This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

But I think a large part of that has to do with what a sizable number of posters think I think, or think I posted about before.
    Again, it does not matter what you think. Who you support, and who you excuse, are who you are.

What you think your motives are does not matter. I have no doubt 90% of Good Germans went to their graves sincerely believing they had done nothing wrong.

It's consequences, and the consequences of your votes and your stances are horrific. I'm not surprised you can't face it, but the reality of what you have cheered on is not affected by whether you realize it or not.

If you were dumb you'd have a way out: that you really couldn't have known. But you're smart. So it all sticks to you.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-14-2021, 02:32 PM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I wasn't "technically" right. I was actually right. News reports indicated that the guy was likely under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

You'll note that nowhere in my post did I suggest some sort of accidental death, even though you (and apparently others here) chose to project that into the post.
      Except that wasn't what was implied either intentionally or unintentionally and you are smart enough to know that.

Here let me see if I can put it in a way you will understand why you weren't right. Tell me if you see the difference between these two phrases:

1) A woman died over night as she was struck by a drunk driver in Minneapolis.

2) A woman died over night when a driver hit a parked car at the protest. Alcohol may have been involved.

It isn't hard to see the difference.

It has nothing to do with people assuming anything about you or how you feel, it has to do with the way you commented and what that comment tends to represent. (and it would if Kepler had said it, or dx, or Slap Shot or me) Whether you meant to or not (and I will take it on face value you didn't mean it this way) saying he was likely under the influence changes the nature of what happened. A drunk driver hitting the parked car makes it seem like a mistake...some dumb Wisconsin Transplant who had a couple cases of Miller Light and a few double Blackberry Brandys and forgot he was not in the middle of nowhere so he hit a car as he drove away screaming out Tobey Keith lyrics. There is no malice, no intent and it is more a confluence of bad outcomes that all hit one after another. It is nothing but a serious of unfortunate events...

As of now (subject to change since the driver survived so we will learn more) that isn't even close to what anyone is saying. The "likely impaired" is afterthought to what happened, because nothing seems to indicate the driver made a mistake. I have seen drunk drivers before, in Uptown, and never seen one driving so fast they launched a parked car into someone and killed them. You never see them speed up which is what witnesses said happened. As I said, if the driver was impaired that was to give him courage...

Wording and context matters as you know.
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Except that wasn't what was implied either intentionally or unintentionally and you are smart enough to know that.

Here let me see if I can put it in a way you will understand why you weren't right. Tell me if you see the difference between these two phrases:

1) A woman died over night as she was struck by a drunk driver in Minneapolis.

2) A woman died over night when a driver hit a parked car at the protest. Alcohol may have been involved.

It isn't hard to see the difference.
        The difference between your two sentences is that the second one provides more detail (slightly) which then provides more context, I suppose.

Sentence 1 only tells you that a woman was struck and killed by a drunk driver. We don't know if she was a pedestrian or in a car, or where in Minneapolis she may have been, or what she may have been doing.

Sentence 2 tells us that the driver hit a parked car at the protest, that a woman died, and that alcohol may have been a factor, but doesn't tell us whether she was a pedestrian, or maybe even in the car driven by the driver who may have been impaired.

Since we apparently want to talk about context in describing this incident, wouldn't it be better to write it this way: A woman attending a protest in the Uptown part of Minneapolis was killed Sunday night when a car she was sitting next to was struck by the driver of an SUV. The driver of the SUV was taken into custody. Alcohol may have been involved.

Those are the basic facts as have been reported, right? The driver's motives, what the driver may have been doing earlier, where he was going, etc..., are all unknown as of this point, at least as far has been reported.

So how did my sentence, reported widely in the media, cause so much offense?
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Be interesting what comes of this one https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...?p1=hp_primary

There was a black high school girl found hanging from a tree earlier in the school year from the same area and it was ruled a ‘suicide.’ It’s so messed up families for these kids don’t get treated fairly.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Everyone knows 'those people' can't swim.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• All over the world part 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-57428903

Comment

• I think Nicholas David Kraus might be the driver, for those of you on social media. St Paul resident.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Public records show 35 years old with 17 solid years of criminal activity, including assault, domestic assault, interference with 911 calls, fleeing police, multiple DWI’s including felony convictions, no license, no insurance.

Seems like a real sweetheart.

Comment

• Good thing he wasn't Black...lots of non-compliance there!
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Public records show 35 years old with 17 solid years of criminal activity, including assault, domestic assault, interference with 911 calls, fleeing police, multiple DWI’s including felony convictions, no license, no insurance.

Seems like a real sweetheart.
                      With no doubt lots of juvenile delinquency prior to that but is not part of his permanent record.
                      If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                        Let them eat pork.

Comment

a sizable number of posters think I think,
                          Name one
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Name one
                            You seriously want me to point you in the direction of posts in which people have written "Hovey thinks" this or "Hovey thinks" that? Heck, as I recall you even did one in which I think you made up a quote or statement about something and then "signed" it "Hovey circa 1900" or something like that, which, for purposes of style points, puts you ahead of some of the other posters, but in the end is still a projection.

Comment

• More brave heroes quitting

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...xtBiQ1zZIzB0Ls

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                                Good.

Cops who quit because another cop is held accountable should not be cops.

Now kill their pensions.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X