Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cops: No Snarky Nor Positive Title

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

    A nuanced post on law enforcement from WANDH? *gasp* Have Dark Brandon's speeches been lulling you down the path of sleepy radical centrism!?! ;-)
    Don't worry, I'm sure that soon I'll be back to wanting them all shipped to Saturn. ;-)

    Leave a comment:


  • FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    The only way to save policing and law enforcement in this country will be for those of us who are open minded to make the same concerted effort that the right wing and fascists have made over the last 40 years to take it over.

    White nationalists and white supremacists had been making that concerted effort to "legitimize" themselves by infiltating law enforcement. It wasn't necessarily like this a generation and more ago. Yes, there have always been problems with policing and law enforcement when it came to racism and profiling, but when I was a younger person (from my teenage years through my young adulthood) I was close to a lot of people in law enforcement.

    Neighbors were cops. Family friends and friends of my parents were cops. One of my dad's best golfing buddies was a chief-of-police in a Michigan town. One of my best friends throughout high school and I both considered a career at one time in law enforcement (which boggles the mind of anyone who knows me well now) and my first foray into post-secondary education was as a criminal justice major. My friend ended up going into the profession and was one of the good cops out there we all wish were the norm.

    ...

    It's a shame really, because as much as I rag on law enforcement, it isn't as if we do not need it in our society. But what we need and what we have are nearly polar opposites. And one of the by-products of the downfall of good, efficient policing is more and more people feeling the need to arm themselves, since the police are actually terrible at doing the jobs they SHOULD be doing.
    A nuanced post on law enforcement from WANDH? *gasp* Have Dark Brandon's speeches been lulling you down the path of sleepy radical centrism!?! ;-)

    So you're saying that "Defund the Police" is actually a neat slogan that reflects a good first step towards forcing recalcitrant police/FOP leadership to make a serious effort to transform and modernize American policing? 'Cause the righties all think it means we're gonna shut every precinct down and let criminals run amok. /sarc

    Leave a comment:


  • WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

    This is what happens when 90% of your applicant pool are flunkies and/or fascists (the other 10% are do-gooders with "I Can Fix Them" Syndrome). Very few people with any shred of intelligence, integrity, and/or empathy wants to be a cop, and deal with the institutionalized biases that run rampant throughout American policework.
    The only way to save policing and law enforcement in this country will be for those of us who are open minded to make the same concerted effort that the right wing and fascists have made over the last 40 years to take it over.

    White nationalists and white supremacists had been making that concerted effort to "legitimize" themselves by infiltating law enforcement. It wasn't necessarily like this a generation and more ago. Yes, there have always been problems with policing and law enforcement when it came to racism and profiling, but when I was a younger person (from my teenage years through my young adulthood) I was close to a lot of people in law enforcement.

    Neighbors were cops. Family friends and friends of my parents were cops. One of my dad's best golfing buddies was a chief-of-police in a Michigan town. One of my best friends throughout high school and I both considered a career at one time in law enforcement (which boggles the mind of anyone who knows me well now) and my first foray into post-secondary education was as a criminal justice major. My friend ended up going into the profession and was one of the good cops out there we all wish were the norm.

    Things were probably already changing in the 1980s, and certainly as our politics began to get really ugly during the Clinton years things changed more. 9-11 took that up about 250 notches when we began to reflexively kowtow to all things law enforcement and local police forces began to really militarize themselves. And all during this time white supremacists and nationalists were filling out more and more applications to become law enforcement officers.

    We didn't do (and still don't do) nearly enough oversight on who becomes a cop, and instead of weeding out the 90% who are unfit, the morally unfit have actually begun to overwhelm departments to the point that, as Fade notes, no one with the actual combination of intelligence, integrity and empathy it takes to be an exceptional cop will touch that profession with a ten-foot pole.

    It's a shame really, because as much as I rag on law enforcement, it isn't as if we do not need it in our society. But what we need and what we have are nearly polar opposites. And one of the by-products of the downfall of good, efficient policing is more and more people feeling the need to arm themselves, since the police are actually terrible at doing the jobs they SHOULD be doing.

    Now then, back to browsing... how much does Cabelas want for a new Sig Sauer P365...

    Leave a comment:


  • Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post

    This is what happens when 90% of your applicant pool are flunkies and/or fascists (the other 10% are do-gooders with "I Can Fix Them" Syndrome). Very few people with any shred of intelligence, integrity, and/or empathy wants to be a cop, and deal with the institutionalized biases that run rampant throughout American policework.
    cf. Military, pastoral.

    The professions with the most opportunity to ruin people's lives are all dominated by authoritarians.


    Last edited by Kepler; 08-21-2023, 01:21 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • FadeToBlack&Gold
    replied
    Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
    To serve and protect indeed. Karma needs to take a giant 5h!t on all of those cops.
    This is what happens when 90% of your applicant pool are flunkies and/or fascists (the other 10% are do-gooders with "I Can Fix Them" Syndrome). Very few people with any shred of intelligence, integrity, and/or empathy wants to be a cop, and deal with the institutionalized biases that run rampant throughout American policework.

    Leave a comment:


  • WeAreNDHockey
    replied
    To serve and protect indeed. Karma needs to take a giant 5h!t on all of those cops.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Taking out the garbage while black.

    Now I'd be curious hear how long they detained him for and if there was an actual suspect of car thefts in his area.
    They'll arrest him for wasting taxpayer money by being falsely arrested.

    Slavery never ended.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slap Shot
    replied
    Taking out the garbage while black.

    Now I'd be curious hear how long they detained him for and if there was an actual suspect of car thefts in his area.

    Leave a comment:


  • SonofSouthie
    replied
    And then there's this moron; a Boston cop on City Hall Plaza.

    https://***********/CallMeNAP33/stat...73456730882048

    Don't know why it came up like that.

    Here's the article with the link.

    https://www.boston.com/news/off-beat...l-plaza-slide/
    Last edited by SonofSouthie; 08-05-2023, 07:15 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kepler
    replied
    Never Hire Conservatives.

    They're inept, incurious, lazy, and they will cost you a fortune in litigation.

    They have a negative expected value for your company. Hire liberals and Leftists. We're smart and interesting, we create value, and we don't assault people as overcompensation for the cowardly failure of our lives.

    Last edited by Kepler; 08-03-2023, 03:29 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • SonofSouthie
    replied
    Another 'one bad apple'.

    Hull police officer charged after alleged assault of 72-year-old neighbor caught on video.

    https://www.boston.com/news/crime/20...?p1=hp_primary



    Leave a comment:


  • Kepler
    replied
    Nuke the South.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by unofan View Post

    You're right, it could be. But it isn't, and won't be because this isn't about reasonableness, it's about curtailing all filming of cops.
    If that's true and the law would be able to prevent filming from within your car then it's a bad law and I'm fine with it being stricken.

    Leave a comment:


  • unofan
    replied
    Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

    From within your car if you're the involved party could easily be written in as exempt,
    You're right, it could be. But it isn't, and won't be because this isn't about reasonableness, it's about curtailing all filming of cops.

    Leave a comment:


  • Slap Shot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bronco View Post

    You are making a law that will dole out some form of punishment for people filming cops. If it is a distance then the bad cop simply moves closer to the photographer and they get in trouble. It will certainly happen. What if the cop is breaking the law in a room smaller than eight feet? Do they just not get filmed? Carte blanche to do whatever they want in small rooms doesn't sound like the way to go.

    I do understand what you are saying. If people are getting in the way of legitimate police action, then they too should be ruled as obstructing justice.
    No. The punishment would not be for filming - it would be for filming too closely. A speeding ticket isn't for driving fast it's for driving too fast. Stay 8 feet away and film to your heart's content. And again laws like this already existed in some states and I've not heard of any abuse on the part of the police regarding them. Now it probably has happened, but that's not a de facto reason to not have such a law in place given the bigger picture.

    Really? All the cop has to do is move closer? That would force the cop to move away from whatever he's investigating. Most of the time they're also filming already. And your less than 8-foot room scenario is far too slippery slope. I'd love to hear of instances where said laws were exploited before I'd be convinced they're unwise.

    On the contrary I've seen plenty of videos from 1A Auditors where police have asked them to move back, but not to stop filming so you seem to be objecting to non-issues.

    I've said my piece.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X