Cops: No Snarky Nor Positive Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I was wondering the same thing...
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• I've watched every minute so far. It's nothing like TV. Lol.

Today was a bad day for the prosecution.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        I've watched every minute so far. It's nothing like TV. Lol.

Today was a bad day for the prosecution.
        How so?
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          How so?
          I'm not sure specifically what dx is referring to, and I haven't watched the trial live, but there were reports last night that suggested that while the famous video of Chauvin seems to show him kneeling on Floyd's neck, still photos from a different angle suggest his knee may have actually been on Floyd's shoulder blades, which witnesses seemed to concede.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            How so?
            The defense scored some major points from the prosecution witness. While he said that it seemed like an overuse of force, the defense got him to admit on the stand that it didn't appear to have his knee on his neck. That was pretty substantial and I'm surprised the prosecution didn't redirect with clips and stills showing the actual 9:29 and not the 30 seconds prior to it.

Edit: yes, what hovey said, except for the fact that the stills were out of context w/ regards to time.
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• I dont think the jury is going to see much of a difference between where the knee was and I think if the prosecution spent a lot of time trying to explain things out it would have helped very little and probably would have been too in the weeds for the jury to care.

Good job out of the defense, but I don't think it scored that many points because of the end result. If Floyd had lived, that would have been enough for a jury to probably say the cop wasn't "excessive" but in a case where even fellow cops are saying he went to far I dont see it much mattering.

JMHO after the fact.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• That’s fair. I’ll readily admit I have no idea how the jury will receive it.
                Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  I dont think the jury is going to see much of a difference between where the knee was and I think if the prosecution spent a lot of time trying to explain things out it would have helped very little and probably would have been too in the weeds for the jury to care.

Good job out of the defense, but I don't think it scored that many points because of the end result. If Floyd had lived, that would have been enough for a jury to probably say the cop wasn't "excessive" but in a case where even fellow cops are saying he went to far I dont see it much mattering.

JMHO after the fact.
                  It does give a juror who wants to acquit a peg to hang it on, though. Some people are just looking for a rationalization.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

It does give a juror who wants to acquit a peg to hang it on, though. Some people are just looking for a rationalization.
                    Don't ever pretend to know what's going on in a juror's head, because they will decide based on something completely different than whatever you think.

My evidence prof in law school learned long ago from his days as an AUSA that you never want to know why the jury decided the way they did. He lost a case that should've been a slam dunk. He got a call the next day from one of the juror's who wanted to tell him why they decided the way they did. He begged off and said that's ok, I'm sure you had your reasons. Juror insisted, he begged off again, juror kept pounding away at it so finally he said fine. Juror said "We just didn't think it was fair that you got to put on all your evidence and the other side didn't."

That's right, the defense's choice to not put on evidence earned them the acquittal.

A family friend was on a jury 40 or 50 years ago for some minor civil case as a 20-something recent college grad. She voted for the side with the better looking attorney.
                    Last edited by unofan; 04-07-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Don't ever pretend to know what's going on in a juror's head, because they will decide based on something completely different than whatever you think.

My evidence prof in law school learned long ago from his days as an AUSA that you never want to know why the jury decided the way they did. He lost a case that should've been a slam dunk. He got a call the next day from one of the juror's who wanted to tell him why they decided the way they did. He begged off and said that's ok, I'm sure you had your reasons. Juror insisted, he begged off again, juror kept pounding away at it so finally he said fine. Juror said "We just didn't think it was fair that you got to put on all your evidence and the other side didn't."

That's right, the defense's choice to not put on evidence earned them the acquittal.

A family friend was on a jury 40 or 50 years ago for some minor civil case as a 20-something recent college grad. She voted for the side with the better looking attorney.
                      Years ago, my mom was a juror in a drug possession case. The prosecution had all the evidence and testimony to get an easy conviction. The jury ended up deliberating for a day and half because there was a juror who wanted to acquit in a show of jury nullification against drug possession laws, and he initially convinced a couple others to go along with him.

Comment

• And the prosecution just scored a major goal.

The use of force expert from the LAPD said that it's not necessarily the knee to the neck, it's the fact that he was using downward force on the upper torso. That alone is what can cause someone to suffocate.

By the way, the other day when they were asking about the specifics of the prone position with handcuffs, they said that putting hands behinds someone's back can cause their breathing to become difficult. I encourage everyone to try this. Put your wrists tightly together behind your back and try breathing even sitting up straight. It's markedly more difficult. Now try it on the floor face down. Now imagine a 170+ lb person kneeling on your back.

If any of the jurors did even the wrists behind the back thing, I don't see how they do anything but vote to convict. It's shocking. Especially when followed by several days of top cops saying "YOU NEED TO GET THEM ON THEIR SIDE ASAP!!!"
                        Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

Remember everyone, if you're ever facing a jury, these are your peers.

**** me that's bad, uno
                          Code:

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            And the prosecution just scored a major goal.

The use of force expert from the LAPD said that it's not necessarily the knee to the neck, it's the fact that he was using downward force on the upper torso. That alone is what can cause someone to suffocate.

By the way, the other day when they were asking about the specifics of the prone position with handcuffs, they said that putting hands behinds someone's back can cause their breathing to become difficult. I encourage everyone to try this. Put your wrists tightly together behind your back and try breathing even sitting up straight. It's markedly more difficult. Now try it on the floor face down. Now imagine a 170+ lb person kneeling on your back.

If any of the jurors did even the wrists behind the back thing, I don't see how they do anything but vote to convict. It's shocking. Especially when followed by several days of top cops saying "YOU NEED TO GET THEM ON THEIR SIDE ASAP!!!"
                            You’re underselling the weight factor. He’s 170+ and then add in the weight of all his paramilitary gear that cops equip these days. That’s a solid 15+ pounds. It may not sound like much, but when you’re at your limit it means the world.
                            "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Nyt says defense today said “I can’t breathe” was a form of resisting arrest

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

You’re underselling the weight factor. He’s 170+ and then add in the weight of all his paramilitary gear that cops equip these days. That’s a solid 15+ pounds. It may not sound like much, but when you’re at your limit it means the world.
                                One of the prosecution witnesses said it could be upwards of 30 lbs easily.

100% agree. It's a lot.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X