• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 months before I was born. Good Lord!

https://youtu.be/7exBtOgys7I
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

So...controversial opinion here. Looking at the history of F1. Hamilton and Schumacher are top 10 drivers I think but having cars so far superior to their counterparts and winning titles in eras where competition is less than fierce I’d rate them behind Senna, Clark, Mansell, Ascari, Fangio.

thoughts?
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
        So...controversial opinion here. Looking at the history of F1. Hamilton and Schumacher are top 10 drivers I think but having cars so far superior to their counterparts and winning titles in eras where competition is less than fierce I’d rate them behind Senna, Clark, Mansell, Ascari, Fangio.

thoughts?
        Some of those Fangio titles were won with clearly superior cars. And the year Mansell won, his car was completely unbeatable with the traction control it had.
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Some of those Fangio titles were won with clearly superior cars. And the year Mansell won, his car was completely unbeatable with the traction control it had.
          And Senna had the MP4/4.
          U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
          Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
          I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
          But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
          Originally posted by Doyle Woody
          Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Didn’t Fangio have 2-3 engine manufacturers over those 5 title runs?

mansell, yes, however he was runner-up for the title a couple of times iirc and was very close to Senna/Prost, definitely more aggressive than the latter.
            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

Didn’t Fangio have 2-3 engine manufacturers over those 5 title runs?
              There was one year he won the title where he ran with two different teams.

Not all his titles were with dominant equipment. But some certainly were. He also had the knack of going to teams right when they peaked. That's why he won with three different teams. (Stirling Moss on the other hand had the opposite ability -- three times he left teams that won the year after he left.)
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

So RP can buy CAD drawings from Merc, build the ducts as per Merc last year, buy suspension from Merc, engines from Merc, trans from Merc, and they are considered a manufacturer? Why shouldn't everyone do it? Pay the small fine and buy all the drawings. Saves tons of time and gives you a better car. I'm pretty disgusted honestly.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I mean what is it that they supposedly manufacture? Taillights? Mirrors? Pedals?

Comment

I mean, the cars were supposed to radically change next year, now pushed back to 2022, so what’s the point of spending millions (and forcing smaller teams) on outdated designs?
                    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue
                      Well, unless the seller is insane, the CAD they purchaser will get is not the best of the best version. So it's not as if they get the easy button to wins.

But given the expense of making an F1 car, if you can buy most of last year's F1 car, and start there, I'm fine with that. Haas essentially started that way. IMHO, McLaren and Williams should have done that to dig out of their holes- too much time and money wasted the way each team has done it. Swallow your pride and just acknowledge that Mercedes is the best car, and start with last year's version.
                      Well.... Haas buys its cars from Dallara, and engine and gearbox from Ferrari.. Since Dallara is not a competitor, it's all good. Since those ducts were absolutely identical to last years' Merc, even on the inside........

Comment

Well, the genesis of this is that Renault has real serious brake cooling problems and the ducts are the culprit. They take exception to it because A. the ducts are not on the list of parts that are ok to buy, whereas the gearbox is, and B. it was Blatant! and sure C. they are fast.
                        if we are all going to copy then let's just have a spec series like Indy does.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          So RP can buy CAD drawings from Merc, build the ducts as per Merc last year, buy suspension from Merc, engines from Merc, trans from Merc, and they are considered a manufacturer? Why shouldn't everyone do it? Pay the small fine and buy all the drawings. Saves tons of time and gives you a better car. I'm pretty disgusted honestly.
                          That’s how Haas did it from Ferrari. And Williams stopped making their own transmission as they now buy Mercedes' gearbox.

The problem Racing Point apparently ran into was they went a bit too far according to what they were allowed to do.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post

Well.... Haas buys its cars from Dallara, and engine and gearbox from Ferrari.. Since Dallara is not a competitor, it's all good. Since those ducts were absolutely identical to last years' Merc, even on the inside........
                            Where do you think Dallara got most of the CAD designs to build those parts? From Ferrari! And everybody knew that at the time. Dallara copied every Ferrari part they were legally allowed to copy. And that’s Racing Point's argument with this year's car.

And Racing Point was allowed to use identical brake ducts last year. It was this year when that was no longer allowed. Also, Racing Point was using last years brake ducts this year. While Mercedes updated their brake ducts this year. So, RP was still not using the latest and greatest.
                            Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue
                              IIRC, way back in the good old days, that people remember with great fondness, most of the car was bought. Engine from Ford, trans from (I can't remember), brakes from a number of sources, gauges from sources... You could even buy a March chassis to race it. Could invent your own aero doing that.

Back when F1 was a lot more accessible. And even then, it wasn't a spec series.
                              You are absolutely correct. Heck, that’s how Williams got its start. Even Ferraris were being campaigned by independents ... remember NART?

Thats why I roll my eyes every time I hear the absurd "It’s not F1’s DNA” whenever someone argues against more parts being shared. F1’s DNA was never about each team being a constructor.
                              Russell Jaslow

Comment

Well I think this whole can of worms is being argued over ad infinitum at the FIA right now. I'm not against copying, but at some point, you need to design something. Or we could just bag the Constructors championship and go back to drivers only.

Comment

Working...
                                X