TV 19 - Simpsons Did It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The Last of Us pilot was actually pretty good. I expected yet another lazy and tedious Walking Dead cash grab
    From The Last of Us? One of the best written stories in any media of the last ten years?
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• TBF, they did ruin Uncharted, the other Naughty Dog series, though I blame Mark Wahlberg for that.
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        From The Last of Us? One of the best written stories in any media of the last ten years?
        It's from the videogame of the same name. A very well done game actually.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

So far the writing just towers above the standard tv idiocy. The opening scene is one of the best establishing scenes I've seen for a dystopia. Spoiler: and the ant stuff is all absolutely true, I remember hearing about it in a philosophy lecture as an undergrad and thinking how holy balls horrific it is.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Saw a good article this weekend on the self fulfilling prophecy of Netflix cancellations.

Netflix has been so eager to cancel shows that the creator didn’t think tbry were ending , so people are now less likely to binge a show when it comes out- rather they wait to see if Netflix will allow the show to run its course before investing any time watching a show that may end on cliffhanger than is never resolved. The lack of people watching convinces Netflix to cancel shows after one or two seasons.

Netflix just seems like a mess
            It blows me away they canceled Inside Job. That was objectively a fantastic show. It was deeply seditious on the order of Bullwinkle or Get Smart, and in the same way (playing with contemporary tropes and lazy labels and then morphing them).

I guess getting inexplicably canceled is the perfect way to end it, though.
            Cornell University
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post

It's from the videogame of the same name. A very well done game actually.
              I’m well aware of that Scooby. TLOU is one of the GOATs for video games, especially story wise. I’m just baffled why Kepler would expect this be a Walking Dead knockoff.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

I’m just baffled why Kepler would expect this be a Walking Dead knockoff.
                (Because he has usually no idea what the hell he is talking about.)

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post

So far the writing just towers above the standard tv idiocy. The opening scene is one of the best establishing scenes I've seen for a dystopia. Spoiler: and the ant stuff is all absolutely true, I remember hearing about it in a philosophy lecture as an undergrad and thinking how holy balls horrific it is.
                  Of course it towers above tv idiocy, the source material towers above video game idiocy. They could half azz this and it’d still be quite good, and they didn’t half azz this.
                  I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post

(Because he has usually no idea what the hell he is talking about.)
                    True.
                    I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Of course it towers above tv idiocy, the source material towers above video game idiocy. They could half azz this and it’d still be quite good, and they didn’t half azz this.
                      So as someone who hasn’t played the game- is this markedly different than the walking dead? Cause that show started off great and then…woof

Comment

So as someone who hasn’t played the game- is this markedly different than the walking dead? Cause that show started off great and then…woof
                        Very much different from the Walking Dead. The Walking Dead has that whole ensemble cast of characters whereas TLOU is about Joel and Ellie and only Joel and Ellie.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• The problem with Walking Dead is it was uninspired and trite and mawkish right from the jump. It was the same tripe dramas peddled by tv for the last 75 years with zombies stuck onto it. Same stock characters, same inane "self-discovery" or "tragic truths" at the adolescent core of every MCU movie. An AI could have generated it.

The pilot of LTOU wasn't like that. It had some thought behind it. It didn't have the plaster human-like emotional range of a 20-something Princeton grad writer. It has some actual functioning sex organs of humanity.

Now, I don't know how long that can last with a show obviously reaching for an enormous audience. Shopping Mall Authenticity is all 90% of humanity is capable of handling. But it's off to a good start. Maybe it will get the coveted Prestige label and survive for a while as a smart show dumb people try to watch to pretend they are smart (West World). Even morons listen to Mozart cuz that's classy.

But we saw where that inevitably leads.
                          Cornell University

Comment

• You realize it’s based off of video game series right? And the lead writer for the TV series is the same person who lead development on the video games. I don’t think you have to worry about the series going full derp.
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Saw a good article this weekend on the self fulfilling prophecy of Netflix cancellations.

Netflix has been so eager to cancel shows that the creator didn’t think they were ending , so people are now less likely to binge a show when it comes out- rather they wait to see if Netflix will allow the show to run its course before investing any time watching a show that may end on cliffhanger than is never resolved. The lack of people watching convinces Netflix to cancel shows after one or two seasons.

There's also the binge model that Netflix made popular. There are certain cases where it works, but more often than not, the weekly format is superior. For example, shows like Andor and WandaVision had lackluster numbers to start, but as the weeks went by and word of mouth built, the audience grew. When each episode dropped there would be a dozen thinkpieces in mainstream media and social media would be full of recaps and speculation for future episodes. And if you hadn't been watching, it would be easy enough to catch up. The binge model eliminates that. Dropping an entire season on a Friday works great if your audience is able/willing to devote 10 hours on the weekend to binge your show. But if they can't, there is no reminder for them to go back and watch later. There is no weekly recap or speculation about your show. There is no buildup. In fact, they may feel spoiled by seeing people talk about it on social media that weekend and decide not to bother.

Netflix apparently uses a metric which shows them completion rate. If 100 people start watching a show, how many finish it? They apparently want a >50% completion rate. The binge model sucks for that because I may have a couple hours on a Friday night to start watching something but not be able to finish it right away. I may plan to watch the next couple episodes next Friday. But without that reminder to watch, the show gets lost in the shuffle. Now the metric goes down. And yeah, if I think a show I want to watch is just going to be canceled anyway, why bother starting or continuing? That again hurts the numbers.

I had been a Netflix subscriber since back in the days when they'd send you a DVD in the mail. I dropped my membership, in part because if I want to watch something on Netflix, I just wait until something big drops then I can binge that show and more for one month, then cancel. I can't really do that with Disney or HBO because the shows are weekly. So if I want to stay current on Mandalorian or House of the Dragon, that requires a multi-month commitment. Netflix has had the market to itself for so long these problems never really had to be addressed. Now they're facing stiff competition from rivals who have decades more experience programming networks successfully.

Comment

Netflix has been so eager to cancel shows that the creator didn’t think tbry were ending , so people are now less likely to binge a show when it comes out- rather they wait to see if Netflix will allow the show to run its course before investing any time watching a show that may end on cliffhanger than is never resolved. The lack of people watching convinces Netflix to cancel shows after one or two seasons.

It's surprising to me that probably the two of the three largest and most mature content streamers are going through so many problems in the last year or two.

Maybe Disney+, Prime, and Hulu are probably in the same 1A tier (maybe 1B) and I honestly haven't heard many (if any!) issues for any of these so far. HBO is obviously having the worst of the issues (who the hell pulls their own content? I've heard all the explanations, but none of them are compelling IMO.)
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X