This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    25 years ago I was the head of our local red cross chapter, and we selected fire detectors as our project one summer. We would go out to small towns in Minnesota, walk door to door, and offer to check their fire detector, and if they didn't have one, install one free of charge.

There is no question that 40% of the homes I went into had a police scanner operating. One Saturday the Sheriff's department was searching for a guy on an arrest warrant, and as I went from home to home it was like listening to a soap opera as the story progressed.
    Two things.

First, as a story writer I would encourage you if you have any interest to give it a shot. In two short paragraphs you just wrote the beginning of an excellent short story. You gave us a location we can see, concrete objects to focus on, a narrator's voice, a fascinating premise, movement in space and time, and a hint of drama. You have what we call in the biz a natural talent, boy. And this is not the first time I have noticed it.

As an editor I would literally make just one cut and one change: excise "There is no question that." it improves the rhythm of the sentence and makes it less didactic and more inviting. And change "it was like" to "I was." You've put yourself into the story and pulled in the reader with you. We are now walking through the houses together. Immediate and intimate.

Second, in 57 years I have never known a single person who had a police scanner. This is something very regional/cultural.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-10-2020, 10:00 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Second, in 57 years I have never known a single person who had a police scanner. This is something very regional/cultural.
      I'm not even sure they make police scanners anymore. When the Cubs won the World Series a buddy called me and told me to download an app on my phone that provided access to various police scanners around the country. He recommended the Chicago PD. I'll admit, I took his advice and tuned in for about a half hour, and it was kind of funny/interesting. Don't think I've turned it on since, but that experience and my days with the Red Cross clued me in that it might not be that hard to get addicted.

As for story writing, I am undoubtedly the least creative and least imaginative person with whom you've ever had the displeasure to communicate. I couldn't tell a story if Hemingway wrote it for me. I almost died when I realized I was expected to say something clever at our oldest daughter's wedding reception, and I have two more to go.

I can recite with clarity events that have happened to me. Unfortunately, very few of those events have been particularly interesting.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post

Yup https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fa...e/US/PST045219

Although Hispanic is not a race according to the census- but it is separated later.
        hmmmmm. well 5-to-1 works just as well for you then. cause there ain't no way whites associate with hispanics, nor do hispanics associate with whites. the us did just after all vote in a dude to wall up the way in for hispanics
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Minneapolis police chief breaking off contract negotiations with police union.

good.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...ons-with-union

Comment

As for story writing, I am undoubtedly the least creative and least imaginative person with whom you've ever had the displeasure to communicate. I couldn't tell a story if Hemingway wrote it for me. I almost died when I realized I was expected to say something clever at our oldest daughter's wedding reception, and I have two more to go.

I can recite with clarity events that have happened to me. Unfortunately, very few of those events have been particularly interesting.
            I am less creative than you, trust me. A story writer need not be creative -- not everyone is Lovecraft. Sometimes simple journalism is compelling. Jean Shepherd, one of my favorite writers, was mostly a "rememberer." He added tweaks and he was a compulsive liar (no, seriously, like multiple secret families) which helped a little but primarily he would write out a simple memory and then look at it sideways.

Anyway, you have been Inceptioned.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Minneapolis police chief breaking off contract negotiations with police union.

good.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota...ons-with-union
              I'm not sure it is that "good" of an outcome for anyone looking for reform.

I believe that in Minnesota, police officers are not allowed to "strike" because they are considered essential workers. But that doesn't mean a City can just hold out in their negotiations because the cops have lost their greatest negotiation weapon. What Minnesota gives to essential workers instead of the strike tool is called "interest arbitration." Basically, the cops will force the City to proceed to arbitration on those issues that are in dispute, then an arbitrator will decide what the terms of the contract will be.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

I'm not sure it is that "good" of an outcome for anyone looking for reform.

I believe that in Minnesota, police officers are not allowed to "strike" because they are considered essential workers. But that doesn't mean a City can just hold out in their negotiations because the cops have lost their greatest negotiation weapon. What Minnesota gives to essential workers instead of the strike tool is called "interest arbitration." Basically, the cops will force the City to proceed to arbitration on those issues that are in dispute, then an arbitrator will decide what the terms of the contract will be.
                What if this is a precursor to MPS dissolving the police? The cops can't force MPS to continue them. They don't have a gun to their head, so to speak.

What is the downside to MPS letting the contract end, abolishing the police as is, then letting another contract for a completely new LEO entity and telling individual officers, "you can apply if you want"?

The cops do not hold the city hostage, they are a service provider, like any other public utility. They can be discontinued in toto for any reason MPS cares to provide or none at all.
                Last edited by Kepler; 06-10-2020, 11:12 AM.
                Cornell University

Comment

As usual you guys have way over-thought this. Live PD is nosy voyeurism, nothing more, nothing less. Live PD is popular for the same reason that people slow down on the interstate when there is an accident in the opposite lanes of traffic that doesn't interfere with your traffic at all, or isn't necessary for safety reasons. It's the same reason that people listen to scanners.

25 years ago I was the head of our local red cross chapter, and we selected fire detectors as our project one summer. We would go out to small towns in Minnesota, walk door to door, and offer to check their fire detector, and if they didn't have one, install one free of charge.

There is no question that 40% of the homes I went into had a police scanner operating. One Saturday the Sheriff's department was searching for a guy on an arrest warrant, and as I went from home to home it was like listening to a soap opera as the story progressed.

But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that my own fascination with the way these people lived, the insides of their homes, what they were eating, their hoarding activities, their addiction to the police scanner, was every bit as nosy and voyeuristic as those I visited.

Hey, we're all Gladys Kravitz.
                  Hey dont lump all us in with Kepler. Sometimes he sounds like the stoner guy in college who sees extra meaning in everything.

I do wear it as a badge of honor though that I have never watched Cops or Live PD.
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                    Hey dont lump all us in with Kepler. Sometimes he sounds like the stoner guy in college who sees extra meaning in everything.
                    There, there. New ideas can be threatening.
                    Cornell University

Comment

I'm not even sure they make police scanners anymore. When the Cubs won the World Series a buddy called me and told me to download an app on my phone that provided access to various police scanners around the country. He recommended the Chicago PD. I'll admit, I took his advice and tuned in for about a half hour, and it was kind of funny/interesting. Don't think I've turned it on since, but that experience and my days with the Red Cross clued me in that it might not be that hard to get addicted.

I know people who listen tot he scanner during and after Packer games...they hear some outrageous stuff.

Back to MPS...Bob Kroll is gonna be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I would assume this is the precurser. No union is going to let you fire everyone and then make them re-apply for their jobs. Hell the City is probably hoping half of them quit in protest. Maybe they can join that force down in Florida...
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

What if this is a precursor to MPS dissolving the police? The cops can't force MPS to continue them. They don't have a gun to their head, so to speak.

What is the downside to MPS letting the contract end, abolishing the police as is, then letting another contract for a completely new LEO entity and telling individual officers, "you can apply if you want"?

The cops do not hold the city hostage, they are a service provider, like any other public utility. They can be discontinued in toto for any reason MPS cares to provide or none at all.
                        I think a couple of things are blocking the City right now in terms of dissolving the police.

First there is the matter of the contract. It might depend upon how it is written, but I'm pretty sure that unless the police department is dissolved first, the contract will have to be submitted to interest arbitration unless an agreement can be reached. In other words, I don't think the City can use the contract to dissolve the MPD.

Second, as I noted back with the "defund the police" thing came up a few days ago, Minneapolis is a Charter city, which means they've adopted a Charter that serves as its own little Constitution. It can be amended, but only by vote of the citizens or by unanimous vote of the City Council and approval by the Mayor.

Right now, that Charter says the City "must" have a police force, the police force "must" have at least a certain number of officers (dictated by population), and the City Council "must" adequately fund that force.

So, in summary, yeah the City can defund, dissolve or change the police force, but there is a process that has to be followed that goes way beyond 9 of 13 council members voicing support for it, or stalling in contract negotiations.

Comment

There, there. New ideas can be threatening.
                          That isnt a new idea...that is just being pretentious

Cops is no different than the Iron Chef used to be. It is a stupid show of little to no value, there is o greater meaning behind it...except that large quantities of people watch stupid stuff
                          -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I think a couple of things are blocking the City right now in terms of dissolving the police.

First there is the matter of the contract. It might depend upon how it is written, but I'm pretty sure that unless the police department is dissolved first, the contract will have to be submitted to interest arbitration unless an agreement can be reached. In other words, I don't think the City can use the contract to dissolve the MPD.

Second, as I noted back with the "defund the police" thing came up a few days ago, Minneapolis is a Charter city, which means they've adopted a Charter that serves as its own little Constitution. It can be amended, but only by vote of the citizens or by unanimous vote of the City Council and approval by the Mayor.

Right now, that Charter says the City "must" have a police force, the police force "must" have at least a certain number of officers (dictated by population), and the City Council "must" adequately fund that force.

So, in summary, yeah the City can defund, dissolve or change the police force, but there is a process that has to be followed that goes way beyond 9 of 13 council members voicing support for it, or stalling in contract negotiations.
                            Thank you. This is all excellent information.
                            Cornell University

Comment

That isnt a new idea...that is just being pretentious

Cops is no different than the Iron Chef used to be. It is a stupid show of little to no value, there is o greater meaning behind it...except that large quantities of people watch stupid stuff
                              Everything below one's ability to comprehend is stupid. Everything above is pretentious.
                              Cornell University

Comment

I know people who listen tot he scanner during and after Packer games...they hear some outrageous stuff.

Back to MPS...Bob Kroll is gonna be maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

I would assume this is the precurser. No union is going to let you fire everyone and then make them re-apply for their jobs. Hell the City is probably hoping half of them quit in protest. Maybe they can join that force down in Florida...
                                Yes it must have a police force...it doesnt say it has to be this police force. As long as they hire other officers to replace the MPS they arent violating the charter by dissolving the MPS. That is why that point isnt brought up more.

That is why this is going to be a slow moving process. They need something in place with a minimal number of officers as soon as they dissolve the current brand.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X