Rachel Alexandra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rachel Alexandra

I'm not sure if there are any horse racing fans out there, but if there are, how about some comments on this filly, who could be one of the best horses of any gender ever. I know that's talk that comes around almost every year but just maybe she is the real deal. I was at the Spa yesterday just to see her run against older male rivals in the Woodward and wasn't disappointed. Throughout the stretch run, the crowd exploded into a sustained pitch of noise that I've rarely heard at any sporting event. She pressed a blistering early pace and still had enough left to hold off a fierce stretch drive by Macho Again, no slouch in his own right.

I'm not crazy about her trainer, Steve Asmussen, who has been suspended by racing authorities in the past and her owner, Jess Jackson, who though a sportsman, simply whisked her away from her original connections with his megabucks, but I still think this is a superstar equine athlete.

Re: Rachel Alexandra

Rachel Alexandra is certainly a special horse. Even when she didn't run a great preakness, she still was able to win. I wouldn't lump her in with the greatest horses though. Not even close.
    Sioux Yeah Yeah

Comment

The Woodward field was a joke. She should have run in the Travers.
      Keep an open mind. Just don't be so open-minded that your brain falls out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sloe Gin View Post
        Rachel Alexandra is certainly a special horse. Even when she didn't run a great preakness, she still was able to win. I wouldn't lump her in with the greatest horses though. Not even close.
        I agree 100%. Not even in the conversation of greatest horses.
        Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
        NFL Min
        MLB NYM, Min
        NHL Min, Dal
        NCAAB Min, Baylor
        NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
        Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by GOPHER FREAK View Post
          I agree 100%. Not even in the conversation of greatest horses.
          How can a horse be in the conversation if the owners wont even let her race in all the Triple Crown races? I am almost as sick of RA as I was of Barbaro but at least Barbaro ran against the best consistently.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Unless we're talking about a banana bread baking contest, I don't see how this question can even be seriously asked about a girl.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              How can a horse be in the conversation if the owners wont even let her race in all the Triple Crown races? I am almost as sick of RA as I was of Barbaro but at least Barbaro ran against the best consistently.
              The animal can't enter races herself and her previous owners refused to enter her against colts. Can't hold that against her. I agree that the jury is still out but in my mind she could prove to be one of the best. Her 4 year old campaign will tell the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                Her 4 year old campaign will tell the story.
                And maybe it will. However, I really don't see RA ever being compared to Secretariat, Man o' War, Seattle Slew or Native Dancer. Ever.

John Henry, While a wonderful horse isn't compared to these horses. And RA has some work to do to even be compared to John Henry.
                Sports Alleigance

NCAAH Minnesota
                NFL Min
                MLB NYM, Min
                NHL Min, Dal
                NCAAB Min, Baylor
                NCAAFB Min, Ole Miss
                Soccer USA, Liverpool, Sheffield Wednesday

Comment

Originally posted by GOPHER FREAK View Post
                  And maybe it will. However, I really don't see RA ever being compared to Secretariat, Man o' War, Seattle Slew or Native Dancer. Ever.

John Henry, While a wonderful horse isn't compared to these horses. And RA has some work to do to even be compared to John Henry.
                  I generally agree with you. Horse racing has changed dramatically since the days of the greats you mentioned. It's all about the money and the economics dictate against racing longevity and the risks it entails. Jackson ran Curlin an extra year for the sake of the sport so maybe it will be different with RA. She could be something special and only time and proper management, along with soundness and some luck will tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Wholin1 View Post
                    The animal can't enter races herself and her previous owners refused to enter her against colts. Can't hold that against her. I agree that the jury is still out but in my mind she could prove to be one of the best. Her 4 year old campaign will tell the story.
                    No but until she can prove that she can run races at any length (which her owners obviously doubt) she will always be at least one level below all of the greats including every Triple Crown Winner. (and really any horse that won 2 legs of the TC seeing as she only won the Preakness)
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
                      Unless we're talking about a banana bread baking contest, I don't see how this question can even be seriously asked about a girl.
                      A horse that can bake banana bread? That would truly be a special horse.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      No but until she can prove that she can run races at any length (which her owners obviously doubt) she will always be at least one level below all of the greats including every Triple Crown Winner. (and really any horse that won 2 legs of the TC seeing as she only won the Preakness)
                      There's more to horse racing than the Triple Crown. Curlin ran in all three TC races, won only one, but is generally viewed as being a more talented horse than several of those that have recently won two legs of the TC.

I do think that Rachel Alexandra is one of the best 3 year old fillies in recent memory -- especially given some of the other notables had been put down by this point in their careers. I just enjoy watching her run.
                      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                        A horse that can bake banana bread? That would truly be a special horse.

There's more to horse racing than the Triple Crown. Curlin ran in all three TC races, won only one, but is generally viewed as being a more talented horse than several of those that have recently won two legs of the TC.

I do think that Rachel Alexandra is one of the best 3 year old fillies in recent memory -- especially given some of the other notables had been put down by this point in their careers. I just enjoy watching her run.
                        Yes but Curlin ran the races...RA hasn't that is the point. That would be like someone saying they were the best professional golfer in the world but having never played in a Major and only winning minor events. Sooner or later you have to beat the best to be the best and Rachel Alexandra hasn't done that. Maybe she will but there is no way you can put her in the conversation with the greatest of all time.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                        X