This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Thao is like the name Johnson or Smith. The Hmong people have a relatively limited number of surnames, so you will see a lot of repetition. My Hmong coworker told me that when I asked about two coworkers with the last name Nguyen (pronounced like the English Wynn).
    I remember the Pig Book from my freshman year had about 60 "Ng"s in it. I assumed it was some sort of DB merge error.

At some points Ng became Nguyen, like Peking became Beijing.

Last edited by Kepler; 06-23-2020, 09:44 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I remember the Pig Book from my freshman year had about 60 "Ng"s in it. I assumed it was some sort of DB merge error.

At some points Ng became Nguyen, like Peking became Beijing.
      A number of my coworkers, I've since learned, have the last name Ng, too. The name is pronounced by basically saying each letter separately, for those curious. At least it is by the people in my office.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

A number of my coworkers, I've since learned, have the last name Ng, too. The name is pronounced by basically saying each letter separately, for those curious. At least it is by the people in my office.
        Oh, it's different from Nguyen? I know that is "Wynn" and assumed Ng was too. But you're saying it is "En Gee"?

I found this on quora:

The Vietnamese name “Nguyen” begins with the sound represented by /ng/. (It is called ingma.) This sound never occurs at the beginning of a word in English, so it is difficult for English speakers to produce it in that position.

In Vietnamese the name is pronounced something like “ngwin.” Americans can’t say that easily. Back during the war, American newscasters pronounced the name of South Vietnam’s prime minister Nguyen Cao Ky as “NOO-yen,” as if the /g/ weren’t there. (A French-Vietnamese actress who was popular in the 1960s even changed the spelling of her name to “Nuyen.”)

It seems that today, where I live in California, Americans sometimes pronounce the name as “win” (like the English surname “Wynn”), because they don’t really hear the initial ingma sound.

The Chinese name “Ng” is pronounced here, among English speakers, as if it were spelled “Ing.” But on a visit to China I met a woman from Hong Kong who had the name. The way she pronounced it, there was no vowel. She explained to me how to say it. As I understood it, her name is pronounced by saying the sounds of /m/ and /ng/ simultaneously. The other Chinese speakers there also pronounced her name with no vowel.

Both Vietnamese and Chinese are tonal languages. I have no idea how tones figure into the pronunciation of the names in the original languages. English speakers would ignore the tones, and use English intonations.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Oh, it's different from Nguyen? I know that is "Wynn" and assumed Ng was too. But you're saying it is "En Gee"?

I found this on quora:
          I do believe that the Hmong, Vietnamese and Chinese immigrants to the US have simply bowed to our inability to speak their languages, and just adopted the Anglo pronunciations for the sake of ease. The info I put here I originally sourced from a Hmong coworker sitting next to me.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Antifa dust!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/downsandd...53598457262081

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Twas ever thus with the weakminded.

Cornell University

Comment

That reminds me I need to get my car washed because it's covered in Antifa dust...
                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                Originally posted by Quizmire
                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

From the same people who thought Antifa buses were coming to their small town.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Another principled conservative.

SARASOTA, Fla. — Sheriff's officials have arrested a 22-year-old Florida man after several threatening social media messages targeting Black Lives Matter demonstrations.

An arrest affidavit says Adkins threatened to attend a demonstration and shoot everyone.

The sheriff's office said several videos showed Adkins in a car pointing guns at passing cars.
                    Dump should campaign with him.
                    Cornell University

Comment

• Another day, another hero in blue

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...gka4neQAxz9FiI

Comment

Sotto voce: Abolish the cops.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• If you go into the comments there is more to the story:

ST. JOSEPH, Mo. (WDAF) — A Missouri police officer is off the streets after a video shows him swearing at and threatening a man while he was off duty.
                          “I’m not working right now. I’m on vacation. I will ******* you up. Sit down,” officer Brandon Harrison said in the video.

Summer Bohon recorded the video June 17 as the officer yelled at her fiancé, Max McLeod.
                          “I’m recording this,” Bohon said in the video.

Harrison continued yelling at McLeod, saying, “Tell that to a judge. See who they ********g believe, b****.”

“Out of control, just out of control,” McLeod said, describing Harrison.

Initially, Bohon and McLeod called police to file a report about a hit-and-run.
                          They said a truck hit their car and took off the mirror at a local convenience store. The shop is just two minutes from their house, where they made the call.

Police showed up. Then, so did Harrison, who wasn’t in uniform.

“He tried to say that we hit his truck,” McLeod said, “and in all reality, it wasn’t his truck. It was a first (generation) Dodge that hit our car.”

Harrison can be heard in the video saying, “You don’t ********n’ lie to her about that b******t,” referring to the officer called to the scene. “I just watched you hit me.”

“That wasn’t his truck, so it just really confused me,” Bohon said.
                          They don’t know why Harrison was there. They said his actions made them feel unsafe by someone they expect to protect and serve — on or off duty.
                          “He said that he was going to ‘f’ him up. He said to, ‘Take it to court, b****, and see who they believe,'” Bohon said. “He was acting as if he had more power, no matter what happened, even if he was in the wrong, like he could hide under his badge.”

The pair wonders why the officer, who responded to help, didn’t step in.

Police posted a statement on Facebook, saying in part, “Unbecoming conduct on the part of police officers adversely affects the operations of the department and ultimately destroys public confidence in it.”

“He was spitting in my face because he was so close, threatening to beat me up,” McLead said. “I just sat down and kind of kept my cool.”

Police continue to investigate the incident. Harrison will remain on “administrative duty” pending the investigation, according to police.
                          The Hill is getting real bad these days. Between constantly showing the Trump Campaign Propaganda videos to telling half the story to tick people off I am considering just blocking them for now.

And the female cop in that video should be suspended without pay. She should have put a stop to the steroid tirade right the **** away but she stood there grinning like an idiot. If "good cops" wont stop the bad ones then they too are bad.
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                            If you go into the comments there is more to the story:

The Hill is getting real bad these days. Between constantly showing the Trump Campaign Propaganda videos to telling half the story to tick people off I am considering just blocking them for now.

And the female cop in that video should be suspended without pay. She should have put a stop to the steroid tirade right the **** away but she stood there grinning like an idiot. If "good cops" wont stop the bad ones then they too are bad.
                            Don't worry, Rube (who randomly disappeared) tells us it's only a few bad apples in the hundreds of instances in the past weeks of police brutality.

Comment

• Originally posted by cF[Authentic] View Post

Don't worry, Rube (who randomly disappeared) tells us it's only a few bad apples in the hundreds of instances in the past weeks of police brutality.
                              He's probably up in the UP at his gathering of covidiots. But they're all being extremely safe. Following the rules.
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post

He's probably up in the UP at his gathering of covidiots. But they're all being extremely safe. Following the rules.
                                That's not for another month. He's not a fan of the new layout. That's the only reason.

Minnesota State Trooper accused of texting nude photos of driver to himself.

https://www.startribune.com/trooper-...H5isg3-YMPJ7Kw
                                Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                                Originally posted by Quizmire
                                mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                                MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                                MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                                I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Working...
                                X