Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah she should fear that her family and friends thinks she is a moron.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• As I hear more info about this recent shooting... wondering where the good cops we keep hearing about really are....

- as was posted prior- there are two choices- complete incompetence or complete lying. I may be wrong, but I was not aware that incompetence is not a defense for murder. But this person should not be a cop ever again. How you mix up a bright yellow taser on one side of your body with a black gun on the other is beyond me- let alone the time between it being drawn and used was more than enough to notice the difference.

- how in the world did this escalate SO much that a taser was even required????? That's kind of insane!!! How about explain why you pulled the person over- how can they force you from your car without telling you why???? Even if they drive off- what exactly is the harm of just letting them run out of gas? Was the warrant for a capitol crime, or just some minor thing? I don't understand how we stand for ANY kind of force for minor charges. Let them run, they will run out of energy eventually. Our society lets far worse "white" crimes go without a significant amount of bail- so that the person has a reasonable chance of running.

Why do we allow the use of violent cop reaction for minor crimes but we have an alleged child sex ring runner out on the streets and talking to the news?????? Forgive me for thinking that a child sex ring is far, far, far worse than some person who is avoiding paying a ticket. Heck, even if the person is being charged with possession of drugs, I would consider that less than a sex ring where people are being trafficked.

This is just a good example why the cops need a purge. There are too many cops who take things far too personally and escalate simple or minor issues into violent encounters that often use capitol punishment when there is ZERO actual danger to the cop- let alone personal risk of death.

Comment

• According to the Minneapolis paper, cops mistaking their handgun for a taser has happened at least eleven times in the last twenty-two years, nationwide.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          According to the Minneapolis paper, cops mistaking their handgun for a taser has happened at least eleven times in the last twenty-two years, nationwide.
          So those cops should not be on the force, if they honestly mistake a deadly weapon for a suppressing weapon.

This is literally a life and death level mistake. People should not be subject to being killed by cops making a mistake like that.

Maybe they need to rethink- again- how a taser is used. As in it should not resemble a gun at all- in use, feel, practice, etc.

I would also like to see the decision tree that allows them to draw ANY weapon when a person is doing what was being done. So they person is trying to run- unless they are an actual threat to anyone, why use any violent suppression? They have a cell phone- track them.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            According to the Minneapolis paper, cops mistaking their handgun for a taser has happened at least eleven times in the last twenty-two years, nationwide.
            A whole 11 times? Well that changes everything!
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Officer Potter resigned...

edit: So did the Chief of Police.

https://apnews.com/article/daunte-wr...ign=SocialFlow
              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Sounds like we will know tomorrow if Potter will be charged.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Sounds like we will know tomorrow if Potter will be charged.
                  My bet is on some sort of negligent homicide, whatever the technical charge may actually be.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Washington country prosecutor is deciding. If he doesn’t charge, dx hood may get burned down

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                      Washington country prosecutor is deciding. If he doesn’t charge, dx hood may get burned down
                      Why Washington County’s DA?
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Why Washington County’s DA?
                        New policy for metro area- agreement is for a different county to handle from the get go

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                          Washington country prosecutor is deciding. If he doesn’t charge, dx hood may get burned down
                          Saw that yesterday. The metro area is going to burn if they don't convict chauvin. THey'll nuke the ashes if Officer WHOOOOPs doesn't get charged and convicted.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

My bet is on some sort of negligent homicide, whatever the technical charge may actually be.
                            That is the safe bet and probably the correct charge.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I'm going to apologize for this probable long post in advance- as I want to pick apart one of the defense witness thoughts as a core problem of the police system. And my mind is kind of racing around asking questions, so sorry if this is long or incoherent...

The witness was about use of force, and how it was justified. The main justification that I heard in the small news report is if the person is not calm and complying- which meant that the person is calm and his hands are in the small of his back. Which kind of seems insane on multiple levels.

Lets start with the calm part. In most of these cop situations, the person who is escalating the issue is the cop. They are demanding, almost never explain why they want the person do follow their commands, they always approach a situation assuming that violence will happen (see them approach a car with one hand on a weapon- not sure if that's a gun or taser). And even when the person they are pulling over is calm and asking what is the problem, they consistently raise the bar to massively increase the tension- which is really clear in both recent situations- the person ASKED what was the problem, and the cop escalated their demands.

At some levels, humans are just animals, and will react like animals. Like animals, humans react to threats. So when ANYONE walks up to you and is clearly threatening you, you will react like an animal and recognize the threat and put yourself in a heightened state. IMHO, it was a strong will that kept that Lieutenant calm and rational as the cops raised the threat situation constantly. Especially when our military is VERY attune to threats, as that's their entire survival. But it also may be an illustration how our modern military is trained to assess the situation and try to calm things down when appropriate- pure speculation there- it does fit the situation. The cop in Minnesota did NOT explain why she wanted the person out of the car- instead of explaining the situation, they amplified the demand. That seems to be an assumption on the cops that the person they have is already guilty and a threat, which is hardly right.

For these situations, had the cops been calm explained why they were doing X, it sure seems that they could have gotten a calm response - like- "this is my car, officer" or "I think the warrant is not for me, can you please double check" or at least when George stopped moving, he got off of him and checked instead of keep going.

The other part of being "calm" was putting your hands in the small of your back....

Again, at many levels, humans are just animals. When you can't breathe, you will naturally react to try to breathe. If you feel compression on your back, you will push up to breathe. To not do that, and actually put your hands in the small of your back, you would have to fight the animal reaction to keep you breathing and alive. Put another way- you have to accept that you will pass out and die just to STOP the cops from using force on you. How in the world did the "use of force" somehow get justified to make people consciously prevent an animal reaction to keep you alive?????!??!!!?!? That's completely insane, and not an acceptable reason to use force- people can NOT stop themselves to try to stay alive. Unless the goal is to die.

Going in threatening the accused, and justifying force to the point of their version of calm completely ignores that people are simple animals, and it's impossible to stop those reactions. That is a structural problem with the cops.

There have also been some statements that the people demanding that Chauvin get off of Floyd was a threat. Ok, fine- but explain to me that a "threat" from an outside group justify FURTHER use of force over a person???? IIRC, there were 3 other cops in the area- who should have easily been capable of dealing with the "public threat" so that George could have been let go. The idea that the crowd egged on the cop to further use of force is also quite insane.

This is why cops need to have their complete system redone. Their going in assumption to an encounter is that the person is a threat- which will naturally make the person not calm an natural, and their requirement of calm reaction to the use of force completely ignores basic human reaction to stay alive.

Add this to the very obvious fact that the response is greater for anyone who is black- they are perceived as a greater threat, they are questioned of if they are already breaking the law, they are the ones that the use of force standard is lower for. This is backed by data.

Not only do the whole police system need to back down on the race assumptions they are making, they need to back down the threat level that THEY are bringing into a situation. Let alone are the ones who are raising the threat.

This all ignores the thought of "what is so hard if they run?" Unless they are a real, immediate, threat to other people- get them later. They have phones- get a real warrant, and track them.

Comment

Second degree manslaughter in Minnesota is the correct charge.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/cite/609.205
                                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Working...
                                X