Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WandaVision wrapped up Wanda Maximoff's "backstory" and the mid- and post- credit bits set up Captain Marvel 2 and Doctor Strange 2. The MCU phase four is off to a huge start.

What an adventure WandaVision was though. Taking all the bits from the MCU and expanding on them giving her an "origin" story while pushing forward to set up the next films was a ride. I can see where people who haven't seen seen the MCU films may not catch the references, but I feel it stands on its own.

I do wonder if The Falcon and the Winter Soldier can maintain the excitement.
    Last edited by aparch; 03-06-2021, 11:42 AM.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Biggie: I Got A Story To Tell, on Netflix. Excellent. Fantastic footage and great interviews; the writer/director really knew what he was doing. A.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Humphrey Yogart FTW

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
        iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
        gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
        Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
        Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
        TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
        DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• I don't give a **** about the royals, but it sounds like this was an absolute bombshell tonight.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Wanda Vision.

The first half of the series was perverse and ambiguous, playing around with reality and perception. It was excellent. The second half gradually settled down into MCU banality. By the finale it was just another comic book sausage with the same tired themes and thin characters nobody could care about except as archetypes.

MCU is like Italian opera or Grand Guignol melodrama. A few adolescent themes and stock characters, and then the infinite juggling of them until resolution in a small number of permitted conclusions. Just like the prior two art forms, it can be very entertaining when done well, and Wanda Vision was done very well.

B+
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Still going on Scrubs.

FOR GODSAKES, HANDY, IT'S AN INNOCENT DOLL!

No Amber, it's a collectible.
              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
              Patreon for exclusive writing content
              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                Wanda Vision.

The first half of the series was perverse and ambiguous, playing around with reality and perception. It was excellent. The second half gradually settled down into MCU banality. By the finale it was just another comic book sausage with the same tired themes and thin characters nobody could care about except as archetypes.

MCU is like Italian opera or Grand Guignol melodrama. A few adolescent themes and stock characters, and then the infinite juggling of them until resolution in a small number of permitted conclusions. Just like the prior two art forms, it can be very entertaining when done well, and Wanda Vision was done very well.

B+
                What I liked was it took some characters that had zero development in the movies and made me actually have some feelings for them. The fact that Wanda, in probably just 10 minites of MCU film, watched her brother die in Age of Ultron, Vision die twice in Infinity War, made a catastrophic mess of things in Age of Ultron, and all we got for her backstory was a quick soundbite discussing her childhood.... and they gave her nine TV episodes to build up her character so well. [Spoiler-ish:]And then they kill her love *again*.

I get that the first two-and-a-half episodes are a slow burn, but goddammed if that "jump scare" in episode three doesn't make you wonder just how far the wheels are gonna fall off.

Sure the ending was "typical Marvel," but it's a comic book, only so much you can do anyway. The ride from the end of episode three through episode eight was similar, to me, in the downfall we saw of Walter White in Breaking Bad.

The only thing that irks me is how the TV and Movie divisions refused to get on the same page until now. Agents of Shield, Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, and Daredevil all should have been able to do more than just winks and nods, but it took experimenting with a sorta-bit character from the movies for the MCU to have a light bulb moment.

I am afraid The Falcon and the Winter Soldier is going to be a letdown after the surprise meteoric rise of WandaVision.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I don't give a **** about the royals, but it sounds like this was an absolute bombshell tonight.
                  I would also throw a tantrum from my 16 bedroom mansion if daddy cut me off at nearly 40!

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                    Still going on Scrubs.

FOR GODSAKES, HANDY, IT'S AN INNOCENT DOLL!

No Amber, it's a collectible.
                    Right now Elliot is dating a Murse! Sad that that Murse is no longer "Hey look it is the guy from Silver Spoons" he is now "Hey look it is the nutjob who bailed out a murderer!".
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Right now Elliot is dating a Murse! Sad that that Murse is no longer "Hey look it is the guy from Silver Spoons" he is now "Hey look it is the nutjob who bailed out a murderer!".
                      It's Ted. I thought something smelled like hopelessness, flop sweat, and feet.
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Abject lesson in why it is terrible to have an opinion. Girlfriend watched that Oprah interview with the (not) Royals. I did not. She was annoyed I didnt watch. I said I didn't want to discuss said interview because she will hate my opinions and it isnt worth the fight. (I dont give 2 figs about the Windsors or Meghan Markel let alone Oprah) Next 20 minutes turned into a fight about how I never watch anything she wants to watch and now we are going to watch something I hate for the next week instead of Scrubs which she is enjoying. That show...The New Girl! It should be noted I wont watch any show that requires thinking with her because she has the attention span of a gnat and I am not going to spend an hour explaining what is going on cause she will tune out 5 minutes in.

I do not understand why people like Zooey Deschanel. Is it the faux hipsterness? Is it because she sings badly for no reason? Is it the fact that she is a horrid actress that has trouble even playing herself? I can deal with everyone else on the show (except the dude who plays Nick...he also sucks and is almost never funny) but good god she is just terrible and I am willing to bet she is a pain in the *** in real life to deal with. Happy Endings was a better version of this show if only because she isnt in it!

The problem my girlfriend has, and I warned her about this, is that I have seen plenty of episodes of the show so I can tune it out. I tried many times to like it because again, I like Damon Wayans Jr. and a couple of the other people on it. All she is doing is making sure I am going to be no fun for like 2 hours each night as I sit there and not really pay attention. In the end we just delayed going back to Scrubs. Hell there is a better chance she doesnt even make it a week than I wont. Thanks Oprah!
                        Last edited by Handyman; 03-09-2021, 10:17 AM.
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Abject lesson in why it is terrible to have an opinion.
                          It's never terrible to have an opinion. There are just times that it pays to be temperate in the verbal expression of said opinion.

That skill is a perishable one, and it's been my observation for some time that social media has caused it to deteriorate in many people.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Well I mean she asked if I watched it and I said no. Even told her to avoid going further to avoid exactly what happened. The only winning move was not to play. (stay downstairs and not watch TV with her)
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Changing subjects, is anyone watching the live stream of the jury selection in the Chauvin case? I watched about two minutes, and with respect to that particular juror they had a person who had pretty well decided the case. I didn't hear which way, but indicated that a certain outcome was desired.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• I would sooner let the MPD sit on my neck than watch the trial. Jury selection especially since that is going to be a **** show.
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X