Cops: No Snarky Nor Positive Title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

They said he "didn't have a license plate" but he had the temp in his window.
    I read that the window was tinted and you could not see the temp. Not an excuse at all, but another reason to hate car dealers if they put it where it couldn't be reasonably seen.

The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Can't he just open the door from the outside?
      Maybe (though depending on the handle type, good luck doing that from inside the car). But even if he could, odds are he'd fumble for the door handle, twitch, contort his body, or otherwise do something that would be "non-compliant."

I mean, for ****** sake, you've already faulted him for going to a well-lit area (something that is far from unheard of), for not turning the engine off (something I've never been asked to do on the 3 occasions I've been pulled over for speeding), and for not moving fast enough in the face of cops yelling at him, even though had he moved too fast he'd be faulted for that.

Maybe instead of trying to find every single fault with the victim, you look at the supposedly trained professionals performing their occupations and ask whether they would've treated a 35-year-old white woman the same way. You can't tell me with a straight face that they would.
      Last edited by unofan; 04-14-2021, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Why didn't he just get out of the car when they asked him to? He's at a well lit gas station, that probably has security cameras. I've been asked by law enforcement to get out of my car before. I had no idea why (to this day I still have no idea why).
        You're not black. And you don't have a cop in your face telling you you should be afraid to step out of your vehicle.

You hear that from a cop, what do you think? That bad things are gonna happen if you step out of your vehicle. And every black person knows what bad things happen to them by cops.

God you're a doosh.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by MichVandal View Post

I'm still shocked that the driver can be blamed for escalation from the start. Jeez. We are never going to make progress if we always side with the cops in a situation like this.
          Not 'we'.

Dooshes like Hovey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            I admittedly got my law degree from Law & Order University, but in both cases, isn't there a case for depraved indifference? Especially with the Chauvin case. The defense if pushing that George Floyd died because of drugs in his system, or whatever. OK, let's say that's the case. That STILL doesn't mean you should kneel on his neck for 9 minutes. If you thought he was having cardiac issues, or whatever, call an ambulance and try to keep him alive. That way he survives and you can make sure he goes to jail. But instead, you kneel on his neck and do nothing to help him to ensure he survive and make sure he goes to jail. With her, yes, she seems contrite, but she did shoot the guy.

Every time I watch a police drama and the bad guys are getting away by car, the police shoot at the car. And I always yell "SHOOT THE TIRES!" Because then the car doesn't get away (or it's more difficult). On that same thought - when watching police dramas and the police shoot a suspect who is running away, I always yell "SHOOT AT THE LEGS!" because they always wind up shooting the perp in the chest, or head or whatever and the perp dies. Why did Officer Potter have to shoot where it would kill him? Even if she was going to taser him. Taser the arm or something. I know not all police officers are the best shot yet they seem to always shoot where it does the most damage.
            They're trained to shoot to "stop the threat" which means putting multiple bullets into the torso since it's most likely to be hit.

Which is actually ok in theory if they actually followed procedures to the letter of the law because they should only be using deadly force whenever there is an imminent threat of serious injury or death to themselves or others, and any time you fire a gun it is considered deadly force.

The problem is that what they say justifies the use of deadly force often times shouldn't (or wouldn't for anyone outside of law enforcement), especially as one's skin tone gets darker.

Comment

Breonna Taylor might beg to differ with you.
              On that, maybe don't serve a warrant with a SWAT team.

Comment

On that, maybe don't serve a warrant with a SWAT team.
                Sometimes you should've brought the SWAT team.
                And this was serving the warrant at the residence (as someone recommended earlier).

https://www.valleynewslive.com/conte...570869201.html
                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post

They're trained to shoot to "stop the threat" which means putting multiple bullets into the torso since it's most likely to be hit.

Which is actually ok in theory if they actually followed procedures to the letter of the law because they should only be using deadly force whenever there is an imminent threat of serious injury or death to themselves or others, and any time you fire a gun it is considered deadly force.

The problem is that what they say justifies the use of deadly force often times shouldn't (or wouldn't for anyone outside of law enforcement), especially as one's skin tone gets darker.
                  Shooting in the leg does mean stop the threat (to me) because then the bad guy can't go anywhere and lo and behold, he/she is taken into custody.

Comment

Shooting in the leg does mean stop the threat (to me) because then the bad guy can't go anywhere and lo and behold, he/she is taken into custody.
                    If the threat still holds a firearm a leg wound does not stop the threat.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

I admittedly got my law degree from Law & Order University, but in both cases, isn't there a case for depraved indifference? Especially with the Chauvin case. The defense if pushing that George Floyd died because of drugs in his system, or whatever. OK, let's say that's the case. That STILL doesn't mean you should kneel on his neck for 9 minutes. If you thought he was having cardiac issues, or whatever, call an ambulance and try to keep him alive. That way he survives and you can make sure he goes to jail. But instead, you kneel on his neck and do nothing to help him to ensure he survive and make sure he goes to jail. With her, yes, she seems contrite, but she did shoot the guy.

Every time I watch a police drama and the bad guys are getting away by car, the police shoot at the car. And I always yell "SHOOT THE TIRES!" Because then the car doesn't get away (or it's more difficult). On that same thought - when watching police dramas and the police shoot a suspect who is running away, I always yell "SHOOT AT THE LEGS!" because they always wind up shooting the perp in the chest, or head or whatever and the perp dies. Why did Officer Potter have to shoot where it would kill him? Even if she was going to taser him. Taser the arm or something. I know not all police officers are the best shot yet they seem to always shoot where it does the most damage.
                      Police miss their target more than they hit it, and if they were aiming at smaller and more narrow body parts (legs versus torso, for instance) the miss rate would be even higher. If you are going to unholster your firearm and shoot at someone, your only goal is to stop the person from being a threat. Period. You are more likely to stop them by first hitting them, and secondly by hitting vital organs like hearts and lungs.

I am easily one of the most vocal cop bashers on this forum, and even I think the notion of anyone trying to hit a leg or shoot a gun out of a hand is wildly far-fetched, and especially so under the circumstances of live fire. We need to teach cops to deescalate and absolutely require that of them whenever it is remotely possible. We need to root out the racists and the systemic racism in policing (and society). We need to truly make the police accountable for every criminal act an officer commits. But it isn't realistic to expect -- when lethal force is justified -- even the most well trained officers to be able to shoot only to wound. And if lethal force is not justifed, that weapon needs to remain holstered.

Comment

• Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post

... and even I think the notion of anyone trying to hit a leg or shoot a gun out of a hand is wildly far-fetched, and especially so under the circumstances of live fire.
                        100%.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post

Sometimes you should've brought the SWAT team.
                          And this was serving the warrant at the residence (as someone recommended earlier).

https://www.valleynewslive.com/conte...570869201.html
                          So is that justification that cops have to assume that everyone is armed and dangerous for 100% of situations? We already know where that assumption heads to- people get shot for just being black and in the wrong place.

When guns are drawn for a simple traffic violation, something is wrong- as that's about as high of escalation as you can get.

Comment

• The cop was murdered for serving an eviction notice. Escalation indeed.

Not all cops are good; not all cops are bad.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• You can be compliant as all get out and still end up dead. When a cop has a gun pointed at you and screaming who's to say how "easy" it is to follow orders to the T without twitching?

Comment

So is that justification that cops have to assume that everyone is armed and dangerous for 100% of situations? We already know where that assumption heads to- people get shot for just being black and in the wrong place.

When guns are drawn for a simple traffic violation, something is wrong- as that's about as high of escalation as you can get.
                                Hey, you know, if there weren't so many freakin' guns out there, cops wouldn't have to assume every time they make a stop that the person might be armed and dangerous.

Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
                                X