US economy be toggled off like he was turning off his Playstation.

Now, were there good health reasons, medical reasons, for doing that? Sure, no doubt. But there were also people, including people on this board, suggesting maybe we pump the brakes on that idea. It was suggested that business, industry, the economy, don't work that way. You can't just switch them off, then come back in nine months and expect everything will be normal.

But here we are, 27 months later. We turned off the economy, and now we turned it back on again. We flooded the marketplace with free money, a spigot which has since been turned off (as we knew would have to happen). We told people that they don't have to pay major bills, like for housing, without reminding them that bill would ultimately come due. We frightened people into fleeing the workforce, or convinced them they shouldn't return unless they are paid $50/hour.

Well, those things have consequences. We're now living through them. Unfortunately for Joe and the Democrats, when things go to ****, the person or party in power typically pays the political price, whether it was their fault or not. No sense whining about it. That's the way it is.
            This man predicted 20,000 deaths. #Neverforget

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post

This man predicted 20,000 deaths. #Neverforget
              He was only off by a million.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                Shockingly saw gas for $4.55/gallon on Cleveland's east side. Two weeks ago the same station was $5.09. Could the crash be coming?

$4 gas in early summer 2008, if not precipitating the wost economic crisis since the Great Depression was certainly a precursor. 6 months later it cost half that (or less in some places) and we were in the midst of the worst economic downturn in nearly a century.

But Janet Yellen isn't seeing a lot of things that are pointing to that, so I am breathing a sigh of relief.
                A friend I trust that works in real estate said she believes the housing recession will be next spring. If that is true then a full on economic recession will come with it. That and Russia's little dick measuring contest will likely slide the developed world into a recession which should be fun for everyone!
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Who was President again when that happened?

How about the next time you plan to post complete and utter nonsense you remind us that your opinions are ****ing moronic and you never actually research anything before you post them you just pull them out of your azz and throw them against the wall like a ****ing monkey. It will ignore all truth, logic and rationality, and while you will deny most of it comes straight from the horses azz that is Right Wing "Journalists" it will parallel them completely and will likely not even have the verbiage and crappy grammar changed in an effort to hide it. Your post will be mocked and ridiculed and you will cry about how there is groupthink, ignoring the fact that almost anyone with an iq over 13 can see how wrong about everything what you said truly is.

Too direct?
                  You can mock and ridicule it all you want, but it isn't wrong.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

A friend I trust that works in real estate said she believes the housing recession will be next spring. If that is true then a full on economic recession will come with it. That and Russia's little dick measuring contest will likely slide the developed world into a recession which should be fun for everyone!
                    Considering how so many peoples property tax value shot up over 20% for next year, that would be ironic timing. Counties were sure fast to jump values up this year for next years tax assessments, will see how fast they move to lower them if housing market falls

Comment

Any mention of the fun side affect of global wheat shortage?
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

You can mock and ridicule it all you want, but it isn't wrong.
                        It's entirely wrong as it ignores almost all the factors involved. But hey, it convinces the Fox News crowd, so therefore it's enough.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post

Any mention of the fun side affect of global wheat shortage?
                          Yeah, everyone is ****ing boned when that comes around as well. Governments are failing everywhere. And Governments are what decided this global supply chain was a good ****ing idea.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

How about this message. Maybe next time, when you want to stand up and tell everyone you are going to "follow the science," you also tell them, "now, in doing so, we are going to spectacularly **** up your economy, the likes of which you've probably never seen before. You won't be able to get products, and those that you can find are going to be much more expensive. Housing prices are going to skyrocket. The supply chain will be gorked, and the transportation industry will be a 78 truck pile up on Interstate 80. But we believe, from a medical standpoint, it's necessary to do that."

Too direct?
                            I'm trying to figure out what your point is here. Yes, I believe everyone knew the shutdowns were going to have definite reverberations. With an economy run on such a global, fine-tuned, just-in-time manner, even minor adjustments would be large aftershocks, to say nothing of major ones. The other solution was many many more dead; there was no answer where we didn't have negative repercussions, so we had to pick the least bad one. This was never sold as a perfect solution without any consequences and to pretend otherwise is ridiculous.

Unfortunately the public has the mindspan of a gnat, and also thinks if they have someone to blame it magically gets better (it does not). So they'll inevitably put back in power the same people who whistled Dixie (literally) as this all went down and allowed it all to develop in the first place.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Plus, the idea that if we only had not done anything and just let people die in insane numbers while the rest of the world did mostly the right thing wouldn't have an unbelievable impact on the economy is just being willfully obtuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

Considering how so many peoples property tax value shot up over 20% for next year, that would be ironic timing. Counties were sure fast to jump values up this year for next years tax assessments, will see how fast they move to lower them if housing market falls
                                It is going to be interesting. I figured 2024 was D-Day but she shut me down hard on that saying next year for sure. I am still skeptical, but if she is right the cascade effect could be wild.

Thank god I got my house severely undervalued (like $70k under what it should have sold for) and have no intention of moving any time soon. A lot of people who bought at the top of the market though are gonna be in troooooooooooooooooooooooooouble. Sometimes people never learn.

(see also: government who never actually watch what is happening as your comment lays out)
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X