This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    So, you want to be a juror in the murder trial of the George Floyd cops.

This will be interesting to see what they get for responses. I suspect a lot of social media sites are getting modified about now.
    I don't see how you get a truly untainted jury in Minnesota.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

I don't see how you get a truly untainted jury in Minnesota.
      About the best you could find, IMO, is to have as many people as possible who have close connections to both law enforcement officers and minorities staring down the barrel of their guns. Even then, such a person would still be swayed to once side of the argument or the other prior to the trial.

And given the national attention, I don't know where you would find an unbiased juror within the nation.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

So, you want to be a juror in the murder trial of the George Floyd cops.

This will be interesting to see what they get for responses. I suspect a lot of social media sites are getting modified about now.
        Holy hell. Imagine if your (general) completed form was leaked. There is no way to win this unless you don’t play.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Holy hell. Imagine if your (general) completed form was leaked. There is no way to win this unless you don’t play.
          No leaking necessary. As the document discloses, this will be a public document effective the end of the trial.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Yikes
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

No leaking necessary. As the document discloses, this will be a public document effective the end of the trial.
              Even if you don't get picked? That will at least discourage many people from deliberately trying to avoid duty by writing up some "I HATE THE FCKING COPS, FRY 'EM LIKE BACON" or "FLOYD WAS A DRUGGIE AND DESERVED IT" screed in their responses.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

What would be the big deal? Unless the trial goes sideways there isnt anything too controversial on that form. Jurors identities get found out all the time after the fact hell members of the OJ Jury wrote books and did talk shows.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

Even if you don't get picked? That will at least discourage many people from deliberately trying to avoid duty by writing up some "I HATE THE FCKING COPS, FRY 'EM LIKE BACON" or "FLOYD WAS A DRUGGIE AND DESERVED IT" screed in their responses.
                  It depends. I doubt it would show up in a background check if you arent selected but every time you are up for Jury Duty my guess is it will be flagged for review. If you never want to be part of a trial best way is to admit massive bias just avoid inflammatory language.

For example...say you have seen law enforcement use excessive force or that you know a lot of people in law enforcement. Then name weird types of media you watch/podcast that are fringe on all sides. You wont be picked for anything.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

What would be the big deal? Unless the trial goes sideways there isnt anything too controversial on that form. Jurors identities get found out all the time after the fact hell members of the OJ Jury wrote books and did talk shows.
                    I tell you what. Print out the form, fill it out completely and honestly, as required by the form, then throw it up on the board here and let us take a look at it. Or, throw it out on twitter or GPL, or someplace like that.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

That form goes way beyond any standard jury form I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to put half that shiat in writing regardless of my answer. Most of those questions should be asked at voir dire and potentially in chambers if needed.

And telling people the specific trial they've been picked for ahead of time? Also not normal.

This reeks of someone putting judicial economy ahead of juror's rights (why take 4 weeks for jury selection if we can get everyone to answer these ahead of time). And that's horse hockey.

Comment

I tell you what. Print out the form, fill it out completely and honestly, as required by the form, then throw it up on the board here and let us take a look at it. Or, throw it out on twitter or GPL, or someplace like that.
                        I only read part of it but I can say there is nothing I would put on there that most people dont already know about me. (especially here or Twitter...I havent posted on GPL since May) That is me though. I don't much hold back on any of it...but I will read the whole thing and get back to you.

I also have no desire to be anywhere near this jury so I guess I just don't care.

edit: Man whoever wrote this really wanted to cover everyone's butt. This is hilariously overdone but through 8 pages would have zero issue posting my responses or saying them out loud in front of people. If that holds for the last 8 pages I will post all of my responses.
                        Last edited by Handyman; 12-23-2020, 02:57 PM.
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

That form goes way beyond any standard jury form I've ever seen. I wouldn't want to put half that shiat in writing regardless of my answer. Most of those questions should be asked at voir dire and potentially in chambers if needed.

And telling people the specific trial they've been picked for ahead of time? Also not normal.

This reeks of someone putting judicial economy ahead of juror's rights (why take 4 weeks for jury selection if we can get everyone to answer these ahead of time). And that's horse hockey.
                          My first instinct when I read it was that it might be a set up for possibly moving the trial.

Comment

• Ok read it all...I am not sure what the point of all this was except as unofan said to cut down on the length of jury selection but it isnt like they are gonna take the jurors at their word anyways. Still have no issues so I will do my best to answer here...some questions that are obvious I will be brief like some of the early ones.

Part 1
                            1) I have seen the video so I know the details. Also saw what happened before the third party video so know about how the altercation started. I know the history of the officers in the case and Floyd's criminal background along with his issues with substance abuse. (I will not put the details because I am not actually filling this out)

2) very negative. Even if they felt what they were doing was justified in the beginning the fact that it went as long as it did and no one stepped in even as people were watching and taping hurts my impression of them.

3) Neutral. He had a very troubling past and he was definitely not in a good place when the incident happened. That said he didn't deserve to die.

4) No

5) yes 2-3 times all in parts as it disturbs me. My impressions is that nothing in the beginning justifies the ending which is horrific.

6) yes. He was murdered. (I could go further but there is no need for the purposes of this exercise)

7) no. (not that I know of anyways)

8) yes. (cousins Pawn Shop burned down)

9) I don't know. Not much has seemed to really change.

10) I can but I don't want to so I won't ;^)

Part 2
                            1) Online magazines and newspapers along with international sources

2) several times a week

3) WaPo, NYTimes, Sections of the Star Tribune

4) *** with Marc Maron, local sports show podcasts

5) Less than once a week

6) KFAN (I almost never listen tot he radio though)

7) several times a week

8) Twitter, Facebook

Part 3
                            1) I have had some unfavorable run ins with MPD but have also had working relationships with MPD officers as have friends and colleagues of mine so I think I can.

2) not in years

3) Yes. many members of my family and social group including myself have spoken out in favor of police reform in various levels. Friends in Minneapolis support the CC's effort to change the culture, my father protested in the 1960s for police reform and I am openly for drastic changes to help fix the culture and reputation of the MPD.

4) yes. Family member.

5) yes. I have been the victim of fraud.

6) somewhat unsatisfied.

7) in person I have not seen excessive force

8) no I have not

9) (I will only give the numbers) 5,5,5,3,2,2,4,2 (what is the criminal "just" system?),3,3,2,2

10) yes

11) yes

12) yes

13) very favorable

14) neutral

Part 4
                            1) 40/male

2) Masters Degree. Hold BA in Law and Criminal Deviance, Masters in Teaching and finished coursework for MBA

3) Full Time

4) Adjunct Faculty, Bartender, Accounting Supervisor, Office Worker, Mail Clerk

5) Crystal, MN

6) Plymouth, MN (1 year), Seattle, Washington (10 months), Brooklyn Center, MN (6 months), Minneapolis, MN (4 years), Plymouth, MN (1 year)

7) Long Term relationship

8) Full Time

9) BA with teaching credentials

10) N/A

11) No

12) close friends or family for all except forensics

13) Family and close friend for all 3. (plus I was a victim as previously noted)

14) no

15) served on a jury in a criminal case. Lawsuit against fast food restaurant

16) no

17) Black Belt in Karate

18) ACLU, NRDC, Act Blue, Human Rights Council, Oceana, AFT, Education Minnesota (there is more I am blanking on)

Part 5
                            1) I believe the jury system is as fair as the people who participate in it.

2) No. It is biased, it is corruptible and it does little to prevent further crime. It also does not rehabilitate in any way just creates a cycle of criminality.

3) no

4) no

5) no

6) no

7) no

Part 6
                            1) work related issues that I dont need to get into since this isnt real

2) no

3) yes

4) it would be difficult but I can do it

5) no

6) I have a full classload for school that will take up some of my time and concentration as the students needs are different during the Pandemic

7) no

8) no

9) no

10) no

11) HELL NO!

Now I answered this honestly for all to read cause I don't care. If I was actually trying to be on the jury I would have stopped after a couple of pages because there is no way I have any chance based on these questions. I would have just quit. Even though I can be unbiased in my mind I wouldnt want me on the jury if I was them. Every answer I gave made me seem like a far left radical out to destroy them as do my affiliations. Plus I read the news...not good for them. PERSONALLY I dont care about any of the questions since I wear my thoughts on my sleeve but good lord I doubt if anyone could answer these questions honestly and not disqualify themselves somehow.

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

My first instinct when I read it was that it might be a set up for possibly moving the trial.
                              Wouldn't work.(they already tried a change of venue request didnt they?) There is no where in this state that they could move it that wouldn't possess the same problems. I mean there was protests in Bemidji over this and that may only be 4 hours away but in terms of communities they are quite different. This is just too big of a case everyone knows everything about it and everyone has an opinion at this point.
                              -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• If this had happened 3 or 4 months ago, Columbus would probably be erupting in riots. Lucky for them this murder happening so quickly on the heels of another murder by cop in the Columbus area took place in December and not August.

2 days ago I was in Iowa for work and had a couple of hours to kill between meetings. I wasn't at all familiar with my surroundings so basically just parked and did some work in my car. Like the victim in the above incident, I frequently turned my car off and on, to get a little heat, and to not completely discharge my battery listening to the satellite radio. I probably looked infinitely more out of place than a guy in his own garage. Of course I'm white, so not only did no cop get called to come out to investigate me, if one had I doubt very much he would have drawn a firearm and yelled at me.

I truly believe the day will come when being a police officer becomes as dangerous as they like to claim it is, because at some point, black men are going to weigh the odds and start figuring shooting the cop before he gets shot by the cop will increase his odds of living slightly longer. And when it becomes that dangerous the police will be 100% at fault and I will care only so far as the indiscriminate discharge of firearms is dangerous in itself, and there is always a chance an innocent life may be put in danger.

Comment

Working...
                                X