This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

So your idea for justice for Black Communities is to destroy a Black Community? Do you see the logic flaw there?

You aren't going to reform the cops that way. Has it worked anywhere? They aren't going to pay for this so what do they care? Do you the the BCPD is going to change because they got bad press and the city paid out a huge fine?

Do you really think you would support this if it was your town that was about to lose everything?
    Again, what is a good alternative???

Suing will drain the insurance fund, which will raise the insurance rates. Which will prompt the insurance company to tell them to not do that again, prompting changes in the policing system.

It's flawed, but it's also the best of the bad ideas right now.

Doing nothing changes nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

Again, what is a good alternative???

Suing will drain the insurance fund, which will raise the insurance rates. Which will prompt the insurance company to tell them to not do that again, prompting changes in the policing system.

It's flawed, but it's also the best of the bad ideas right now.

Doing nothing changes nothing.
      Its just a few bad apples. The department leadership and fellow officers will make sure they get weeded out.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• According to the demo data I pulled up, even “black” Brooklyn Center is 45% white and only 29% black. Somehow I just have a sneaking suspicion that the value of properties held by white people far exceeds their share. So even there, a major lien on city finances would cut the white folks there significantly harder than the black folks.
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

• What a shock, cops aren't entirely thrilled with getting a covid vaccination.

In case a paywall blocks you, the gist of the article is the low vaccination rate among police officers throughout the country, despite the fact cops (and other first responder types) were often at the front of the line for the vaccine and have had it available for at least 3 or 4 months now. Some departments have done better than others, and some have done quite well, but many have not.

The article offers a stab at some potential explanations as to what is behind the low rates among cops. What ****es me off about it is how it completely avoids the one reason why we ALL know this is true: Cops are trump-loving extreme far-right conservatives and that is a demographic that has long denied the seriousness of the pandemic and the usefulness of a vaccination. This despite the fact that since the beginning of the pandemic, COVID-19 has killed more cops than all other causes combined.

Remember this the next time you interact with a maskless cop, there is a very good chance he (probably he, women are less reluctant to get vaccinated and most cops are male) has chosen to go un-vaccinated. If you're white, make it clear you want them to keep their distance. If you're not white, good luck with the encounter. You probably won't get shot, but that chance increases exponentially if you choose to exercise any of your constitutional or human rights. Good luck to you.

Comment

• Conservative
            Low education
            Low intelligence

Hardly surprising.

c.f professional athletes, priests, marines, radio talk show hosts.

Last edited by Kepler; 05-03-2021, 01:16 PM.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

Conservative
              Low education
              Low intelligence

Hardly surprising.

c.f professional athletes, priests, marines, radio talk show hosts.
              While a piece of paper proves little (and does not mean one is truly "educated"), you might be shocked to know that the percentage of American cops with a B.S. or B.A. is only slightly less than that of the general public. Which might be surprising considering few departments require a B.S. or B.A. In fact hardly any require even a 2-year degree, approximately 10%.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

While a piece of paper proves little (and does not mean one is truly "educated"), you might be shocked to know that the percentage of American cops with a B.S. or B.A. is only slightly less than that of the general public. Which might be surprising considering few departments require a B.S. or B.A. In fact hardly any require even a 2-year degree, approximately 10%.
                Whaddya call the kid who graduates last from high school?

"Officer."
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• White cop shoots black man in the back, is fired and charged with murder, but after a review, gets reinstated to his job...

There's more to this story of course. The Atlanta officer is being returned to his job because a review board determined his employer did not follow the procedures necessary in terminating an employee, not that the officer's actions did not warrent discipline. Basically a technicalilty, with the review board determining the officer's right to respond effectively was negated. He was fired very quickly, if I recall. It may have been less than 24 hours after the shooting.

There are certain due process rules that apply to firing a public sector employee and in this case I would be willing to bet they were not followed. I have made and won that argument a number of times and gotten members of mine reinstated. Now we have to wait and see what might happen with a proper review. The officer will still be on administrative leave, as his bond prevents him from carrying a weapon, so even with this ruling he won't be shooting anyone else while on duty for a while at least.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    White cop shoots black man in the back, is fired and charged with murder, but after a review, gets reinstated to his job...

There's more to this story of course. The Atlanta officer is being returned to his job because a review board determined his employer did not follow the procedures necessary in terminating an employee, not that the officer's actions did not warrent discipline. Basically a technicalilty, with the review board determining the officer's right to respond effectively was negated. He was fired very quickly, if I recall. It may have been less than 24 hours after the shooting.

There are certain due process rules that apply to firing a public sector employee and in this case I would be willing to bet they were not followed. I have made and won that argument a number of times and gotten members of mine reinstated. Now we have to wait and see what might happen with a proper review. The officer will still be on administrative leave, as his bond prevents him from carrying a weapon, so even with this ruling he won't be shooting anyone else while on duty for a while at least.
                    This sounds like a dumb, sloppy administrative problem. Not a good look though, as the headlines are easy to write - "Cop that shot unarmed black man re-instated".
                    I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• Kentucky State Police... what in the ever loving **** is your problem?

https://www.facebook.com/KentuckySta...9961168575676/
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                        Kentucky State Police... what in the ever loving **** is your problem?

I get what they were trying to do.

It's an attempt. Obviously they should have maybe shopped it around a little more, cuz, yeah no. But I believe it comes from a good place.

Trying is better than not trying.
                        Cornell University

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          Kentucky State Police... what in the ever loving **** is your problem?

Perfect reply to that:
                          https://twitter.com/lessdismalsci/st...12450196578305
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

I get what they were trying to do.

It's an attempt. Obviously they should have maybe shopped it around a little more, cuz, yeah no. But I believe it comes from a good place.

Trying is better than not trying.
                            This is my feeling too. I get the idea that they're trying, sloppily, but trying all the same.

Probably should have workshopped this one a bit more, but this isn't on par with the idiot punisher tie-ins.

then again, white dude here, so I don't want to be telling others how they're supposed to feel.
                            I gotta little bit of smoke and a whole lotta wine...

Comment

• So came across a video of Mississippi cops spraying dozens of shots at a vehicle on an incredibly busy highway. The more details I found, the more angry I got.

Video was filmed from the other side of the highway and could have been shot
                              The guy they were chasing was a suspect in a murder
                              There was a baby in the car
                              It died from the police gunfire
                              Did I mention it sounded like 30-40 shots were fired?

They said the guy was shot as he exited the vehicle. That might be true, but the angle I saw doesn't seem to back that up. I guess we'll wait for body cams...
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Swansong View Post

This is my feeling too. I get the idea that they're trying, sloppily, but trying all the same.

Probably should have workshopped this one a bit more, but this isn't on par with the idiot punisher tie-ins.

then again, white dude here, so I don't want to be telling others how they're supposed to feel.
                                I was angry, but if they identify as trooper... I should be able to pistol whip the next one of them that says shenanigans.
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X