Cops: No Snarky Nor Positive Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post

I don’t think anyone wants to completely get rid of the police, it’s more that they want the police to solve serious crimes and leave people alone otherwise. Never in a million years should someone get killed because they are passed out in their car at a fast food place.
    The Cops didn’t open his door and shoot him.

They arrived, he woke up, failed a sobriety test and everything was peaceful to that point. They were in the process of arresting him and he started to fight. Then he got his hands on their taser and tried to use it in the Cop.

No one says he “deserved” to die.

create that scenario many times, fighting Cop(s) and there is bound to be incidents that don’t end well.

Don’t drink and drive and if you do face the consequences and none of this ever happens.

Comment

• Nobody wants to get rid of the police completely, though it might not be a bad idea.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Uncle Tim.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I don’t think anyone wants to completely get rid of the police, it’s more that they want the police to solve serious crimes and leave people alone otherwise. Never in a million years should someone get killed because they are passed out in their car at a fast food place.
          Drew gets it.

"Lets fund social workers, therapists, counselors, dog catchers, etc. better instead of making our police officers do everything. This will allow our police to actually police," doesn't fit on a bumper sticker.

"Defund The Police" does.
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Bingo. There is no way to train cops how to do everything they are asked to do nor are they needed to do it. There is no reason why an armed cop is needed to show up at probably 3/4 of the calls they get. There is no amount of training that can fix the issue.

That is why hovey you sound like an idiot when you make jokes about Social Workers making the run to deal with the people shot. No one is remotely suggesting that. They are suggesting though if 9-1-1 is called because someone with Schizophrenia is having an episode someone who is trained to deal with them will be dispatched instead of cops who have no idea how to deal with the situation and is just going to lead to trouble. It isnt fair to the person or the cops and there is no amount of training they can do that will change that. They are trained to see people as threats and we have seen how that plays out. (if you want ask my gf some time...her brother was a Schizophrenic and she has spent 15 years teaching kids with mental impairments like that)

This is not a training fixable problem out there. Because politicians (we wont say who) feel the need to cut every social safety net there is cops are asked to handle literally everything. They arent equipped to handle that and no matter how much money, training and additions you add to the force they never will be. So let the cops deal with serious crimes and let other types of experts deal with other scenarios.

You dont defund or deconstruct the cops to get rid of them in every capacity, you do it so you can make a better system. If someone trained in social work had been sent to Cup Foods instead of armed cops on a power trip we arent still having protests around the world cause George Floyd is alive.
            Last edited by Handyman; 06-14-2020, 10:27 PM.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post

Drew gets it.

"Lets fund social workers, therapists, counselors, dog catchers, etc. better instead of making our police officers do everything. This will allow our police to actually police," doesn't fit on a bumper sticker.

"Defund The Police" does.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• What is sad and frightening is Hovey seems like a reasonably intelligent person, and yet he has bought the cop propaganda hook, line, and sinker. He buys all that "thin blue line" garbage, and all the garbage out there that more cops, or better trained cops, or weeding out the handful of bad apple cops, well that's all we need. He wants you to believe he is actually concerned because he probably feels like George Floyd was murdered by one of the handful of bad cops. And sure, those other 3 who watched (or helped) were just sort of bad apples too and yes they should have been fired.

I too have said before that despite my absolute disgust with cops everywhere and how basically useless they are as currently deployed, even I don't say we should be abolishing police departments in their entirety. But that is typical of Hovey and the rest of the right wing in this country, nuance is lost and there has never been a red herring they couldn't catch and most difficult concepts go over their heads. Most of them simply can't wrap their heads around how fvcking wrong they have been about cops for a long time now, and the rest actively encourage the police to simply act as another wing of the KKK and terrorize people of color or any other marginalized groups. It is fvcking terrorism what the police have been dishing out in every state in the country.

Well enjoy getting your jollies out over all the macho bull5h!t the cops have been pulling for decades, it looks like there's a chance a change may be coming.

Comment

• IINM Hovey is a former cop. He was always 99% likely to see this from the POV of cops. Very few people can step back and look dispassionately at their own experiences. They are, after all, their experiences. They were there. All the normal cognitive biases are operating, and on top of them everybody firmly believes they can compensate for those biases.

Think of it like this. Other than actual avowed white supremacists, all white people think they have a handle on racism and think they aren't more than a shade racist. However, the majority of white people are very racist and a substantial percentage of white people are OFF THE CHARTS racist. Yet if you asked us we would all say "I'm racist in that it's a virtually unavoidable part of growing up in a racist society but I try really hard to be better than that and mostly I think I succeed." Every white thinks this, even (especially) Republicans.

Cops are no different about having exaggerated ideas about themselves. And now on top of that add in that white esprit de corps is minimal or even frowned upon while cop esprit de corps is maximal and highly encouraged. That siege mentality means cops have enormous incentive to see themselves as not blameworthy. Soldiers who commit or condone atrocities are the same. Hovey's not a jerk, he's just a human being who comes out of a particular POV-forging experience which most of us don't share. Something something cast the first stone something.

Last edited by Kepler; 06-15-2020, 12:59 AM.
                  Cornell University

Comment

• I don't remember Hovey ever saying he had anything to do with policin .
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      I don't remember Hovey ever saying he had anything to do with policin .
                      I could be smoking crack; I thought he was a police veteran.

If not then please disregard. I have certainly been reading his stuff for years under the impression that he is a retired police officer from Canada. Any of this ringing a bell with somebody else maybe?
                      Cornell University

Comment

• I think you're thinking of SteveP...he was a Toronto cop IIRC...
                        Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                        Originally posted by Quizmire
                        mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                        MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                        MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                        I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

• Someone has to post it

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                          Groucho Marx
                          "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                          Ron White
                          "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                          Milo Bloom

Comment

• https://***********/AttorneyCrump/st...346348032?s=20

NEW VIDEO OF #GEORGEFLOYD’S MURDER! Beyond disturbing, even harder to watch than the 1st video. “You’re going to let him kill that man in front of you?” Thao stood guard as Chauvin KILLED George ... while bystanders tried to save his life (Full video: https://instagram.com/tv/CBa3UXqhim4/?igshid=13wfs3pu2gg4j…)

Comment

• That's disgusting. We're consistently seeing during these protests that it's not just one or two bad apples.

https://***********/RexChapman/statu...364979716?s=20

This is 100% on the front officer being a dick and then everyone just ready to jump the guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Six people shot in a dispute in a bar in Minneapolis early this morning. I assume the social workers have been deployed.
                                Seek help. Until then, GFY.

Comment

Working...
                                X