X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This presser could be going better...
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
      If you can't tell the difference... you shouldn't be a cop.
      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• I will allow for the fact that we know very little of the facts.

But officers, how did it get to a point where you needed to draw your weapon and fire at someone on a traffic stop that turned into a non-felony warrant arrest? I'll ignore, for the moment (but not for long) the rumor that he was pulled over because he had things dangling from his rear view. Let's pretend for a moment (but again, not for long) that he was speeding or blew a stop sign. You then ran his info and saw the warrant (again, for a non-felony incident).

How badly did you **** up the situation where you felt the need to draw your firearm and then fire?

No benefit of the doubt here. Even ignoring the (likely true) rumors that the guy sent a text saying he was stopped for such inane reasons, the very few facts that we have look incredibly damning. The police need to be in command of the situation and if you let it devolve to such a dangerous point then you screwed up from the start. And this says nothing about your judgement - or frightening lack thereof - to fire your god damned weapon at someone in this situation.
        I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post
          I will allow for the fact that we know very little of the facts.

But officers, how did it get to a point where you needed to draw your weapon and fire at someone on a traffic stop that turned into a non-felony warrant arrest? I'll ignore, for the moment (but not for long) the rumor that he was pulled over because he had things dangling from his rear view. Let's pretend for a moment (but again, not for long) that he was speeding or blew a stop sign. You then ran his info and saw the warrant (again, for a non-felony incident).

How badly did you **** up the situation where you felt the need to draw your firearm and then fire?

No benefit of the doubt here. Even ignoring the (likely true) rumors that the guy sent a text saying he was stopped for such inane reasons, the very few facts that we have look incredibly damning.
          One article I read said dangling air fresheners are a pretext cops use for profiling. Everybody has them but cops pull over blacks for special treatment, like Stop & Frisk. The same article said the outstanding warrant is non-felony.

Maybe the lady who killed him just hated Chauvin, because there is no way on God's green earth he is going to get off, now. If I were the defense I would be arguing this creates an environment in which it is impossible for him to get a fair trial. Can you do that?
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Jesus I just saw the twitter link.

Let's pretend, again for just a moment, that what they said is true that Officer Goddamned Moron thought she was tazing him instead of shooting him. This answers none of my questions about what created the situation, but it now points to the problem possibly being staggering ****ing incompetence that led to a death.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

One article I read said dangling air fresheners are a pretext cops use for profiling. Everybody has them but cops pull over blacks for special treatment, like Stop & Frisk. The same article said the outstanding warrant is non-felony.

Maybe the lady who killed him just hated Chauvin, because there is no way on God's green earth he is going to get off, now. If I were the defense I would be arguing this creates an environment in which it is impossible for him to get a fair trial. Can you do that?
              They already kind of did. They requested the jury be sequestered starting today, but the judge denied it until arguments are over and they go to deliberation.
              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

These are absolutely laws either written specifically for or bent into form to be used for police ability to pull someone over for literally any reason they want and it's absolutely unacceptable.

Comment

• I haven't had anything hanging from my mirror for maybe ten years now, but my wife still does. Neither one of us have ever had an officer mention it while pulled over for something else, much less been pulled over FOR it.

Another one these free passes to pull someone you don't think you like over is the rear license plate light being out.
                  the state of hockey is good

Comment

Don’t they usually keep them on opposite sides of their belt to avoid this?
                    Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                    Originally posted by Quizmire
                    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                    I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• The police video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYVtxReFeyM
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• The "rearview mirror" deal is used all the time and not just on Blacks. Cops use it after events as a pre-text to pull people over looking for DUIs. Radio stations used to warn people going to shows in Wisconsin (lots of local outdoor festivals just over the border) to not have anything dangle when they crossed back over to Minnesota because cops would get you.

Happened to me twice...cops never had to taze me let alone shoot me. Of course I was a 20 something White Person in Stillwater...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          The "rearview mirror" deal is used all the time and not just on Blacks. Cops use it after events as a pre-text to pull people over looking for DUIs. Radio stations used to warn people going to shows in Wisconsin (lots of local outdoor festivals just over the border) to not have anything dangle when they crossed back over to Minnesota because cops would get you.

Happened to me twice...cops never had to taze me let alone shoot me. Of course I was a 20 something White Person in Stillwater...
                          Cops have always been perfectly polite, if not deferential, to me. I'm sure it's just my winning personality.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            The "rearview mirror" deal is used all the time and not just on Blacks. Cops use it after events as a pre-text to pull people over looking for DUIs. Radio stations used to warn people going to shows in Wisconsin (lots of local outdoor festivals just over the border) to not have anything dangle when they crossed back over to Minnesota because cops would get you.

Cops will tell you they do that, that they are trained to do that. Failure to signal a turn. Tinted windows. Crap hanging from your rear view mirror. Cracked taillight. Anything that is the most technical violation of the law gives them probable cause to make a stop.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I haven't had anything hanging from my mirror for maybe ten years now, but my wife still does. Neither one of us have ever had an officer mention it while pulled over for something else, much less been pulled over FOR it.

Another one these free passes to pull someone you don't think you like over is the rear license plate light being out.
                              My brother told me a story once that made my blood run cold. He and his friends, 1975-ish, driving to a Dead show. Happily nobody was carrying. Cops are dragnetting the state highway leading to the venue and making all the younger drivers pull to the side to hassle them and hopefully get a whiff of pot or see something. Cop comes up to my brother and says get out of the vehicle, he does. Put your hands on the hood, he does. Gets searched, looks around in the car at the other passengers (full disclosure: my brother at this time looks more like a classic hippie than the cast of Hair). Finally says watch your driving, starts to walk back to his vehicle, when my brother's GF says "you know you need a reason to pull people over!" My brother, an ex-cabbie, just braces himself. Cop swings his stick lightly and busts his tail light without even stopping and says "you need to get that fixed" and drives away. My brother's just happy he didn't cite him.

Nice to see nothing's changed. I'm sure they were doing to same sh-t to Out groups in 1895.
                              Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Cops will tell you they do that, that they are trained to do that. Failure to signal a turn. Tinted windows. Crap hanging from your rear view mirror. Cracked taillight. Anything that is the most technical violation of the law gives them probable cause to make a stop.
                                They trained to do it only to blacks?

On second thought, don't answer that, I'm already annoyed enough.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X