Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 The 11th Part: Suck It Up And Die Grandpa I Need A Manicure!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    As an aside, and not speaking for anyone else here, "he started it" never worked for me as a kid either.
    It does, however, work in court.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It used to be, even 3-5 years ago, you could come to this site and find people linking to, and talking about stories in The Atlantic, The Economist, The New York Times, and numerous other well-written, sometimes controversial articles on public policy or issues facing the country.

Today, it's twitter. People have lost the ability to think beyond 280 characters (I suppose we're lucky it's not still 140).

I don't mock the use of masks. I use them all the time. I'm actually starting to like them, and I'm sure I will even more once the January Minnesota wind kicks in.

What I mock is the idea of idiots literally calling 911 to report someone not wearing a mask. Here, let me put the shots fired call on hold while I deal with your pizzing match with another idiot over the wearing of masks. That's the stupidity I mock.
      I still don't see the connection between twitter and public policy. I'm not on twitter, but my take on it is a more real time reaction to things that are happening, as opposed to The Atlantic, The Economist, and The New York times- which have a reporting delay in them. And I'm still seeing links to those publications that allow you to read their articles without a subscription. Not sure where you are missing them.

But the connection between twitter and public policy?

As for mocking people who call 911 for masks- it's good to see you have some empathy to confused but worried people. Now that wearing a mask is required by governor's edict in many states, which means it's a law, who other than the police should people call? The implementation has been very confusing, to the point where police have stated that they will not be enforcing it, except when called at a store.

Given how many cops are wandering around trying to catch people run red lights, and speed- I'm pretty confident that the shots fired calls can be taken, and the resources trying to gain money by catching speeders can be used for places calling about lack of masks. Besides, it's turning out that shots and knives are being used because of masks. Twice this week, I had to go to work, and there were cops all over the place catching speeders- so don't go off an make up problems of police resources that don't exist.

Maybe instead of mocking people, you can find a better way to implement the ideas so that they are more effective and enforceable.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
        Hey Jeb...it's not possible to inform you.
        You're a science denier no matter what you say about your "massive experience" in stats.
        But there will eventually be this thing called a vaccine.

Personally though...if masks became mandatory for the rest of my life...so be it.
        I'll do what I need to to keep myself and those around me alive.
        You seem to have a weird interpretation of science. What happened to the Science of the past two decades? Poof it’s just gone, eliminated?

Your Science of the last two months in an extremely polarized environment is the end all be all? I don’t think that is how science works.

I’m glad there is going to be this thing called a vaccine. Even though it doesn’t exist yet we are very fortunate to know it is going to work, very lucky. Even more lucky since Corona Viruses have existed for a very long time and to date there isn’t vaccines for them. Very fortunate that this Covid19 which we knew little to nothing about just a few months ago and still are learning, we know enough to rush a vaccine through the process faster than ever and it is guaranteed to work. Very special development for #TeamPanic
        Last edited by Jeb2020; 07-15-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by alfablue View Post

I still don't see the connection between twitter and public policy. I'm not on twitter, but my take on it is a more real time reaction to things that are happening, as opposed to The Atlantic, The Economist, and The New York times- which have a reporting delay in them. And I'm still seeing links to those publications that allow you to read their articles without a subscription. Not sure where you are missing them.

As for mocking people who call 911 for masks- it's good to see you have some empathy to confused but worried people. Now that wearing a mask is required by governor's edict in many states, which means it's a law, who other than the police should people call? The implementation has been very confusing, to the point where police have stated that they will not be enforcing it, except when called at a store.

Given how many cops are wandering around trying to catch people run red lights, and speed- I'm pretty confident that the shots fired calls can be taken, and the resources trying to gain money by catching speeders can be used for places calling about lack of masks. Besides, it's turning out that shots and knives are being used because of masks. Twice this week, I had to go to work, and there were cops all over the place catching speeders- so don't go off an make up problems of police resources that don't exist.

Maybe instead of mocking people, you can find a better way to implement the ideas so that they are more effective and enforceable.
          So just to be clear. Police good now? When receiving calls from #TeamAdultChildren

Comment

A couple of things. I'm not whining about defunding the police. I'm mocking it because I know it'll never happen, I know you guys are going to forget all about it when another shiny object catches your attention, and a year from now I'll probably forget to come on here and tease all of you about it. That's different than whining.

Second, and I've posted this a number of times before and my posting history should certainly bear this out. You will very rarely see me come on here and say "I agree" with something that eight other posters have already posted about. I think it's stupid, and a waste of my time. Adding "me too" does nothing for these threads, certainly not after the first couple.

If I think an important point was made that one or two others have agreed with, but others have disputed, then I may come on here and throw in my two cents in support of one side or the other.

I haven't seen anyone here trying to defend the idiots who call 911 because a black person is walking his dog, or having a picnic in the park, or any of the other things people are calling 911 about. There isn't a defense.

Trust me, if I thought your "Karens" were getting a raw deal, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to let you know that. It's not like I avoid taking a minority position around here.
            I’m as pro mask as you could get and agree that it’s a little silly to call the cops on people not wearing them. It’s definitely a gray area and something the cops have never really had on their radar.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

I get the idea that if the governor has mandated it, mask wearing is "the law." That's fine. On a temporary basis I have no problem with governors doing that.

If they do, the vast majority of people will follow "the law." Some won't.

But do we need to call the police on them? I thought everyone here wanted to reduce police involvement in disputes, not increase it?

It's "the law" that you have to pick up after your dog when he craps in my yard, and it's "the law" that you're not supposed to throw your garbage in my dumpster. I've seen both occur more times than I can count, just in the last year. Should I call the police because "the law" has been violated?

Granted, what I'm asking for is the use of common sense by people. Every person has a dream.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Derp OK governor lapped up Dump spittle and said he doubted Coronavirus' existence.

God: challenge accepted.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I get the idea that if the governor has mandated it, mask wearing is "the law." That's fine. On a temporary basis I have no problem with governors doing that.

But do we need to call the police on them? I thought everyone here wanted to reduce police involvement in disputes, not increase it?

It's "the law" that you have to pick up after your dog when he craps in my yard, and it's "the law" that you're not supposed to throw your garbage in my dumpster. I've seen both occur more times than I can count, just in the last year. Should I call the police because "the law" has been violated?

Granted, what I'm asking for is the use of common sense by people. Every person has a dream.
                  The fact that you equate a person putting thousands of peoples lives at risk with a dog crapping on a lawn says all I need to know.
                  U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                  Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                  But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                  Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                  Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Who else do you contact? I asked that before, and all you can do is complain that people are calling the obvious? There are plenty of traffic cops out there who can deal with it- they are the ones making the big bucks for the new stations, afterall.

And yes, at some point, I would call the cops for someone's dog crapping in my yard. What's a law for if there's no following of it? I have called the cops (not 911) for someone blocking our mail box a lot. Once, you may ignore someone, put if it's consistently ignored- either it has to be reported, or the law has to be repealed- otherwise, what's the point?

Then again, this is about fighting a global pandemic, and keeping people alive- and I would call the cops if I saw someone illegally dumping stuff in an abandoned yard, or illegally storing chemicals. Heck, there was a guy who got the cops call on him for a chemical hazard- and I'm sure that nobody is going to die from that exposure.

Which is to say, from a public health perspective, masks are more similar to chemical dumping or whatnot than someone crapping in my yard- as the end results are very different.

Common sense would mean that people actually gave a crap about other people. Considering your earlier disdain for the health of fellow citizens, I'm not sure you are the one who should be worried about common sense of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeb2020 View Post

You seem to have a weird interpretation of science. What happened to the Science of the past two decades? Poof it’s just gone, eliminated?

Your Science of the last two months in an extremely polarized environment is the end all be all? I don’t think that is how science works.

I’m glad there is going to be this thing called a vaccine. Even though it doesn’t exist yet we are very fortunate to know it is going to work, very lucky. Even more lucky since Corona Viruses have existed for a very long time and to date there isn’t vaccines for them. Very fortunate that this Covid19 which we knew little to nothing about just a few months ago and still are learning, we know enough to rush a vaccine through the process faster than ever and it is guaranteed to work. Very special development for #TeamPanic
                      there was a SARS vaccine candidate, but the program was dropped when it turned out it was easy to control SARS through isolation (unlike SARS-Cov-2, with SARS you're only shedding virus in significant enough quantity to be infectious when you have symptoms so it's much easier to control). SARS and SARS-Cov-2 are similar genetically. It's not like they're starting with zero knowledge about creating a vaccine for a corona virus.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                        Hey Jeb...it's not possible to inform you.
                        You're a science denier no matter what you say about your "massive experience" in stats.
                        Didn't Fishy claim to be an actuary back in the day? Hmm...

Comment

• Originally posted by BassAle View Post

there was a SARS vaccine candidate, but the program was dropped when it turned out it was easy to control SARS through isolation (unlike SARS-Cov-2, with SARS you're only shedding virus in significant enough quantity to be infectious when you have symptoms so it's much easier to control). SARS and SARS-Cov-2 are similar genetically. It's not like they're starting with zero knowledge about creating a vaccine for a corona virus.
                          Yeah but he knows there's going to be a vaccine and IT'S GOING TO WORK! Until then...

Comment

Who else do you contact?
                            Again, I'll type it for the fourth time, I don't think you call anyone.

Let me ask you this, or for that matter, anyone else here who has been taking your position this afternoon on the subject of calling the cops on non-mask wearers.

Have any of you called 911 on a non-mask wearer? I know that every single person here has seen someone in public, in a store, or wherever, not wearing a mask. Did you pick up your cellphone and dial 911?

I'm going to guess no, because no one here wants to sound stupid or petty, and that's what you'd sound like.

That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• And you sound smug and arrogant.

What do i win?
                              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Again, I'll type it for the fourth time, I don't think you call anyone.

Let me ask you this, or for that matter, anyone else here who has been taking your position this afternoon on the subject of calling the cops on non-mask wearers.

Have any of you called 911 on a non-mask wearer? I know that every single person here has seen someone in public, in a store, or wherever, not wearing a mask. Did you pick up your cellphone and dial 911?

I'm going to guess no, because no one here wants to sound stupid or petty, and that's what you'd sound like.
                                How about when it gets violent? Because that has happened and I imagine it will continue.

Comment

Working...
                                X