Open Wheel Racing 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Well I think this whole can of worms is being argued over ad infinitum at the FIA right now. I'm not against copying, but at some point, you need to design something. Or we could just bag the Constructors championship and go back to drivers only.
    And to be fair to Renault, that is what they said initially -- they wanted answers to what F1 is going to be. And they forced the very discussion you mention with these protests.

We may all have a different place to draw that line between copying and designing yourself, but we are all want that line defined one way or another and move on.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue
      Can't say that I like the rule that if you go back out to improve your time that your original time stands. Quite a few cars prevented others from getting another chance- just by going around with no risk to move down the standings. Don't like that at all.
      Yeah, that’s stupid.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Now it is strongly rumored that FIA has discovered cheating in the software that manages the MGUK in some teams' power units. Ferrari agreed last fall to help the FIA in policing things and it could be that everyone else has used the software to confuse the sensors in the MGUK( similar to how Ferrari did with the fuel flow sensors) and thus get more power than they might otherwise.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

On the other hand, could the teams be using the MGUK in a manner that is legal, but not how the FIA intended? Sure. To me, that's like the oil burning thing that each team was doing- it was legal, and they could get more power. And maybe there will be a correction in how it's used.
          Which could be the real reason behind the technical directive banning party modes. Just like they put out a technical directive over that oil burning issue.
          Russell Jaslow

Comment

So, please correct me if I’m wrong but, I’m guessing that it would’ve taken too long to repair the pit wall so that’s why no red flag?
            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

That's my take on it- that was a lot to clean up, and a lot of trucks out there. Waiting for an hour just for 2 laps isn't worth it. Sato had the car at the end anyway. Just had to hold of Dixon twice on passing attempts- doing the same thing as last year's winner. That was a fun race.
              Yeah, maybe I’m getting old but I think that was actually the best way to finish the race. Sitting around for 30-60 minutes would’ve sucked.
              U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
              Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
              I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
              But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
              Originally posted by Doyle Woody
              Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

That's my take on it- that was a lot to clean up, and a lot of trucks out there. Waiting for an hour just for 2 laps isn't worth it.
                This was later confirmed. Would have taken at least an hour to fix. Not to mention NBC was not going to give them that time, especially heading into the local and national news on the East Coast. And like you said for just two laps. If that, considering they would have wanted probably two laps to warm up the tires again. This isn't NASCAR. Two laps of open wheel all out franticness (my new made up word) would have been pretty darn dangerous.
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

I would say Ferrari is absolutely wretched. But that might actually be a compliment...
                  Russell Jaslow

Comment

I give Hamilton a lot of credit for doing such a great job managing the tires and the racing. As Will Buxton said the best thing they can do is go to The Vatican, get an audience with the pope and pray like crazy.

Comment

In the rumor dept. the rule change on engine modes has Mercedes pretty concerned. The car overheats badly in traffic as it is and they could run a lower power setting but in clear air, it's a big advantage to run the setting they have. During the red flag they changed the radiator ducting to enhance airflow to only slight effect. it will be interesting how they deal with it next week. I'm not a fan of the second standing start or of giving stroll fresh tires and no pit stops required.

Comment

During the virtual Indy races, JJ was very impressive. I'm thinking he really liked the cars. Honestly, after you drive a Formula Car you are ruined for other types. Also, I think it's a testament to how hard Vettel is trying that he keeps spinning. Guys with lower grip cars tend to push it a lot harder to keep up, doesn't work very well.
                        I hope Perez lands somewhere good. I think Grosjean has been talking about retiring but i'm surprised The hulk isn't in line for that seat.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          During the virtual Indy races, JJ was very impressive. I'm thinking he really liked the cars. Honestly, after you drive a Formula Car you are ruined for other types. Also, I think it's a testament to how hard Vettel is trying that he keeps spinning. Guys with lower grip cars tend to push it a lot harder to keep up, doesn't work very well.
                          I hope Perez lands somewhere good. I think Grosjean has been talking about retiring but i'm surprised The hulk isn't in line for that seat.
                          There could be a seat open at Alfa Romeo also if Kimi retires. (Ferrari only "owns" one of those seats, and I expect Giovinazzi to lose that seat. All top three drivers in the F2 standings are Ferrari Academy drivers.)
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

I'm not surprised it was not a well kept secret, but after Perez did so much for them, for them to push him out like that sucks.

Comment

I'd like to know if you all think the drivers are to blame for the wreck on the sc start or if the track is, or what? It was entertaining but we can't keep having that. Also of note, Mercedes was making great efforts to preserve tires but RP not so much and the next thing you know Stroll has a blowout. I think the tires are still an issue, just like at Silverstone.

Comment

You can blame any number of entities. Even the pace car driver if you want to. I prefer the indycar type of restart rather than having to wait for the control line. I think Russell was trying to game the system and got caught doing so. if he had waited 5 more seconds then he would have gotten away with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X