This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

As someone who joined this board as a born and raised Republican, I found it incredibly uninteresting to join the political threads. I didn't know enough about my position to defend it.
    I would think that would make it more interesting, provided you were interested in politics.

Example: there's an open wheel thread here. I don't post because I just don't know or care about racing. I wouldn't call it boring -- I'd just call it irrelevant to me, and me to it. I'd have nothing to add and I am not looking for the information.

OTOH, if somebody started a thread about, I dunno, 8th century metaphysics, I'd be captivated. I have literally no idea about 8th century metaphysics except I suppose it's about 400 years before Duns Scotus, but I'd be all over it like a cop on an innocent unarmed black man.

I think as a rule if people have strong feelings about something they want to learn more about it, or at least argue about why they're right and everybody else can eat a bag of d-cks. That seems like fundamental psychology to me: what one holds close one wants to share, or at least wield.

But this may just be because I am of a certain personality type (obnoxious and disliked) and many people want those things they hold most dearly to be locked away without criticism or comment. I understand that kind of privacy when it comes to the sublime. I would never discuss important family stuff here. But ideas, for me, are an orgy and a combat.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Just out of curiosity, what exactly should I "change my mind" about?
      The hockey team you support?

Comment

• If you're "conservative" on this site, but not fully confident in engaging in a discussion about why you believe certain things, it can be pretty difficult. You're constantly feeling like you need to defend your position, while generally oblivious to the reasons you're a racist/ sexist.

You eventually lose interest in visiting threads that are a reminder of how your position doesn't vibe with the majority here.

Some people have a variety of reasons for sticking around to defend their positions (Hovey), some disappear at convenient times where they don't want to defend their positions (Sicatoka) and some disappear completely for a while when they feel like it's not worth it (myself).

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

That's his best attribute!
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post

See, now a lot of people would say that's one of the truly great decisions I've made.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Get back to cops:

https://twitter.com/kare11/status/1276458935113916417

MINNEAPOLIS — The Minneapolis City Council voted 12-0 Friday to pass an ordinance that pushes forward a measure to delete the term “police department” from the city charter in favor of a “department of community safety and violence prevention.”

Five city council members, including president Lisa Bender, have signed their names as authors. The new public safety department would focus on a “holistic, public-health oriented approach,” although it would still allow for a “law enforcement services” division that would include licensed peace officers.

The head of the Community Safety and Violence Prevention would need “non-law enforcement experience in community safety services,” who would then appoint a separate director of the law enforcement services division.

Friday's vote suspends normal rules to change the Minneapolis city charter, putting the measure on a fast track to the council's charter committee in hopes of getting it on the November ballot. If ultimately approved under the charter commission process and then by city residents, it would replace the existing Minneapolis Police Department with a public safety system accountable to both the mayor and the city council.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• This is how every city should operate. Take the evictions, homeless, and similar off the plates of officers. Allow them to handle violent offenders, but with a force that focuses on deescalation over pulling their guns.

We all agree there are going to be situations where an officer needs to use their weapon. But we should all agree that many situations escalate because of a uniformed officer on presence.

I'm a white male in Germany and i get super nervous if the police approach, even knowing I've done nothing wrong. I've also had pet control approach about my dog and much less stressfu .

Comment

See, now a lot of people would say that's one of the truly great decisions I've made.
                  "People" is subjective in this instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

"People" is subjective in this instance.
                    I was trying to keep it light and friendly.

Everyone knows you don't choose University of North Dakota hockey. It chooses you.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Everyone knows you don't choose University of North Dakota hockey. It chooses you.
                      This is true. They notified me saying they need another immature hick who was primarily interested in sports and partying.

Comment

: )

Comment

• https://twitter.com/eastfeed/status/1276326723995471873

Honestly...**** the police.

Oh and she apparently miscarried because of this. I wont hold my breathe that the right to Lifers will care.

Seriously how dumb are these mother*******?

(be warned it is awful)
                          Last edited by Handyman; 06-28-2020, 03:01 AM.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• https://twitter.com/jessiedesigngal/...26019246260224

Antifa Violinists need to be stopped!

Seriously you put cops in full riot gear for a violin vigil...

read the whole thread this crap is ridiculous.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post
                              This is how every city should operate. Take the evictions, homeless, and similar off the plates of officers. Allow them to handle violent offenders, but with a force that focuses on deescalation over pulling their guns.

We all agree there are going to be situations where an officer needs to use their weapon. But we should all agree that many situations escalate because of a uniformed officer on presence.
                              This. So much this. There are plenty of things that police departments have been saddled with that shouldn't be in their hands.

Side note, I actually appreciate your posts cF. We may disagree politically, but I've always respected your posts. I'm glad when you do contribute, because at least you don't conveniently duck out like Sic does when things (that he's specifically said wouldn't go sideways) go sideways.
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                https://twitter.com/jessiedesigngal/...26019246260224

Antifa Violinists need to be stopped!

Seriously you put cops in full riot gear for a violin vigil...

read the whole thread this crap is ridiculous.
                                It's incredible. It's storm troopers murdering a child and then goose stepping through a peaceful violin protest and breaking it up. It's like a parody of a police state.

Abolish the cops.

Abolish the right.

These are Nazis. Americans will never be safe until they are removed from all power.
                                Last edited by Kepler; 06-28-2020, 03:58 PM.
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X