• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    A reboot of the office?

who asked for that?

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Handy, dx, All I’m seeing is “solidarity unless it inconveniences me”.

Conan, Letterman, Colbert et al. should absolutely be called out for breaking the strike back then and are one of the major reasons why this strike is happening. They enabled the greed of these media companies and helped break that strike.

Sorry, but you guys and a lot of other liberals will complain about corporate greed and a lack of rights for workers but won’t do anything tangible to actually fight for those rights and against that greed. If we actually want to make real progress in this country then people like us are going to have to make sacrifices.
    You might want to re read my posts. There is no way you did and came to that conclusion I literally said this:

"Personally, I think they should all stay out especially any host that is themselves a member of the WGA or was at any point."

Acknowledging there is more nuance than just black and white doesn't change the argument I made. I can understand their reasoning and still think they are completely wrong. This whole thing started because I basically made the argument you are now using somehow against me. That is patently ridiculous and tells me you are arguing by gut not by actually reading. We all do it, it happens.

I literally can't argue against what you are saying, I agree 100%. We are on the same side making the same points.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Handy, dx, All I’m seeing is “solidarity unless it inconveniences me”.

Conan, Letterman, Colbert et al. should absolutely be called out for breaking the strike back then and are one of the major reasons why this strike is happening. They enabled the greed of these media companies and helped break that strike.

Sorry, but you guys and a lot of other liberals will complain about corporate greed and a lack of rights for workers but won’t do anything tangible to actually fight for those rights and against that greed. If we actually want to make real progress in this country then people like us are going to have to make sacrifices.

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Sorry, but this:

absolutely reeks of “blame the unions”. Giving people like Maher and Barrymore a pass because of “think of the other people” is buying into the corporate narrative. AMPTP and the networks are getting desperate to get shows back on the air and they use tactics like that to do it. Strikes are supposed to be disruptive and will always have consequences for those people not directly involved. It sucks for those people but there are resources available to them just like those on strike.

It’s not a complicated issue. Don’t cross the picket line. Solidarity means solidarity, not “solidarity but only when it’s convenient for me”.
    Solidarity ends when it comes to putting food on my table. Otherwise, 100% support. And to clarify, I mean jobs that aren't scabbing. Like I said earlier, if I have a non-maintenance project in a plant that needs to be done while the maintenance crew is on strike, I'll cross it if told to. That's not blaming the union one iota nor is it trying to bust the union.

That said, I'd also request a transfer from my boss during a strike if they asked me to cross a line. I'd say I'm uncomfortable crossing it and see what the reaction is.

As handy mentioned, I'm not giving a pass to Barrymore or Maher. If they're members, then sorry, that's a case where you don't get to cross the picket lines. Period. Either give up your union membership and suffer the consequences or stay home.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Haha thanks, I just saw a post about a 69 Netflix show and then people going on about unions and wondered if I was losing my mind

so, Maher decided to delay his return now

Leave a comment:

• Handyman
    replied
    Sorry, but this:

absolutely reeks of “blame the unions”. Giving people like Maher and Barrymore a pass because of “think of the other people” is buying into the corporate narrative. AMPTP and the networks are getting desperate to get shows back on the air and they use tactics like that to do it. Strikes are supposed to be disruptive and will always have consequences for those people not directly involved. It sucks for those people but there are resources available to them just like those on strike.

It’s not a complicated issue. Don’t cross the picket line. Solidarity means solidarity, not “solidarity but only when it’s convenient for me”.
    (I am a member of 3 unions and negotiator for 1)

I don't think that is what dx was doing...nor do I think that is what Barrymore, Maher or (back in the day) Conan was doing when they all said the same thing. If you aren't in a union or your union isn't on strike or in solidarity then it becomes a scenario like dx proposed. In 2008 to the Late Night hosts it made more sense to benefit the many (the non-strikers) over the few (the WGA writers) so that is what they did. They didn't hire scabs either and none of the hosts now are or were planning to do so as far as anyone knew. They took a hit for it...although some got it worse than others. Much like Barrymore took a lot of the heat this time Ellen took most of the heat last time. Barrymore couldn't take the backlash so she backed down...Ellen and the rest could so they went back to work.

Personally, I think they should all stay out especially any host that is themselves a member of the WGA or was at any point. There could be pretty bad consequences though if you do that in theory because there are other rules that those shows abide by that could put them in danger...especially the day time talk shows which are syndicated. No one is cancelling Colbert but Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Hudson could go away tomorrow and like 12 housewives would care.

DGF,

The posts are all from this thread...and its partly my fault because I made a counterpoint to the AOC article Kepler posted. I think a lot of the people up in arms are acting a bit hypocritical trying to show their union cred when in fact they love many of the hosts who did it in the past. (and they have no idea what most of the rules are governing these things or that other unions like SAG-AFTRA dont agree with the WGA about it) I never thought my comment would lead to all of this but hey, apparently I bring it out of people. ;^)

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

No one did anything of the sort.

You can reread what I posted, but you won't find me blaming the unions.
    Sorry, but this:
    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Here's the thing, if it were the maintenance guys at work striking and my job is to go in and complete a capital project, I'm crossing that line every time if I'm told to. And I don't think it's reasonable to tell other people to put their jobs on the line to support a union as non-union workers.

I don't necessarily think Maher and Barrymore getting their other employees back to work that aren't WGA union members is such a bad thing. It's a complicated issue. And I think this is what handy is also saying.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

When the only thing you have in your hand is a hammer, every thread looks like a nail.
    I’m honestly wondering if my mobile is putting posts in the wrong thread?i don’t even see a post that explains the transition

i don’t even see a post from dx where he spoke about unions so I’m wondering if posts are going to thr wrong threads

Leave a comment:

• dxmnkd316
    replied
    Blaming unions for putting non-union workers out of work sounds about right. Way to fall for the corporate propaganda people.
    No one did anything of the sort.

You can reread what I posted, but you won't find me blaming the unions.

Leave a comment:

• Jimjamesak
    replied
    Blaming unions for putting non-union workers out of work sounds about right. Way to fall for the corporate propaganda people.

Leave a comment:

• SJHovey
    replied
    Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    Is this still the tv thread?
    When the only thing you have in your hand is a hammer, every thread looks like a nail.

Leave a comment:

• Deutsche Gopher Fan
    replied
    Is this still the tv thread?

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    And then there's this:

The GOP is running out of uneducated racists.

By 2036, white non-grad will be 34%. When Dump was elected that number was 46%.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied
    Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

That would be nice but America doesn't believe in things like that. Kind of like we don't have universal health care.
    GenZers (Left to Liberal) are replacing Boomers (Moderate to Right). That is a big change.

Gen X was Moderate and Millenials Liberal, but GenZers seem to see through the whole thing and are sincerely Left. The last time the American economy fell apart because of wild rightwing-driven inequality, we got the New Deal.

One-third of voters were Millenial or younger in 2020.

In 2040 that number will be two-thirds.

The Nazis are, literally, dying.

Last edited by Kepler; 09-18-2023, 03:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X