Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I see that the most vocal advocates for "defunding" the police on the Minneapolis City Council have spent more than $60,000 of City cash to pay for private armed security for themselves the past couple of weeks. Seems about right.

I never thought that group, collectively, had even the intelligence of a ten cent popcorn fart, but now I'm wondering where I came up with the other nickel.
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• You know when that story broke I wondered why that was such a big deal. I still do. How does paying for security change the point of defunding the police? This ranks up there with your "social workers" BS when people get killed. It is the straw man of all straw men which is why it does every time someone tries it. Like when the Right Wing Twitter mocks cops being called to Defund Cop protests because people are getting violent.

But, I will give you the benefit of the doubt...what is your point exactly? Explain in detail please. And before you do maybe do research into what "Defund the Cops" really means. Then do research on how many of the calls cops get in a given year are for violent actions and how disproportionate it is.

(hint: if you say something along the lines of "If we dont need cops why do they need security" you are doing it wrong)
      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Duh. You know if those people werent paying for private security, they'd be protected by police details 24-7.

Wouldn't cost the city a penny.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          You know when that story broke I wondered why that was such a big deal. I still do. How does paying for security change the point of defunding the police? This ranks up there with your "social workers" BS when people get killed. It is the straw man of all straw men which is why it does every time someone tries it. Like when the Right Wing Twitter mocks cops being called to Defund Cop protests because people are getting violent.

But, I will give you the benefit of the doubt...what is your point exactly? Explain in detail please. And before you do maybe do research into what "Defund the Cops" really means. Then do research on how many of the calls cops get in a given year are for violent actions and how disproportionate it is.

(hint: if you say something along the lines of "If we dont need cops why do they need security" you are doing it wrong)
          The 17.5 hours a day you spend trolling twitter has turned your mind to mush.

They are about to engage in a battle to try to adopt their version of whatever "defund the police" is by putting it to a vote of the citizenry. The reaction of those who are most skeptical about any sort of reduction in, elimination of or "defunding of" the police will be primarily based upon concerns over safety. But, of course, the proponents aren't really concerned about safety issues since they have their own personal police force at their beck and call.

You don't see any "optics" problem with that?
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

The 17.5 hours a day you spend trolling twitter has turned your mind to mush.

They are about to engage in a battle to try to adopt their version of whatever "defund the police" is by putting it to a vote of the citizenry. The reaction of those who are most skeptical about any sort of reduction in, elimination of or "defunding of" the police will be primarily based upon concerns over safety. But, of course, the proponents aren't really concerned about safety issues since they have their own personal police force at their beck and call.

You don't see any "optics" problem with that?

Handy, I've got to agree with Hovey on this. A.) As Rufus just said, the city is already paying for an armed police force. Now, I certainly understand why the councilors might think it would be a bit challenging getting any officers to agree to that type of detail but... B.) As Hovey stated, this is even more about the optics. Regardless of what the council's vision of "defunding the police" actually involves, the average "rube" envisions that as the council either greatly reducing or eliminating completely armed police. And, the push back from those that disagree is that there are situations where peopled trained in the use of appropriate tactics, including the proper use of firearms, will be needed. Yet, the councilors -- because of threats to their personal safety -- have now hired armed security. I'm not sure exactly who is providing the security but, if it isn't some other law enforcement agency -- state troopers, sheriff, U.S. Marshalls -- but rather some private firm, the hypocrisy is bordering on Trump levels for cripes sake.

Comment

• Originally posted by net presence View Post

Handy, I've got to agree with Hovey on this. A.) As Rufus just said, the city is already paying for an armed police force. Now, I certainly understand why the councilors might think it would be a bit challenging getting any officers to agree to that type of detail but... B.) As Hovey stated, this is even more about the optics. Regardless of what the council's vision of "defunding the police" actually involves, the average "rube" envisions that as the council either greatly reducing or eliminating completely armed police. And, the push back from those that disagree is that there are situations where peopled trained in the use of appropriate tactics, including the proper use of firearms, will be needed. Yet, the councilors -- because of threats to their personal safety -- have now hired armed security. I'm not sure exactly who is providing the security but, if it isn't some other law enforcement agency -- state troopers, sheriff, U.S. Marshalls -- but rather some private firm, the hypocrisy is bordering on Trump levels for cripes sake.
              It's two private firms. Aegis, I think is one, and I forget the name of the other.

Comment

Firstly, nothing is Dump-level hypocrisy except the GOP.

Secondly, It's only hypocritical if the council favors eliminating the police force entirely. If they propose replacing and reforming the police it is not hypocritical at all. It indicates that this incarnation of the cops cannot be trusted, and that is the problem.

If I were in MPS I would not trust the cops either until they are De-Nazified.

The right is conflating law enforcement with these cops. But the issue is these cops aren't doing law enforcement, they're doing Klan level racial violence. Reforming this force is not attacking rule of law; it's restoring it.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-30-2020, 04:51 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Except the average rube doesn't care. The only ones who do are the people who think defund = no cops period and they are unreachable. Hovey is smarter than that he is just letting his snark get in the way.

They don't trust MPD to protect them so they went another way. That isn't hypocrisy that is voting with your wallet. By your logic no company should ever have private security either.

The optics are we would rather pay for something better.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Except the average rube doesn't care. The only ones who do are the people who think defund = no cops period and they are unreachable. Hovey is smarter than that he is just letting his snark get in the way.
                    You really think that?

What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Yes I do believe that.
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• The cruelty is the point.

A police department in Colorado is investigating three officers who were allegedly photographed reenacting the chokehold maneuver cops used on Elijah McClain near a memorial for him, a report said Monday.

The officers allegedly took the photos near where McClain was stopped and detained by Aurora Police soon before his death in 2019, CBS Denver reported, citing sources familiar with the investigation.

The photos of the cops allegedly spread around the Aurora Police Department before the internal investigations department caught wind of them and started a probe.
                        Cornell University
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Hey Republicans how's that outreach goin'?

In a morning Twitter rant, Trump tossed red meat to blue-uniform sympathizers and white supremacists, saying the move to cut the NYPD budget was made worse by an unrelated decision to paint the words “Black Lives Matter” along Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, which he said would denigrate “this luxury Avenue.”

In tweets, the President called the installation of a street painting reading “Black Lives Matter” — a phrase associated with a movement of the same name — “a symbol of hate.”
                          Cornell University

Comment

• https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1278383267826335746

"Florida sheriff vows to make every gun owner a deputy if his office can't handle protestors"

Apparently someone has seen Young Guns too many times...
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/1278383267826335746

"Florida sheriff vows to make every gun owner a deputy if his office can't handle protestors"

Apparently someone has seen Young Guns too many times...
                              The cops want a war. In fact some of them are begging for it.

Comment

• Another Hero

A police officer in Miami is facing discipline after punching a woman in the face in an episode that was recorded on body camera footage, according to Alfredo Ramirez, the director of the Miami-Dade Police Department.

Mr. Ramirez appeared to be referring to a video circulated on Twitter by Billy Corben, a filmmaker, that showed a woman arguing with two officers at what Mr. Corben said was Miami International Airport on Wednesday. The woman stood inches away from one of the officers before he punched her forcefully on her left cheek, sending her hurtling backward.

He then pushed her to the ground as officers converged on her, and one can be seen getting out his handcuffs.

“She head-butted me,” one officer can be heard saying, though the video does not show a head-butt.
                                I watched the video...headbutt my ***.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X