Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$5 Gas... It's De-Ja-Vu All Over Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naively as a layman, I would think long-term scalable storage is one of those things that's just a matter of time. It smells like an extrapolation from current knowledge and technology. No "then a miracle occurs" leap is necessary (as was with e.g. semi-conduction or entanglement).
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Let me ask a massively naive question. The Earth rotates. That is a **** ton of kinetic energy. Is there any way to skim that off directly? I understand that wind and tidal sources are indirectly tapping it.
      Cornell University
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Let me ask a massively naive question. The Earth rotates. That is a **** ton of kinetic energy. Is there any way to skim that off directly? I understand that wind and tidal sources are indirectly tapping it.

Comment

• This is impressive, if it happens, which I'll believe when it happens.

What did we give Manchin?
          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
            Wind is wonderful, but it's unreliable. We need large scale energy storage to make it reliable for baseline load.

Here in ND, where Handy can confirm the wind blows, Minnkota Power has 457MW (faceplate) of wind. That's perfect conditions generation rating. None of their three sites have been anywhere near that in 24 hours. You can't rely on wind right now.
            You want energy independence, then you need to get power from all available resources. The fact that you are "well, but" just says that you are another BS'er who pretends to care.

Every MWhr of wind we get for electricity is another MWhr of HC that we don't import, based on your "desire".

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

You want energy independence, then you need to get power from all available resources. The fact that you are "well, but" just says that you are another BS'er who pretends to care.

Every MWhr of wind we get for electricity is another MWhr of HC that we don't import, based on your "desire".
              It doesn't do much good to have power if you can't use it. If the wind is blowing at 2am and everyone is asleep, what good is it? Somehow the grid has to figure how to put all the sources together. Base load is pretty important unless you want to have black outs

The senate energy bill put the tax credit for residential solar back to 30%, it was down to 26% this year, 22% next year and then gone. I think its back to 30 % in 22 so yea for me getting 30% instead of 26%
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post

It doesn't do much good to have power if you can't use it. If the wind is blowing at 2am and everyone is asleep, what good is it? Somehow the grid has to figure how to put all the sources together. Base load is pretty important unless you want to have black outs

The senate energy bill put the tax credit for residential solar back to 30%, it was down to 26% this year, 22% next year and then gone. I think its back to 30 % in 22 so yea for me getting 30% instead of 26%
                This is the main problem with selling the idea of clean energy to the general population...

There are complexities that they never think about (and don't want to)...
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

I just realized you're actually Mitch McConnell.
                  McConnell isn't incompetent.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• with the $ strength recently gas is now $1.16/gallon here
                    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

You are missing the point- while you are correct at 2am when the wind isn't blowing, when it's 3pm and the wind is at 20mph, you are offsetting HC's that would be burnt to make up for that need. If the desire is to be energy independent, saving every HC you can is required. We have the flexibility to have various HC's be burnt to make up when the wind is not blowing, so using the wind when you can will make sure that you minimize the amount of HC's imported.

Do people *really* want to be energy independent, or are they just saying that to burn more HC's for the sake of burning them?

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

This is the main problem with selling the idea of clean energy to the general population...

There are complexities that they never think about (and don't want to)...
                        The point that I'm trying to make is using other sources as offsets for imported HCs. Some people want to pretend that we want to be more independent (even though we already are), but instead of using all sources, they just want to "drill baby drill."

There are more reasons than being clean to use wind or solar.

Comment

• Or we also start developing energy storage techniques. Reservoirs, flywheels, batteries, pressurized gas, etc.

Night loads will always be trickiest. But we're a nation of brilliant scientists and engineers. It's not like it's an unsolvable problem. People like sic are just intellectually lazy as ****.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            People like sic are just intellectually lazy as ****.
                            This. It’s such a **** poor excuse to just keep burn, burn, burning fossil fuels to own the libs

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

You are missing the point- while you are correct at 2am when the wind isn't blowing, when it's 3pm and the wind is at 20mph, you are offsetting HC's that would be burnt to make up for that need. If the desire is to be energy independent, saving every HC you can is required. We have the flexibility to have various HC's be burnt to make up when the wind is not blowing, so using the wind when you can will make sure that you minimize the amount of HC's imported.

Do people *really* want to be energy independent, or are they just saying that to burn more HC's for the sake of burning them?
                              At the moment baseload just can't be turned off and on because a gust of wind came up, thats the real point and the big issue with the grid and renewables.
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

At the moment baseload just can't be turned off and on because a gust of wind came up, thats the real point and the big issue with the grid and renewables.
                                You do realize that wind farms are put into locations where the wind is pretty consistent, right? They are not going just anywhere.

Again, I don't disagree that the variability is an issue. But if people *really* want independence, well, wind and solar must be part of it. Both can reasonably be predicted at their respective locations, so CNG plants can throttle pretty well. You make it sound as if there's not many decades of wind power, and we are just beginners....

Whatever it takes to not import a barrel of oil has to be part of the system, else people that claim to want it are just full of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X