This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Actually it doesn't have to be over criminally. A prosecutor can still bring charges. They won't but they can.

Poor Chuckles...his insults always sound better in the original Russian.
    True, but in practice, it won't happen.
    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Yeah something pretty crazy would have to happen...
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah something pretty crazy would have to happen...
        All you need is "new evidence," right? And that could be anything.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

All you need is "new evidence," right? And that could be anything.
          You dont even need that...but to go against a GJ is a pretty hard sell. I mean I would think the defense would be able to use the failed indictment to create reasonable doubt.

But I am hardly an expert...nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• To me it would seem that an important question as to whether anything is likely to come of it is what was the vote? I think they need 9 of 12 jurors in Kentucky to return an indictment. Is this juror who filed the lawsuit one of eight in favor of an indictment, or is this a lone juror, or maybe one of two, who wanted to indict?

I'm not a huge fan of the lawsuit. It smacks of someone bitter that they weren't able to persuade their fellow jurors to the juror's way of thinking, so now he or she wants to basically publicly ridicule the GJ. What other reason is there?

If we start going down the road of trying to overturn jury decisions through public pressure, that is not ideal.

Locally there is always going to be problems prosecuting cops. Let the feds do it here.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Still, pretty hard for a grand jury to consider murder, or even manslaughter charges, if the prosecutor doesn't even present those charges to them.

What was the only charge he brought before them to consider, reckless endangerment?

And that's how cops get off scot-free.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• You should read the whole complaint...you could not be more wrong. (imho) It has nothing to do with the outcome and it has everything to do with Cameron blaming the whole thing on the GJ. The Grand Juror wants to set the record straight so the people know what the GJ heard. Doesn't mention the outcome at all. (and to be fair it isnt a lawsuit it is a motion)

I guess I dont see the problem with the transcript being released if everything is above board. The Courts have every right to release the information to the public and in a case like this transparency is huge.

And apparently the AG agrees cause it is being released.
                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  Still, pretty hard for a grand jury to consider murder, or even manslaughter charges, if the prosecutor doesn't even present those charges to them.

What was the only charge he brought before them to consider, reckless endangerment?

And that's how cops get off scot-free.
                  I asked my dad about it and he said if the DA wanted to tank it without tanking it best bet would be present for the top count (Murder 1) which would be really hard to prove based on the evidence. Since I am guessing the Taylor's want that it placates them while putting the indictment in doubt. Unless the GJ asked about lesser charges they likely wouldnt consider them or vote for them. (obviously this is a hypothetical)
                  -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I asked my dad about it and he said if the DA wanted to tank it without tanking it best bet would be present for the top count (Murder 1) which would be really hard to prove based on the evidence. Since I am guessing the Taylor's want that it placates them while putting the indictment in doubt. Unless the GJ asked about lesser charges they likely wouldnt consider them or vote for them. (obviously this is a hypothetical)
                    I heard on a news report this afternoon though, that the prosecutor, or AG, or whatever he is, Cameron, said that the only charge he brought to the grand jury, was reckless endangerment, or whatever the formal wording of it was. Not sure if that's completely true or not, but that's what the news said.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

You should read the whole complaint...you could not be more wrong. (imho) It has nothing to do with the outcome and it has everything to do with Cameron blaming the whole thing on the GJ. The Grand Juror wants to set the record straight so the people know what the GJ heard. Doesn't mention the outcome at all. (and to be fair it isnt a lawsuit it is a motion)

I guess I dont see the problem with the transcript being released if everything is above board. The Courts have every right to release the information to the public and in a case like this transparency is huge.

And apparently the AG agrees cause it is being released.
                      Whenever they say it's not about the outcome, it's about the outcome.

The juror is unhappy that the jury that he/she is a part of is being vilified, and blames the prosecutor for that. The juror wants to shift blame back to the prosecutor.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Actually it doesn't have to be over criminally. A prosecutor can still bring charges. They won't but they can.
                        Actually, that's the first accurate thing I've seen posted on here from you folks in quite awhile.

It would require new evidence, of course - not a rehash of old evidence. But kudos to you.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The juror is unhappy that the jury that he/she is a part of is being vilified, and blames the prosecutor for that. The juror wants to shift blame back to the prosecutor.
                          Bingo.

And credit where credit is due, Handyman's dad nailed it as well.

I asked my dad about it and he said if the DA wanted to tank it without tanking it best bet would be present for the top count (Murder 1) which would be really hard to prove based on the evidence. Since I am guessing the Taylor's want that it placates them while putting the indictment in doubt. Unless the GJ asked about lesser charges they likely wouldn't consider them or vote for them.

Comment

• And to tie things off with a neat legal bow ... if you extend Handyman's dad's analysis over to the Chauvin/Floyd case, and understand that a grand jury (or down the line an actual trial jury) is going to see everything and know everything about the actions of the officers AND Mr. Floyd, it is not a huge stretch to envision a similar outcome there. I shared the extended video on the whole incident a few pages ago - you can still find it on the Daily Mail website if you're intellectually curious, and not just a "white cops bad" kind of guy (so rufus, you're out), and it is an eye-opener.

These "confusing" outcomes usually happen for one reason, and one reason only - the media only gives you the part of the story that fits their narrative of the day/week/year. They make you dig for the rest. So everyone gets riled up, burns down the town ... and then they find out later that what actually happened is not exactly the same thing that they've been reading.

So, you folks can continue mindlessly chasing after parked cars with predictable results ... or keep an open mind. As they say, fool me once, shame on you, but fool me twice ...

Comment

• AG now says no homicide charges were presented

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Which is where it should be. The prosecutor didnt present homicide but the AG said the GJ heard all the relevant info and chose not to charge homicide. They tanked it. The AG threw the GJ under the bus on national TV they should be able to respond to that.

I am still not seeing what the problem here is. This was not some undercover CIA action or putting National Security in jeopardy. The AG made it a public issue with his PC and the Grand Juror called him out for it because they feel they are being railroaded to forward a political agenda.

Seriously read the complaint you might understand it better.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X